Skip to content

Discuss This Alvaro Bautista impressed with Honda electronics MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Alvaro Bautista impressed with Honda electronics

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Alvaro Bautista impressed with Honda electronics

Alvaro Bautista reckons Honda’s electronics are so well advanced that when he made his RC213V 1000cc debut in Sepang last week he felt slower than Suzuki’s 800! The Spaniard finished ninth with a best time 2.01.384 that left him less than half-a-second from the top six. The Gresini Honda rider said: “The electronics are absolutely incredible. My feeling on the first two...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 February 2012 12:23)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Impressive yes

Not taking anything away from RdP with what I said as I think he is very good. Just wondering if a direct comparison can be made due to the different tyres. We'll never know how Bautista would have done on it with them.

Difficult to know how much of a difference they made. They seem to have got a favourable response from all riders over the 2011 spec. How much of the improved feel on the GP12 is tyre/bike?

Ultimately, these are the best track riders in the world and it probably takes them a handful of laps to settle into a new bike and be right on the bike's pace. Rossi with the new M1 in 04, Stoner with the Ducati in 07, again with the Honda last year (I'm talking about first time on the bikes in test, not racing)

For me, Bautista's performance level last year was difficult to understand due to no team mate of proven ability to measure against. This year will prove interesting on the Honda.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

I get

where your coming from - all things being equal and we could see relative performance of all riders, however very little is equal and we can only benchmark team mate verses team mate.

I rate RdP highly, good rider, great entertyainment value, works hard and crashes hard. His performances on the Honda and Kwack were impressive, though argueably he should have performed better on the 'onda missle. Bautista has been hamstrung by the Suzi, with Capirex as a team mate in 2010 he comprehensively outperformed the more experienced rider and the end of 2011 saw some real imrpovements - but as you note, due to the bike or the rider, the tyres or engine mapping..?

I dont expect RdP to beat Bautista in the championship this year, but I do expect RdP to be working harder and overcoming more limitations, to create more of a 'show'. Give him Haydens ride - then we could see some serious action

Reply to this Topic
LouisVR46

Feb 12

LouisVR46 says:

Bautista

I'm happy for him I rate him for what he did on the Suzuki, I think everybody with a heart wanted that team to continue because of the colossal improvement, and the results Bautista was getting towards the latter half of the season. I'm glad he managed to pick up a top bike in the paddock after Suzuki withdrew, one of the most deserved riders.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

RdP on a works bike he deserves it after all the hard work he has put in give him Hayden's ride would he accept Ducati if they came calling after his last experience with them.

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

Pretty much shows what a piece of crap the Suzuki is....even next to a B team Honda!  When Hopkins came in a did a few rides with the factory team in 2011, he did come away impressed with the advancements in electronics.  Unfortunately for Suzuki they are always a step or two behind the other factory efforts.

Hayden has fortunately deserved his place as second best Ducati rider during his tenure at the factory team.  I can't think of any other rider that would have done as well on that POS bike.  Hayden's performance and times was just about right there with Rossi's on his revamped red machine

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

For every action there is an equal and opposite action

If RdP is busting his balls on a piss poor ducati, then after a short stint on a bike which is new to him, is able to lap as fast as the guy that has been running the bike for 2 years, then I would say he is the better rider.

So will he have to work harder in the coming season (as per my ref below):
He has an upproven machine in its very first year of existence.
Bautista has a factory honday which has been in development for at least 2 years.

Still RdP will have to work harder with the squad to improve his bike, change his riding style, adapt and learn so that he can wring every last ounce from the brand new beast - compare to Bautista who has a factory bike/squad whi are all experience in the ways of the Honda - yes of course he will.

And Hayden, good guy but getting ready to go to graze

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Hayden is still MotoGP material but I would like to see him back on a Japanese bike started off slow on the Ducati but he has done a good job there for me his best ride on the Ducati was Aragon in 2010 where he hounded Lorenzo then pass him to take his second podium as a works Ducati rider.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

RdP

The clue is that he is referenced at the start of the sentence.

I assume you disagree?
Fine - but dont go getting bend out of shape about it.

To me, RdP has more to offer than Bautista, the closest we have to an equal situation is Valencia test and he showed a pretty damn good hand on the Suzuki.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

NO situation is equal

it cant be - even between Stoner and Pedrosa its not equal.
One rider will recieve parts first, have parts designed around his feedback in preference to anothers.
Valencia obviously was not equal, however its the closest we have to judge these two riders performance at that point in time.

Now, I understand the point you are driving at: all riders will work equally as hard, they all want to win.
I base my reasoning for the statement 'RdP will be working harder' on this:

AB on a Honda - an established squad with many years of experience and a factory that has used huge quantities of data to design a new bike.
RdP on the Art Aprilia - new bike, lack of data for the circuits, squad with less experience working on the bike.

Hence, RdP will be working harder as he is the sole point of data, while AB will have more 'supporting data' available through the team and infrastructre (honda).

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

ducati for sale

About $1bn. That's the company, not the new Rossi rep panigale.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices