You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Ducati 916 Tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

alz916

Apr 10

alz916 says:

Ducati 916 Tyres

Hi I would like some advice on what tyres to buy for my 1998 Ducati 916 120/70/17 and 190/50/17 though it will take a 180/55/17 rear. I have had the bike for 5 years and fitted a set of Michelin pilot sport when I got the bike. I have been happy with the handling not having ridden this  bike  on any other tyres. I have covered  aprox  4000 miles ( 2 track days at Knockhill ) Though there is still tread on the front (1/3 more on rear) it picked up a nail so it’s time for new tyres. I believe more modern rubber is required. I ride the Ducati mainly at weekends (  with  the very occasional track day) mostly in the dry but it is Scotland so wet is par for the course . I would also like to know why I go through a front tyre before the rear , my other 2 bikes BMW R90s and K100 use 2 rears for 1 front. I am a big lad at just over 16st.

Thanks

Alistair                                  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 February 2012 22:59)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Welcome alz916, I think you`ve done well to get 4,000m on any sports tyre front or rear, i would keep to the sizes as original  and try pilot power.The front will wear more because your slim weight like me is more forward than the beamers.Also what tyre pressures are you using on the road?

https://www.bctmotorcycles.co.uk/catalogue/tyresearch.jsp;jsessionid=amZmBjCxak1c

https://www.bctmotorcycles.co.uk/catalogue/tyresearch.jsp

select pairs and 190/50/17 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
alz916

Apr 10

alz916 says:

ducati tyres

Thanks for the reply tyre pressures are f32 r35 psi as per manual. I tried the link to BCT it has a bewildering choice of tyres. On reading this weeks MCN the R6 rider  was given advise on Dunlop Sportsmarts as well as others. I liked the sound of a tyre that warms up quickly gives good grip in the dry and wet. Would this suit my 916, with my 6' 5" and 16st frame. or another option?

Thanks

Alistair

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

If you liked the Pilot Sports

Try Pilot Power 2CT's. I've tried Sport Smarts and switched back to Power 2CT's because I didn't find the Sport Smarts any better on my V twin, and they were slightly cheaper.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

tyre choice

The 916 has got the sportiest riding position of your three bikes and you also weigh a fair bit and I bet you like to brake hard too, which would explain the wear rates. As to tyres, you’re spoilt for choice with Michelin Power Pures, Dunlop Sportsmarts , Metzeler Sportec M5s and Bridgestone ST20s. This latest generation of rubber should fit your broad range of needs better than the Pilot Sports. As to rear tyre size, check the rim width. 95% of 916s use a 5.5” rim and you need a 180/55 x 17. However if it’s marked as a six-incher you can fit a 190/50 x 17

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices