You are in... Forums > General > General > Too Heavy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

Too Heavy

The manufacturers should forget about making bikes with more power and concentrate on getting the weight of new motorcycles down.The new Crossrunner 800 is 240 kilos!! The Triumph Tiger 800 is 20 kilos heavier than the Tiger 1050!! What the hell is going on?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 February 2012 08:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike weight

It's probably all the extra technology that is being added to machines these days.  Systems like ABS and traction control must add some mechanical parts as well as the electronics the control it all.  The linked braking system fitted to Hondas (althoughh purely a machhanical system on my VFR) adds about 6Kg in plumbing and extra control valves.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

Too Heavy

Your VFR weighs 218kg with all the kit the Crossrunner has.I know the Crossrunner is bigger physically but it should not be 22kg(49 pounds) heavier.Honda should aim to make it lighter than the VFR by using lighter materials and doing some more research into alternative technology instead of just increasing the weight.

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Balance

Providing the weight is well balanced and manageable I don't see it being a massive problem. Its also worth remembering that in the past advertised weights were more likely to be dry weights which just went right out of the window once your bike was set up and running.

Reply to this Topic
BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

Too heavy

Less weight equals faster bikes and less fuel consumption which we all want.If the Crossrunner is 240 kg(528 lbs) dry then it must be 265kg(584 lbs) wet which is ridiculous.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

VFR

Actually, mine is a proper (Pre-V-Tec) model and weighs in at a featherweight 208 Kg.  :smile   By coincidence my FZS is also 208 Kg according to the spec sheet. 

The weight has never been an issue for me on either machine although I accept that modern materials and manufacturing processes should make new bikes lighter while remaining durable.  

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Lardarse bikes

As somebody who started off on 80-120kg race bikes I find most of todays bikes ponderous and overweight. Reducing weight massively improves the dynamics of the bike. My optimum bike would be + 80BHP and sub 140Kg but nothing like that is available.

Reply to this Topic
bikergrrl

Nov 11

bikergrrl says:

Suzuki

TL1000R 230kg dry (I think)

That thing was HEAVY. Helped though when it got crashed into the side of a building....:blink:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Think

yea looking at bringing back the two strokes then(oh yes)my old RG 500 was only about 180ish Kg and 100 bhp(with a bit of tweaking-95std) but saying that only done 18-22 miles to a gallon:shock:.But if your willing to pay for the power to weight advantage in fuel,i suppose the way to go is a Aprilia RS 250 std is 140kg and 73 bhp,so wouldn't take to much(lots more cash:winkie:) to get it near the 80bhp hey spondonste.Or just put up with the new diesels barges(there not that bad really) 

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

What's the Point

Of making a really lightweight bike when some lardy fat git like me goes and sits on it??!!! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Try feather weight and feel the difference

I used to race RGV250's and a good one that was race tuned would normally only kick out around 68 - 72 RWBHP unless you wanted it blowing up every meeting (about 56-62 RWBHP as stock). Heavily tuned 400's could be tuned to around 85BHP but they didn't carry the speed around the corners.

The new Vyrus 986 is 100BHP and 150KG so appeals a little bit but its a bit pricey aswell

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices