Skip to content

Discuss This New Harley-Davidson 72 and Softail Slim unveiled New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Harley-Davidson 72 and Softail Slim unveiled

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

New Harley-Davidson 72 and Softail Slim unveiled

Say hello to Harley-Davidson’s brand new ‘Seventy-Two’ and Softail Slim – its two major new model releases for 2012. The XL1200V Seventy Two is based on the 1200 Sportster and inspired by the metalflake and ape-hangered customs of the early 1970s – hence the name. Key features are its small peanut tank, high, pull back bars, big 21 inch wire front wheel,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 February 2012 09:59)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Slim

£14k's a bit rich for an entry-level softy fo people to use as a base for customising - and isn't that what the blackline was for? (though the slim makes a far better baseline). Can see '72 sales hitting Streetbob sales too; perhaps Streetbob's on its way out now?

Reply to this Topic
bikenutter

Dec 10

bikenutter says:

Not again...

Christ everytime harley release a "new" bike and slap a price on it, it's like a commercial for Victory and Triumph

Reply to this Topic
gravelrash

Aug 02

gravelrash says:

Another load of expensive crap from the biggest joke in motorbiking! How do they persuade otherwise normal sensible people to part with that much cash for something so badly finished, lacking in quality parts, slow, overweight and poorly braked? A fool and his money are easily parted.

Reply to this Topic
Woodystock

Jul 09

Woodystock says:

72 is an uninspiring piece but the Slim looks rather pleasant, one of the most appealing HD bike along with the Iron and Street Glide. Well, of course these bikes are heavy and inefficient compared to competition, but when you ride them, you don´t care about it at all. So what?! That rumble and shakes, the hammering clunk when you change gears, it all feel so "real", that riding it is a rewarding experience you can´t really explain. Ride one or shall remain silent forever...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Religion or Cult?

In the US, owning a H-D has taken on an almost cult or religious status.

Keep in mind that most H-D owners have never ridden anything else, besides maybe a small dual-sport in a long forgotten MSF beginner class, so they do not know better. Furthermore, in the US, motorcycles mostly are ridden as weekend toys and not transportation, so the defects are more easily overlooked.

Reply to this Topic
gravelrash

Aug 02

gravelrash says:

Mr Woodstock; thank you for patronising me but for your information I have ridden HDs. I even tried ownership of a 1200 Sportster (what a contradiction in terms that is!) but moved on after I had to spend  a fortune on making it go, stop and handle to the normal standards and performance you have a right to expect of a modern motorcycle.  Let's take a look at your comments and dig a little deeper - so your bike rumbles and shakes; that means it is poorly designed and engineered, stuck in the past and the HD engineers (if there are any) are unable to rectify its faults. Your geabox gives off a hammering clunk when you change gear - FFS and you find that acceptable? are you seriously happy to spend way over the top for a bike that hammers and clunks. Basically HD are unable to design a gearbox that doesn't resemble a pre-war, pre-synchromesh crash box on an old truck.  But the biggest problem of all with HD ownership was the embarrassment of being identifed with other Harley owners all clad in their HD leathers, HD bandana, HD badges, HD sew on patches, HD leather waistcoats blah blah blah.  Weekend warriors who  had just tried to buy themselves a lifestyle before going back to their suits and 9-5 jobs in banking and accountancy on Monday morning.

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

I enjoy all types of riding

Can't see why people get so angry about Harleys - it's just a different style of riding. I have a couple of modern Triumphs and enjoy hurtling around on them. They're fast, handle well, brake well and the Sprint GT has loads of luggage space for touring. I also enjoyed an MV Agusta F4 312 and a VFR1200 but you can't use them at their max on he road for very long, so I also enjoy chuffing around on a Harley for completely different reasons. I love the feeling of raw machinery underneath me - it's so different to a modern engine with its perfect fuelling and lack of vibes. I enjoy doing 90 on a Harley, as it feels like you're actually contributing something to the experience, rather that just being there while the bike barely notices. Yes they're expensive, but I think they're well built and beautifully finished. OK so there's the odd part that's not up to scratch, but so what? I love riding old British bikes too, but the amount of maintenance required is too much for me with my job now, so a Harley rental now and then gives me the same pleasure without the pain. I might even chop one of the Triumphs in for one this year, and I'm sure I won't regret it. Oh, and I won't be doing it for the image either. Each to his own on that one.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices