Skip to content

Discuss This Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’

A motorist who span across the road killing a biker could not be tried for careless driving because her tyres were mismatched, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.  The CPS says there was no point proceeding with the charge because it could not be proved the crash wasn’t caused by the tyres, which were legal but not recommended by the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 February 2012 17:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Well, its

her brothers car, so surely he should have some responsibility towards the car's upkeep??

Lot's of cars have mismatched tyres as a result of being run on a shoestring, but we don't hear about accidents there? Or do they go unreported?

Someone has just died here, so Mr Plod and VOSA should be pulling out all the stops to find an answer for his family. The fact that they aren't is nothing short of disgraceful; one wonders if Mr Wilson-Jones' family should highlight the case in the mainstream media.

The fact she had no insurance is inexcusable.

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

CIVIL PROSECUTION REQUIRED

This is one sad story for the family and friends of Mr Andrew Wilson-Jones (RIP). If his family are capable both financially and emotionally of a private prosecution where the proof of guilt is based on probability they would have I hope a very successful case.

On the subject of the tyres mis-matched this is a ridiculous excuse, I hope that our Traffic Cops who seem to enjoy their new found fame on most of todays TV shows carried out their Fatal Accident Enquiry to the best of their ability!!!

Having owned one of these cars I can recall when accelerating quickly and certainly not in racing mode this mid-engined car would spin like a washing machine without warning. That said just like us BIKERS when we speed or ride without due care and attention etc etc we can expect to get hammered by the courts as we always seem to be considered by most as second class citizens...

For this Ms Roberts to have taken a life with her conduct it is socially unexceptable for the CPS to act in the way they have. I can only hope that the victim's family can be given advice and assistance to pursue this female to the end with a "Civil Prosecution".

Reply to this Topic
ajdubas

Feb 12

ajdubas says:

Proof beyond reasonable doubt.

"It could not be proved to the standard required in a criminal trial that the mix of tyres fitted to the MG did not cause loss of control." Let me prove it now: "Rachel Roberts span across the road" It doesn't take an expert in car control to know that spinning is a result of losing traction in the REAR tyres. Therefore a mis-match in tyres on the FRONT axle is irrelevant! A mis-match is irrelevant anyway, provided that one is not of cross-ply construction and the other radial, the car is legally considered as in road-worthy condition. Oddly, I have had many cars with four different brands and tread patterns on each corner (though I try to rectify this when I can afford it) and none of them have spontaneously lost control.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

So I take it by this that all I have to do to take someone out and not be prosecuted is to put 4 diffenet tyres on my car and just plow into them. What a load of old arse!

Reply to this Topic
krustchoff

Feb 11

krustchoff says:

justice when ?

my god, it seems to be free for all when it comes to killing bikers, car drivers seem to be above the law for one reason or another(another bike of the road). careless driving or careless maintenance proceedures, doesnt matter. yet if a bike gets caught doing excessive speeds its a ban or jail. totaly wrong in every way.

ashamed of the british justice system.........

Reply to this Topic
gordonglover

Feb 04

gordonglover says:

i feel sorry for the family but my question is who said that the tyres are a missmatch in the first place ;;;; the police ? a expert from the defence? or is it just a point the defending solicitor picked up on i think the judge should resigne in dissgrace without a big fat pension

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

What an utter load of bullshit! Surely the car was examined as part of the investigation, in which case the tyre issue should have been dealt with at a far earlier stage. Between them, CPS and the courts seem hell bent on NOT locking up killer drivers. In Kent recently,  a border agency staff member drove the wrong way down a dual carriageway and killed someone. Did he go to prison? No. It seems that either the law is flawed, or those applying it in court don't understand it. Sentencing these days is pathetic; I bet that if a judge's family member gets wiped out under similar circumstances, a quick meeting at the lodge with their masonic buddy hearing the case will change the outcome. I have the utmost sympathy for the family and friends of Mr. Wilson - Jones; they must feel totally disgusted and let down by a legal system which is supposedly designed to punish wrong doers. The message that comes across to all is that if you want to kill someone, with no fear of proper punishment, use a car.

Reply to this Topic
Fz6daveg

Mar 09

Fz6daveg says:

Sh1te legal system !!!

I agree entirely with what billysollocks said below. Why didn't the owner of the car get prosecuted too for allowing the tyres to be fitted on the car wrongly? Surely he has a duty of care and he must have passed the keys on to his sister, or will he claim she took it without his knowledge??

It's common sense to use equal tyres on each axle or have i just made that up !! Even Garages should be made by law not to fit different tyres to a car or that are not rated for the car. Your Insurance is void if you fit a tyre that does not match the minimum rating stated by the manufacturer.

I hope the car got crushed for driving with no insurance but i bet my wages it never. You hear of all the stories of police stopping people going over the speed limit by 3 or 4mph. They should start more spot checks on cars and if they used the same amount of effort as they do with the anti drink drive campaigns they will find hundreds of vehicles either un-road worthy or dripping oil everywhere.

Rant over!!

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

cobblers

As part of the current driving test all drivers are expected to know how to assess their tyres suitability for the vehicle...failing to do so is careless and as such driving the vehicle would also be careless....the CPS f..d up again by not looking into the facts and also by not being insured she should have been charged with death by reckless driving since she was on the road illegally. The mismatched tyres farce is a load of cobblers as that died out with the old crossply tyres....over 90%of tyres produced are not recommended for any car specically...so long as the speed and load ratings match the cars design specs then it legal to use them. Hopefully an inquest will get to the route cause and give the poor family some form of answers...accidents don't just happen....someone or something failed to do the job it was meant to do. Overall sounds like the Police and CPS can't be arsed to proceed with the case....I don't care if the case gets booted out for a lack of evidence etc but let the family see in court exactly what has been done rather than some wishy washy letter.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Absolutely bloody ridiculous.

So thats what we get for killing people now is it? Us Brits have to deal with people killing and only getting charged £600 and 100 hours work?!

So basically, less than 3 weeks work, and £600? Banned from driving for a year?

Absolutely furious.

The tyres aren't the fucking issue, she was driving uninsured. And ofcourse she was fucking driving dangerously, SHE SPUN THE DAMN CAR.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices