Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Explorer 1200: What do you want to know? TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Explorer 1200: What do you want to know?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Marc Potter  says:

Triumph Explorer 1200: What do you want to know?

Next week MCN is riding the new Triumph Explorer 1200 at its world launch in Spain, and we want to put your questions to the Triumph team who built the bike. The new 139bhp three-cylinder adventure bike uses an all-new engine, chassis and shaft-drive system which Triumph hopes will put it ahead of the best-selling BMW R1200GS and BMW R1200GS Adventure. If...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 February 2012 12:18)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

@muddoctor

I was going to say summat similar, why do all the tiny penis brigade get a bee in their bonnet about adventure bikes? I can just turn their argument on its head, they are all Rossi wannabes with their one piece race suits, dark visors and " 2 bhp more than last years bike " attitudes, Who gives a fuck!! I've had all types of bikes, SP2, 2 x R1's, still got my track bike, also have a Tiger 1050, but you see the difference is, I'm a BIKER !! I can jump on anything and enjoy myself, whether that's a GS or a fireblade or cruising on Route 66 like a couple of years back, it doesnt matter. The amount of Heroes I see at trackdays talking complete and utter shite about how fast they are, with all their tyre warmers and other crap is comical...

Reply to this Topic
500rstroker

Feb 12

500rstroker says:

adventure bikes

What is all this animosity towards adventure bike riders? Like alot of us , we've been using these bikes years before any of this long way round stuff. The reason i like them is i'm a six foot two big bloke who doesn't want a sports bike, and these things do just about everything you need in the real world. Reasonable insurance costs, tyres that don't cost a fortune and last more than 1000 miles, comfortable for all day riding and enough luggage capacity for a  weeks shopping ! that'll do for me. Don't forget we all like different things, that's why there is a fantastic choice of great bikes out there! Just get out there and enjoy, whatever you ride.

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

Oh yes... I can see that bike in the sand... it would make a BMW look like a KTM

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

I think its more Cat and Fiddle to Buxton than Cape to Cairo.

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

In all seriousness... it is a damned fine British bike. I would love a ride on it. In fact if I was rich enough I'd have one + a Ducati Panigale, a restored Yamaha FS1E, a KTM 540 EXE, the new KTM 1290 Adventure R (of course), and perhaps a Triumph Speed Triple and a 90s 750 ZXR.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Rogerborg...

So which section of the biking community wouldn't you criticise... sportsbikes?... I mean the roads aren't a racetrack so why have a bike that looks like it's on one?... take your average R1 to a BSB round & you'd be left for dead even by the privateers... how many ever get a set of proper slicks fitted?... pure pretending...

... & the UK's not the big wild west with long straight roads but we still have cruisers... in fact the roads in the UK are twisty & full of potholes... which biking cliche would you rather be riding? In your world is nothing allowed on the road that isn't a strict road bike? Maybe you do snigger to yourself every time you see someone driving/riding/wearing something that isn't perfectly suited to the environment in which it's being used, but I'd suggest that on the UK's roads, in their current post frost state, that there's a whole load of bikes I'd rather not be on than this Triumph.

Do not confuse these bikes with their equivalent 4wd gas guzzling cousins... these bikes will do the same mpg as their sports tourer equivalent or better & offer more comfort & visibility. They make a lot of sense which is why the 1200GS/GSA is the best selling big bike in the UK. Triumph want a piece of that, naturally.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bulld01

Aug 09

bulld01 says:

Next Please

Sod the explorer, when is the trophy tourer with the same engine/ shaft drive coming out as i am only 5'10" with ickkle legs and cannot fit on the explorer?. As for the argument regards sports bikes vs the rest of the world, i have a passenger, prolapsed disc in neck and limited funds imho rest of world wins for comfort,practicality,fun and cost, sport bikes win speed and handlingand some win lust factor but not all of them, but when was last time you got overtaken by sprint st/vfr800,k1200,gs, varardo, super ten etc on your sportbikes. Virtually all modern bikes outperform majority of riders abilities, if you need proof try outrunning the local bike plod on their fully loaded st/fj/R12/GTR with a blade,r1,zx10,s1000,gixxer, if i was a betting man guess where my money would be.

Reply to this Topic
upthepalace

Nov 09

upthepalace says:

Blimey.....there are some nasty, cynical folk out there in motorcycling land.  Who cares what people ride?  Just enjoy motorcycling for the fantastic hobby that it is.  But to keep on topic, I have been using Triumphs for several years now, without any problems and with fantastic service from Triumph themselves, having got bored, bored, bored with Japanese bikes that are characterless and simple facscimilies of each other.  I've owned 3 955i Tigers, a MkII 955i Daytona and now ride a 1050 Tiger which is fantastic at everything, including passing sports bikes on road and track!  I've got right into the Triumph 'thing' and we should be over the moon that there is a British company taking the game to the Japanese and rest of Europe.  I say hearty congratulations to Triumph .  Yes the Explorer might look a bit like the GS but that's a succesful formula that is obviously proving lucrative and Triumph would be mad not to get a slice of the action.  With the extra spec that the Explorer comes with as standard I think that it can't help but become the bike of 2012 if the 800 Tiger's success is anything to go by?  

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

It's hardly cynical to point out that it's yet another GS knock-off, since it is.

>"Like alot of us , we've been using these bikes years before any of this long way round stuff."

Not "alot" (or even a lot), no.  Relatively few people rode adventure bikes before Ewan-and-Thingy did their thingy, then as soon as it aired, BMW couldn't make GSes fast enough and now everyone (sensibly) wants a slice.

I actually do think adventure bikes are far more suited to UK roads than racetrack trinkets; I'm currently eyeing up the F/G650GS.  But this thread isn't about adventure bikes in general, it's about what we'd ask Triumph about this bike, and the question really has to be: why buy a copy of the GS when we can buy the GS?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

bulld01!

I'm only 5'8" and I sat on the Explorer at the Manchester bike show and could reach the floor tip toe just! and I'm 28" inside leg. I was also told it didn't have the lowest seat available so hope for us shorties yet! I liked it, but I'm still going to buy the Tiger 800 coz it will be all I need as 95% of the time, I ride solo and after a test ride last year, I was impressed.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices