Skip to content

Discuss This IAM's 'unfair' claims over bike safety General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > IAM's 'unfair' claims over bike safety

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

IAM's 'unfair' claims over bike safety

The Institute of Advanced Motorists has been accused of unfairly focussing on motorcyclists with claims of rising casualties. An IAM release states that 18 motorcyclists were killed or seriously injured a day from July to September 2011, up 2% on the year before. The release says motorcycle casualties remained 'stagnant' compared to figures for cars and calls on police and government...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 February 2012 09:28)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Why link to poor riding

Whether by design or by "accident" the IAM are intrinsically linking the stagnant figures to amongst other things poor riding - "bad riding behaviour".

Where in the statistics is this borne out? Rather this is the IAM's prejudiced intepretation of the stats.

Perhaps the increase was caused by - poor driving behaviour!!

Either way I think the IAM can take their courses, their tabbards and stick them where the freaking sun don't shine. Why give our hard earnt to a group that clearly doesn't support the biking community but instead is acting in as blinkered a fashion as it is.

What % of bikers do additional training compared with car drivers? I bet the figures would show more bikers undertake voluntary training than car drivers any day of the week.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

IAM

These IAM people think they are brilliant, however it wasn't that many years ago now that pretty much every m/c accident i heard of was a member of a local IAM club in the south of England. 

One of the guys, who is a friend, rides like a tool in the name of "making progress" but is often downright dangerous, sorry but advanced training can make you believe you are invincible and that is when a rider is most at risk.

Reply to this Topic
trannie680

Jun 09

trannie680 says:

Good point.

Obewan has a point, maybe it is car drivers that are changing the stats! And although I am involved with a local IAM group, I share his feelings regarding the central IAM. But if Neil Greig and his croney's are not interested in bikers, I can Guarantee your local group are. They give up their time because they enjoy riding and want to help others to do likewise safely. Tomorrow someone will, sadly, die on a motorbike. You have to ask yourself, would that accident have happened if they had had training?

Reply to this Topic
Charro

Mar 08

Charro says:

Forget the Stats…

Well apart from MCN wallowing in the wake of Visordown, who broke this story last week, and the BMF hunting for some badly needed publicity exactly what are the IAM up to.

Simples.

The IAM is a business and needs to generate income. Hence they are busily lobbying the Government to introduce mandatory post test training for motorcyclists and scooterists.

So is the IAM interested in reducing motorcycle casualties or increasing its income.

You choose!

Reply to this Topic
stevowarrior

Jun 06

stevowarrior says:

worth remembering

Statistics never lie - they simply conceal the truth !!

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Lies dam lies and statistics....nuff said

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

?

What do people not get about riders being more VULNERABLE! There is probably miles less crashes involving cars/bike than car/car its just they cars have air bags and bikes have lamp posts.

Reply to this Topic
ZMC888

Nov 09

ZMC888 says:

Some IAM instructors really seem to believe that trusting other vehilces not to pull out of junctions is OK, to flash lights or weave so the other driver will notice you? If they pull out aand you get hurt that's OK as the car driver was at fault? This is insane.

Sure, other vehicles are not supposed to pull out of junctions in front of you or run red lights but that doesn't mean they won't. People compain about cars injuring them all the time, my question is after having ridden in China of 10 years extensively around much of the rest of Asia why the hell does anyone even allow a car driver to get near them in the first place? I'd never ride past a junction with a waiting car signaling turning right at 60MPH on a normal road, I can't do it. This is because if you that in Asia the car will pull out and you'll end up in hospital or worse, so you gear down to 20-30MPH and cover your brakes. Sounds crazily defensive, but this is the reality of riding most places in the world.

You just have to approach every junction, every red light etc with a speed slow enough to stop or have a planned escape route, no exceptions. This trusting other road users to see nonsense will get you hurt, even in the UK sooner or later. Try riding in Spain, Greece, India or China and you will understand what a pile of crap some of their ideas are. I agree with having advanced training, but it only has a meaning if it is actually univerally worthwhile and applicable.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

#Smartroad!

You said what I was thinking, its ridiculous that we see statistics without knowing who was at fault. If a bike club on a day out are stopped at the lights and are hit by a sleeping lorry driver who kills them, the government will look at the stats and say ' ooh, these guys need more training/ shouldn't ride in groups more than 2 etc instead of looking at the FACTS!!! I've been a member of the IAM for nearly 33 years but if this is their attitude, this may well be my last year.

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Truth be told

Both parties (IAM & BMF) are right! But both are playing “the game” (The IAM of increasing their Influence/ membership and BMF of being seen to be “affronted” and “defending” bikers)
The DfT report DOES say that the 3rd Quarter of 2011 showed an increase over previous 3rd quarters BUT does go on to mention
“The quarterly figures are based on estimates. It should be noted that no single quarter's figures should be taken in isolation, especially if they appear to show a change in trend, as there are quarter-to-quarter fluctuations particularly in the smaller categories of road user”

Comparing ourselves with pedestrians does no real good at all. There are a LOT more of them (think about it we’re ALL pedestrians at some part of our journey) but as a proportion of users we represent a significant number of casualties (often quoted as 2% of the traffic but 20% of the causalities)
And as for highlighting that cyclists’ casualties are going up talk about making the bullets…
Perhaps it’d be better if we stopped sniping at each other and focused on addressing that? (A good start might be he DfT reinstating the “still born” Think Bike/Think Biker ads? Perhaps MCN could ask Mike “the bikers friend” Penning his views on that?)

GV8

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices