Skip to content

DUCATI Ducati Panigale first ride: 'Like no Ducati I've ridden' 1199 PANIGALE

You are in... Forums > DUCATI > 1199 PANIGALE > Ducati Panigale first ride: 'Like no Ducati I've ridden'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Ducati Panigale first ride: 'Like no Ducati I've ridden'

UPDATE, 11 Feb, 15:10"We're midway through our day riding the new Panigale and it continues to impress. The 195bhp Superquadro engine is hugely impressive with just the right amount of usable torque to fly out of the corners and monster power for devouring the straights. "Everything from the suspension, engine braking, traction control, ABS and god knows what else is adjustable,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 February 2012 15:10)

Post a message in 1199 PANIGALE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

Oh dear oh dear

Zootcadillac despite your personal experience with the bike I do think you're now coming across as a tad naive.

I'm not sure that it is as close to the GP bike of last year as is being made out.

You and I know both now that if the monocoque frame was still being used in MotoGP and regarded as a success, Ducati would be marketing the Panigale as "utilising Ducati's unique MotoGP engine-as-stressed member frame technology" and many reporters would be running with that line as well. What you've said does make it seem like you're every so slightly buying into an expedient Ducati narrative that the monocoque frame can somehow be regarded as a triumph in a roadbike/superbike when the company is very publicly washing its hands of the design elsewhere.

This is the great tragedy of the whole Ducati debacle of engaging Rossi, who I do feel has been a little conspicuous by his absence during the Panigale launch, as it's left to some of the greats of yesteryear Bayliss and Hodgson to do the honours (not to denigrate them in the least). Ducati shucked off Stoner, a rider who has said repeatedly he was committed to the carbon frame - in fact couldn't wait to ride the thing when it superseded the talent. If Ducati had put a little more effort into that relationship they might perhaps have ended up with the ultimate marketing platform: a dominant monocoque MotoGP bike with a road bike on sale using the same backbone. Of course you could never sit Valentino, who's costing Ducati's sponsors a mint, on a Panigale without having the point made that he forced them to drop the monocoque frame.

By the way, I am a Ducati fan - someone who's actually had Ducati engines in itty bitty pieces in his hands more than once, knows the details of how to set the valves, adjust the belts, has made the pilgrimage to the Bologna factory, got the T-shirt etc - so I don't have an axe to grind with the company.

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

this bit should be in quotes

"I'm not sure that it is as close to the GP bike of last year as is being made out." - quote from Zootcadillac.

Goodnight from this part of the world.

Reply to this Topic
ZootCadillac

Dec 11

ZootCadillac says:

@elefantman

Yes. You have explained it amply. Perhaps i was harsh in a few comments but I stand by what I said. I felt the Wrooom comment was misplaced and had no bearing on marketing a new model. I understand what you are saying regarding marketing but it's the same for everyone. Of course you don't want bad reviews from anyone, it killed the 999 for instance when that happened, but your suggestion, at first, was a little too direct that Ducati in particular were influencing copy with freebies. The implication was clear. I think you've climbed down from that position to one which is more acceptable and as I said. I doubt it's any more or less than anyone else does. Probably less because they simply don't have the money.

In the interests of transparency i don't do anything for Ducati in any professional capacity ( I have provided photos to the company, dealers and some riders for no charge ) I have a family member who works for the,m. When I go to the partiers I'm going especially for the Prosecco. Sadly I have no favour worth currying :)

yes, it is unfortunate that you have had Carl Short attatch himself to you for believing you shared his views but that happens. happened to me once when a skinhead racist saw my short hair and the fact that I was wearing Dr Martens as a sign that i wanted to listen to his hate-fuelled diatribe at the bar. Didn't end well...

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

aw shucks

There you go tapping out a very convivial response and a second before you publish, I go and put up a post that suggested you were naive in one aspect of your views.

So go ahead, unload on me. I deserve it.

goodnight.

Reply to this Topic
ZootCadillac

Dec 11

ZootCadillac says:

Sorry commenters. I wish I could edit my previous comments rather than have to add more. I'll make this my last for now.

@elefantman I think you misunderstood the comment. I merely meant in terms of handling and performance that it's not as similar. Not in terms of concept or mechanics.

I agree with you for much of the rest. It was a development process that they could not deviate from before the GP change came and it's only Burgess and Rossi who have forced that change, we all know that.

Not sure why Rossi would be at the Panigale launch. It's not in his remit and it's not for Ducati Corse to promote a road bike. Bayliss has been on this from the start. Neil came in lately with his taking over from Foggy as the ambassador for the 848 challenge this year and given we can probably expect a baby Panigale to replace the 848 at some point I guess someone thought they should utilise Hodgson whilst he's on the books.

We shall see if it works on the track over the next two years. I can guarantee you it has already worked on the road because if you want one September is the earliest you could expect one and even then it would help to know someone. They are sold out worldwide.

Reply to this Topic
Neevesy

Mar 05

Neevesy says:

ZootCadillac

Mate, just to let you know Hodgson isn't on Ducati's books, he was at the Panigale launch for MCN, to give an ex-champ's view on the bike, to compliemt my 'mere mortal' opinion.

Neevesy

Reply to this Topic
ZootCadillac

Dec 11

ZootCadillac says:

Cheers for the clarification Neevesy. As I said it was just a guess. By 'on the books' I meant as he's in their employ for the race season with the 848 challenge as the series ambassador ( and a great one he'lll make too. Much more enthusiasm than has previously been shown, shall we say? )

I put 2 and 2 together and got 16 :)

I hope you are enjoying all that playtime and free stuff. Personally if I can get my MCN from my sister ( who is eagerly reading your 1199 piece that she didn't pay you to write ;)) then I'll sink my teeth into that over lunch :)

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Ok. Why don't we just have a "yo mama's so fat" thread for all the slagging-off and pub-bragging. That way we can have discussions relating to the thread topics under the thread topics......Just a thought.......As you were chaps.....

Reply to this Topic
flem88

Jan 12

flem88 says:

To Ducati (or any other manufacturer)

Feel free to bride me all you like if Neeves etc arent going to be affected by your offerings! Im not a journo and wont be able to afford this bike any time soon so if you want to give me your latest bike on a nice sunny track in a foriegn country, with free hotel rooms and nice beer in return for me to say how lovely your bike is, I really dont mind.

BTW I think this bike looks awesome and look forward to reading Mr Neeves review in MCN.

Reply to this Topic
flem88

Jan 12

flem88 says:

oops

*bribe

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle