You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > TRX850 tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

facup71

Feb 12

facup71 says:

TRX850 tyres

My 'full of interesting character' Yamaha TRX850 is due for a new rear tyre. I have pirelli stradas at the moment, (lots of annoying road noise), and i now want a change. i have had Michellin Pilot 2 recommended but my Question is can i mix makes between front and rear, or do i really need to change both? 

My usual biking habits are 75% commuting 20 miles motorway, 25% general enjoyable touring.

:unsure:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 February 2012 22:25)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Welcome facup71, tyres can be ,(sports),(sports/touring) or (touring) tyres.

If Diablo & Pilot 2 are (sports/touring) your ok.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

I would not recommend mixing tyres.  You really should use a matched pair.  In some cases you can mix tyres in different ranges from the same manufacturer and in these cases their website or technical department will let you know what models will work together.  I certainly would not risk mixing tyres from different manufacturers.  

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

tyres

I've mixed tyres for years. As long as you don't mix cross ply & radial (illegal) or road and knobbly, then you'll be fine.

Unless your name is Rossi or Foggy, of course.

Try the Pirelli Angel things. I have never noticed any excessive road noise from the Stradas. I believe the Angels are the replacement for the Stradas.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

TRX I bought as crash damaged

had Bridgestone BT56/57 tyres, don't think that's why it was crashed though! they looked to have plenty of grip, and seemed to behave ok on the limited rides I did. Had good results on the BT020s on another bike, they were superseded by 021 which some folks didn't like, the 023 seem to be better. Mixing tyres is best avoided, but possible, the bike will probably not perform as well as it could, strange handling and weaves and stuff are a possibility, but as front tyre is part worn that can give it own influence anyway, depending on wear pattern, you might have a more worn section midway between centre of tyre and shoulders as that is the area that gets most use unless you are bolt upright on motorways all the time of course!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices