Skip to content

Discuss This Staff bikes: MV Agusta Brutale - Life's more fun naked First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Staff bikes: MV Agusta Brutale - Life's more fun naked

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Staff bikes: MV Agusta Brutale - Life's more fun naked

It's been an amazing year with a bike that managed to combine a muscular engine with fantastic styling and almost daily use, including commuting and lovely trips on some amazing British roads. The huge 23-litre fuel tank gives an easy 220-mile range - brilliant for a naked bike which is comfortable enough for all-day riding. Collecting the bike from the Varese factory...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 February 2012 11:28)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
alvaro1976

Oct 10

alvaro1976 says:

please tell me how you drive across two countries in a day without any kind of wind protection without either losing your neck or going nuts] I have a naked bike and like me, nobody I know goes too far without some sort of screen Then we have some young readers who may believe you can go anywhere with a naked bike, and you do, but not going very fast...nakeds are cool and pretty but after my experience I want some fairing! mainly because limitations when touring. God im thick today

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Naked 1000cc Bikes.

Quite fancy a CB1000R myself, but they really are hanging onto their values compared to the same year Fireblades. 2008-onwards. Which is what i have at present.

Reply to this Topic
parablob

May 09

parablob says:

Naked 1000cc

Having come off sport 1000,s on to nakeds 3 yrs ago i love just them all,Tthe Brutale  is a lovely looking bike, I had a cb1000r for two yrs a good bike but lifeless and now got a 2010 Z1000 its head and shoulders above the honda and tripple speed in my opinion, But realy they are all brill bikes enjoy riding! wind blast and rain nothing to it just grit your teeth and go

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

23 liter tank...now there...what is that hard?? God I love these bikes.

Reply to this Topic
Brized

Jul 09

Brized says:

I've got the 2010 Zed Thou too, superb bit of fun!

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Nakeds Tour Too.

Alvaro, give the nakeds a chance.  They do quite well for touring.  Done Texas to Alaska 3 times, Texas to Nova Scotia once and Texas to Panama once all on nakeds.  Lots of miles on them in between those trips as well.  Longest trip was 12,000 miles in 3 weeks on a tube frame Buell X1.  I was 32 at the time.  I have more issue with faired bikes that leave a vaccuum pocket behind the windscreen and buffet the hell out of the helmet and create tons of wind noise.   Not an issue on the nakeds.

Reply to this Topic
doggy600k5

Oct 11

doggy600k5 says:

Andy Thanks for the blogs and updates .You helped make my mind up to get a 920! .The Brutale is a great bike, love mine even though not been out on it much lately . Got a weeks road trip booked for June heading down into Italy and we are staying very near Varese so might try and pop into the factory .

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

Alvaro and doggy600k5

Thanks for the comments.

Alvaro I have never had any issues doing big distances on naked bikes. I rode a Kawasaki Z1000 from England to Brno in the Czech Republic and back in five days for World Superbikes in 2007 which was great fun. There's no point going loony in terms of speed on long trips as the bike uses too much fuel and what you gain in speed you lose in time on the road. Stick to 80 to 85mph and it all goes smoothly. Having said that I did manage to max the Z1000 out on the German autobahn for quite a bit. I can't remember exactly how fast it was but it was definitely north of an indicated 160mph which I didn't think was too bad considering I had a tank bag and a rucksack on! My mate's Suzuki GSX-R750 was quite a bit faster though as he headed off into the distance at about 175mph.

In 2009 I rode a BMW K1300R to Akrapovic in Slovenia via the BMW Museum in Munich over a couple of days. And on the way back, despite not actually planning to do it in one go, I rode the 1100-odd miles back from the Akrapovic to Northamptonshire in one hit. I was a bit tired by the end but that's only because I had ridden all through the night. I didn't intend to do the whole trip in one go but once I got going it was great and so much easier riding at night on the motorways around Brussels towards Calais. I also rode the K1300R over to the Nurburgring the same year and as well as the ride over being a breeze I also managed to notch up about 300 miles around the Nurburgring as part of a three day training course.

I find naked bikes more comfortable than sportsbikes because of the riding position which on a naked bike is less likely to cause aches and pains despite the lack of fairing. Wind protection is only of benefit if it complements a comfortable riding position. I will tour on any sort of bike; it really doesn't matter to me but you just have to adjust your expectations from the bike. You don't need a screen but it can help.

Doggy600k5...glad you are enjoying the Brutale 920. I reckon it's could be the best of the range as the others are a bit too mental and extreme whereas the 920 has the looks but is nicer to ride. A change of tyres when you have worn out the Pirellis Angel STs will reveal a plusher ride too. Try something like a Pirelli Diablo Corsa or Dunlop SportSmart which both really suited the bike. Both were good wet or dry too. have fun and let me know how you are getting on in 2012.

regards

Andy Downes

MCN Senior Reporter

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle