Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph Speed Triple R: The harder you ride, the better it gets First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Triumph Speed Triple R: The harder you ride, the better it gets

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph Speed Triple R: The harder you ride, the better it gets

Triumph has added a dynamic new dimension to the hugely popular Speed Triple by giving it the 'R' treatment. For an extra £2500 over the standard version (£8799), which was released (and heavily revamped) in 2011, you get Ohlins suspension, lightweight forged aluminium wheels, Brembo monobloc brakes, a host of cosmetic goodies and a 2kg reduction in weight. It also has a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 February 2012 12:11)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

This was the bike I was so looking forward to seeing the review of. Great review Neevesy too and It was going well until I turned the page and behold a KTM 1290 Super Duke!

My 05 Speedy is great. Ohlins rear, tweaked front end & loads of extras. Better than standard? yes definitely. Better than the 2011 model? possibly but performance statistics would say otherwise. Better than the 'R'? I doubt very much but here's the thing. I'm thinking I would rather splash the cash on either a Ducati 848 Streetfighter S or, more likely, wait for the 1290 KTM. The 'R' isn't as an exciting prospect for me as either the Duke or the KTM.

Maybe I felt a bit let down by the 2011 styling, maybe I just want a change but the 'R' isn't really doing it for me.

Reply to this Topic
perfectweb

Jan 05

perfectweb says:

Facts Right Please?

Guys, can you please sort out your Triumph models once and for all? There have been constant Speed Triple / Street Triple mix ups in articles in the past. Now you say "Like the 675cc Street Triple R, which was released last year". Well the Street Triple R model was not released last year, and does not have (a pity) Ohlins etc, however the 675 Daytona R was released with Ohlins and other goodies. So which one is it?

Also When describing the gearbox changes the description on page 4 of MCN finishes with "Sixth gear ratio is now 3.4%..........." What? higher, lower, shorter, longer.

Come on guys you get paid for this!

Reply to this Topic
perfectweb

Jan 05

perfectweb says:

And another one!!

C'mon guys, you really are winding me up now, in the MCN Motorcycle Guide pull out, under the "I've Ridden It" (of the Speed Triple R). "You can ride the Street Triple R like a racer......" New proof reader required!

Reply to this Topic
955nsim

Jul 10

955nsim says:

losing focus ??

I love my Triumphs,but it has to be said that I think that they are losing their way with the 'Speedy' Almost everybody I have spoken to,strongly dislike the headlight set up;only really bearable with the screen at best;and have spoken to a few people who have decided against buying one because of the looks.I really hope that Triumph bite the bullet and offer a cosmetic fix.If Triumph are going to offer an 'R' version,then what is the point if the engine is no different to the cheaper standard model.Track-day riders,tend not to be the biggest buyers of the Speed-Triple.The 'Speed' is a great bike,but..it's losing any distinctive identity..it's losing ground against more imaginatively styled competitors..KTM ,Ducati,Kawasaki,Aprilia.etc.The 'Speed' was 'the' bike to have at one time,but Triumphs timid approach has thrown the new model into the fray without enough fire-power or style to entice new buyers to this model.By the way If I am proved wrong I will happily eat my words and admit my ignorance about the bike buying public.I have ridden the older model and it was a superb experience...something appears to have got lost in it's new incarnation..a great shame!

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

955nsim

I agree mate. I think you have to love Speed Triples to want to buy the latest 2011 model and then think "ah, sod the money, I'll go for the R instead" beacuse there alot of better looking bikes out there with similar or better performance. I think Triumph were hoping to attract those wanting to step up from the Street but that is such a great bike, I'm not sure many would fork out the extra money.

I was underwhelmed when I rode the 2011 model. Yes, it had some nice improvements but I decided to put up with my old model because I love it and didn't want to lose it just for the sake of having the latest one, which I wasn't wetting my pants about, and spend a big pile of cash into the bargain.

I've actually grown to dislike the 2011 model because, for me it isn't a Speed Triple anymore, just a 1050cc Street. Some might say that's not a bad thing but it's lost it's appeal for me.

If Triumph make an 800 Street, then they have to go down the 1200 Speed route next, otherwise there's little point in having a 1050 Speed when there's an 800 Street. Then there's the extra weight a 1200 would impose. Now a 1200 v twin starts to make sense or dare I say a 1290 KTM v twin!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle