Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tunedude

Jan 12

tunedude says:

Licence Confusion

Hello

Just after a bit of help with regards to were I stand about getting my full A licence

I'm 19 currently, 20 this April, and I'm currently riding my bike on a cbt and I've put in for my A2 licence for mid Feb.

All going to plan and I pass, I'd be in my 2 year restricted period. Now whilst in this period I'm going to be 21, and I'd be eligible to take the Accelerated Access course.

Now unfortunately this plan of mine seems to be going out the window, as I've learned of this new EU directive that's changing the licencing rules for learner bikers.
As I see it, my licence would then mean I'd be only eiligible to ride bikes upto 47hp, then I'd have to wait til I'm 24 to get a sports tourer, which seems.....unfair, especially as I'd love to get involved with the North West Blood Bikes.

Have I got this right, or will my licence be valid under the old licencing scheme?

regards

Ian

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 21:32)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Hi Ian

You can relax, once you've passed, you've passed and you're not going to be subjected to the more draconian legislation that comes in next year:smile

On that note, how about signing the petition to try and stop it happening at all?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27455

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tunedude

Jan 12

tunedude says:

woo hoo

aaaaahh wonderful :tongue:

and I'll sign that petition not a problem.

So just to confirm I'd be be to do the accelerated access in 2013 when I'm 21, even if these daft new rules come into force

regards

Ian

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Accelerated Access

To Confirm; once the law changes (early Jan' 2013) that's it, so for you the Direct Acess test won't be an option as by the time you're 21 the age limit for DAS will be 24. You'll just have to wait for one year longer mate for your restriction to be lifted!:upset:

Reply to this Topic
tunedude

Jan 12

tunedude says:

thanks

Well that's not too bad I suppose, it's good in a way because I don't feel going for a beefy bike only a year after passing my test would be wise, might be a bit much considering the experience I'd have :smile

I'll probably just get my RS125 derestriced and tuned upto 33hp and get my experience up on that and then move up the ranks. A properly tuned RS125 would eat a ninja 250R for breakfast :lol:

But I'm happy that once I pass my normal test I wouldn't have to take anymore after that.

regards

Ian

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

Im in a similar situation

i am in a similar situation myself

im 20 and passed my 33bhp A2 license in october 2011 (im 21 this feb) but i will still be in my 2 year restriction period when the new regs come in.

so basically am i right in thinking i wont be affected by them and no matter what the law changes to once my 2 year restriction period is up, i will gain a full unrestricted license? and not be limited to 47bhp

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Morpheusking

You are totally correct mate, you can relax and enjoy your riding:smile 

Unless you fancy spending a bit more dosh, doing DAS and getting rid of the restriction a bit earlier that is!:biggrin: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle