Skip to content

Ask an Expert help with claim settlement please Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > help with claim settlement please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jaydavid73

Feb 12

jaydavid73 says:

help with claim settlement please

hi all

i am wondering if anyone has any advice for me please. i have just had an accident on my 6 day old vespa px 125 (not my fault) and the insurance company has offered me £2650 as a cat c write off. also offered £2350 salvage. now as i say the bike is less than a week old and purchased at a cost to me of £3000 so it seems i am losing money on this. i dont know is it worth salvage the bike take the £2350 as its a cat c with pretty much just cosmetic damage to bodywork or can i ask for more on the claim being it only 6 day old? any help is greatly appreciated 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 February 2012 11:59)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

jaydavid73

Never accept first offer, and as your Vespa was only six days old at the time of the accident then I would of thought it reasonable to expect the amount of money to replace the vehicle you lost due to another persons carelessness.

Could you go to a supplier and replace your damaged vehicle for the amount you are being offered, answer is no, therefore full replacement value price only is acceptable.  

Reply to this Topic
Aarron

Oct 10

Aarron says:

Take the money & fix the bike

Bikes lose there value the day you buy them, for you to only be out by £650 have the bike & the money I wouldn't complain atall, fix it up £300-400 then be on your way.

Look at your insurance documents & speak with your insurer, they place the value with it being 'Market Value' not the excat amount you pay so your lucky to be out by £650 rather than £3k. Your lucky the bikes salvageable.

Reply to this Topic
jaydavid73

Feb 12

jaydavid73 says:

salvage or not ?

will it mean the salvage offer that i get my bike back and cheque for £2350 though? as this is seeming best option so far then also included picture of the damage. can i also ask for a repair report to see what needs doing exactly? thanks again.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

doesnt look too bad really mate... take the money and the bike and get it fixed.. then enjoy what money u have left over

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Keep shoving them

for a better offer - insurers will take the piss with the first offer to see if you'll bite.

Its true that it'll lose value as soon as it moves out of the showroom - but £650 in a week seems a bit much.

Bear in mind also, cat c is going to be recorded on DVLA files and show up on an HPI check (therefore bringing its value down in future if you sell due to history). It's not unknown for cat c to have structural faults (ie has your frame been damaged?)

The other bit is you will still have the balance of the warranty remaining (thus fixing it yourself may void it).

Given its new, I'd push for a professional inspection and more money.

Reply to this Topic
jaydavid73

Feb 12

jaydavid73 says:

salvage?

if i opt for salvage am i entitled to see the repair report to look at what damage there is beforehand of deciding? also i live in swansea and the insurance company took bike to bournemouth so whos responsible of returning the bike if take salvage? im new to all this so bit stuck on what is best so thanks for replies so far helps shed some light on situation. i would like them to replace new for old being as only 6 days old but im thinking thats no chance then? i wont insure with bennets thats for sure. i have 4 diff companies dealing with my claim its ridicolous

Reply to this Topic
jaydavid73

Feb 12

jaydavid73 says:

insurance offer

just spoke to my insurer bdl (absolute crap) and they also think offer was low but did say i prob wont get back full value 3k even though bike less than week old. not happy as not my fault and yet my premium will go up and im out of pocket. prob will take salvage after seen report

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

jaydavid73

Contact ACIC who is this sites legal expert with reference to accident claims.

www.bikelawyer.co.uk

He's yer man for this sort of thing.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

"write-off" - a caution

Hello JayDavid - one thing to be careful about when fixing up a "write-off" is that they can be the devil themselves to get insured again.   Most companies either won't touch it, demand a "full engineer's report", and/or a ridiculous premium.  Not trying to put you off, just warning that there might be unpleasant surprises.

Reply to this Topic
jaydavid73

Feb 12

jaydavid73 says:

help

how do i contact him? im really stuck now as what to do after hearing will be expensive to reinsure. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices