Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Weston

Feb 12

Weston says:

Helmet headache

Morning ,

I currently have an x lite 802 helmet which unfortunately gives me a headache and rubs on my forehead. 

Is there anything I can do to the current helmet to stop this or do I need to buy a new one?  If I need a new one which brands will better fit my oval head?

Ta

W

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 February 2012 11:01)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

headache

Welcome Weston,i had the same problem years ago but only the leading edge at one side above the eyebrow,i managed to compress it with a hammer SHAFT.

Since then i buy a lid just before a haircut and wearing a thin balaclava.

What area are you talking and is it the edge?

Reply to this Topic
Weston

Feb 12

Weston says:

Helmet headache

Jaffa

It's smack bang in the middle of my forehead and i think it's from the edge of the helmet padding.

W

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

edge

If it`s the edge that`s ok your head will have an impression but if not try a shoei or other make with my first post reply.

Are you sure it`s not the cold air hitting that part of the head?

Reply to this Topic
Aarron

Oct 10

Aarron says:

Helmet

As Jaffa has said if you really like the helmet, slightly crush the foam towards where the pain is, not use to much force you only need it to make an impression & from then it wil form around your forehead.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Whoa Chaps!

Crushing the polystyrene at the front of the helmet may well allow your helmet to fit but, as the aformentioned polystyrene is the stuff that absorbs the impact in a crash you've rendered the helmet Knackered!! The reason there's so much polystyrene & not much padding at the front is deliberate, it gives you More impact absorbtion properties (or would've if you haden't just flattened it!!:blink:) around the most vital part of your brain (at least for most people:wacko: ) the Prefrontal Cortex; this is the area of the brain that makes you, you! Without it you're usually, derogatorily, referred to as a "cabbage"! 

If your helmet doesn't fit Change it! See my reply to your other post on the same subject :smile

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=425211

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Get an Arai

Yes people say they are dear but you can get a year old desiegn race rep for half the price ( probably cheaper than a  Xlite , Agv etc .OH ! and stay well clear of Shark helmets loads of mates have complained about them rubbing forheads .I would have baught a Foggy rep years ago but I knew it would be uncomfortable.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Helmet troubles.

Shoei and Arai helmets are fashionable because racers wear them but they're meant for track use not normal road use, they are much more comfortable helmets out there with great safety ratings.

DON'T modify your helmet in any way, its safety equipment and its vital you dont mess up your lid.

Edit: I have a shark s800 and its fine as long as you're not doing 90 on an unfaired bike for nearly 2 hours, then it pushes into your head.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

pushing foreheads

will happen on naked bikes - you have air pressure pushing it into your forehead.

Arai, etc do make road helmets. They focus on track and that's where they make their name. If you ride a sports bike then a sports helmet is appropriate due to the riding position. If you ride an upright motorcycle then most of their range is not suitable. For a crash it's not relevant.

Shark do a top of the range hat which comes in two models, one for sports bikes and one for more upright bikes.

As for modification - a small amount of pressure to expedite the normal bedding in is fine. Over time heat and pressure will deform the inner layer of polystyrene anyway and many hats have another small gel layer before this.

Any helmet will push into your head if you're on and upright bike. It's not the helmet, it's the fact that the air is hitting it and pushing it onto your head. Design can do little about this unless it made the front pointy.

Yes there's an element of fashion and buying into a name but the right helmet is the one that fits and is designed for the type of motorcycle you ride - sports, upright, or in between. There are helmets more geared towards track use, but if you're riding a supersport then it's perfectly appropriate for the road.

Reply to this Topic
MotoMan2

Nov 11

MotoMan2 says:

helmet

The helmet you have might not be the right size for your head so I'd go ahead and begin shopping! 

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

Helmet fit problems

I know how you feel weston, i suffer from the same problem even thou i take a xs. I tried many many brands and found the only one that fitted was arai. In my case a chaser(mid range road helmet) and the tour x 3(think ewan and charley long way round and long way down)Both fit the more oval shaped amongst us and are very comfy and have great venting and pinlocks. Hope this helps you l&r:smile:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle