Skip to content

Discuss This Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Mismatched tyres ‘could have caused fatal smash’

A motorist who span across the road killing a biker could not be tried for careless driving because her tyres were mismatched, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.  The CPS says there was no point proceeding with the charge because it could not be proved the crash wasn’t caused by the tyres, which were legal but not recommended by the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 February 2012 17:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

So who fitted the tyre? Surely, the company would have advised her if the pair were suitable?

Her solicitor just wangled a lesser penalty using the tyres as an excuse. The real culprit and, person responsible, has just killed someone and was driving without insurance. It may have been an accident but the fact she was driving without insurance means she should be put inside for 5 years in my books. It's about time the courts got tough with insurance dodgers.

Meanwhile, an innocent person just travelling home has been killed. This really isn't any justice for the family of Mr Wilson-Jones.

Reply to this Topic
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

depressing

Does this not hightlight a further issue with young drivers (24 years old) driving around in sports cars. Where are the restrictions on their licences? Not to metion, and apologies to any female readers, most young women seem to be as bad as young men these days and drive with their vaginas and not their brain, in their own little world with no thought for the consequences updating their facebook page whilst they drive.There is definately a bias towards the poor little car driver in bike related "accidents" in the courts that MCN and other publications needs to seriously investigate.

Mosts of the courts have magistrates sitting on the bench who most definately are not a cross section of modern society and have a very limited frame of refeference and do not necessarily posess any legal qualifications (unlike judges). Most of them aren't in it for the law, its about the status and climbing the social ladder, they pass sentence depending on their mood and whether they like look of you. Bikers on the whole are at a disadvantage right from the start because many of them think we're asking for it any way riding, one of those "contraptions" and we don't represent "their" kind of people. The CPS are shit scared in getting it wrong, mostly due to the bad press that comes from collapsed cases etc so choose not to prosecute unless it's 100% watertight.. It's not about the truth, it's about feeding the best line of bulshit that will stick.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"Mismatched tyres would surely only be an issue were the car to be put into a situation where they would be said to be acting near the limits of adhesion"

This, times a million. The CPS need to man up and take on these cases rather than cutting deals.

Are they really saying that anyone with non-OEM - but all perfectly legal - tyres on their car can't be proven beyond reasonable doubt to be responsible for a loss of control? I don't think I've got two tyres the same, let alone OEM originals, on any of my cars or bikes. So, that's me free to drive or ride like a loon and blame crashes on the rubber then? I don't think so.

I am sure, I am certain, that if she'd taken out anyone other than a biker, that they'd be laughing at her ridiculous defence and throwing the book at her. Our lives are just so cheap.

Reply to this Topic
ars161065

Jun 09

ars161065 says:

murder

how is it that a stupid young thief and it is theft she took a vehicle without permission is given the right to kill by the cps they are incompetent morons,if she had killed a child or police officer there would be outrage but yet again an improperly trained driver gets off free killing a biker this is blatant discrimination against a race of people who ride instead of being in a box with too many safety feature's and think the car will do all the thinking and bikers and cyclist don`t matter.so is now anyone who kills with on the road can just say sorry my tyres were to blame,the wife of Mr Wilson-Jones should surely now sue the tyre company that fitted these tyres,but she should not have to the cps are supposed to protect the innocent we just don`t seem to be in that category, surprise surprise.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Sorry to harp on about the "Couldn't Prosecute Shit", or CPS, but they really are inept. The death of a biker really is beneath them, or so it seems. I notice they haven't seen fit to explain themselves publicly. What a useless bunch of highly paid, over rated tossers, they really  are. The lawyer making this decision should be prosecuted for perverting the course of justice. Mind you, they'd fuck that up, no doubt..... 

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

shoot the bitches knee caps out with shot gun so she can never get behind the wheel again

this is a total disgrace, people need to start making there own justice

Reply to this Topic
b3bmcwi

May 07

b3bmcwi says:

A Technicality

The Charge - Careless Driving.

The Facts (as reported!) - a person driving her sibling's car, without insurance; immediately prior to the accident she had overtaken another vehicle - on the A495, a single-lane-each-way road in a heavily built up area. She lost control of the vehicle and as a direct result, another road user died.

The Technicality: CPS could not prove the loss of control was not the result of mis-matched tyres on the vehicle. Quoted the tyre manufacturer specification that the two tyres concerned should not be used together.

Why this shouldn't matter: Under the DVLA definition of a driver's legal responsibility, the driver should have had insurance - she did not. That alone should indicate a careless driving charge, before she even turned the key. Also, the laws concerning vehicle maintenance under the Highwway Code don't specify mismatched tyres as far as I can see - just that they're in good condition and correctly inflated. Speculatively I'm willing to wager whomever she overtook could help prove she exceeded the speed limit in her overtaking manoevre and was also either at or above the speed limit when the incident occurred, driving too fast for the road conditions in a built up and busy area. What was the prodecution response to the defence claim that because the tyres weren't matched, the responsibility wasn't hers? Did she check these before she set off? Did she know the correct pressure as was her responsibility under the Highway Code?

"admitted a less serious charge of causing death by driving uninsured.." - MCN, not good enough. No such charge. It's 'Causing death by driving while uninsured'. You can't kill someone by not having insurance! That's saying if she'd been insured, nobody would have died.

Highway Code on Vehicle Maintenance: www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069871

DVLA drivers legal responsibility: http://tinyurl.com/2uywub

Sorry about the rant - this kind of sloppy prosecution makes me angry for the bereaved. 12 months disqualification? The max for the charge that the driver admitted is 2 years imprisonment. What was the justification for not handing out the maximum?

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

then again

this would only lead to her getting compo and someone doing time unless......someone takes her out with a car with different tyres on each corner!!!

all this aside this isent right condolences to the family

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

In future...

... I will be running mis-matched tyres just in case I'm in an accident... wouldn't want it to be my fault would I?

Reply to this Topic
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

b3bmwcwi:" What was the justification for not handing out the maximum?"

She probably fluttered her eye lashes, showed a bit of cleavage and got all emotional on the stand, doubless as she did when she took her driving test..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices