Skip to content

Discuss This Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class"

The Honda Crosstourer is Honda's all-new adventure bike - aimed squarely at bikes like the BMW R1200GS and Yamaha Super Tenere. Powered by the same V4 engine from the VFR1200, the Crosstourer is available with manual gearshift or Honda's Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT). MCN Executive Editor Phil West has been riding the bike at the launch in Spain and these are his first...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 February 2012 17:20)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dweeb

Mar 09

Dweeb says:

Fuel Capacity 21.5 litres,.........I'll keep doing MORE mile munching on my Pan with its 29 litre tank.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Yehbut, you can't pretend to be Ewan-and-Thingy on a Pan. ;)

Reply to this Topic
Dweeb

Mar 09

Dweeb says:

Yea,...and Ewan-and-Thingy have 33 litres !.

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Almost But..........

@ Phil West  To be honest, i was expecting a little more. I am not saying the bike is a disappointment, but 21.5 ltr tank and words like "big & heavy" dont really say a lot. ( Couple more photos of the bike would have been nice too, press release shots are always seem "tampered" in my opinion ).

The best thing Honda have done over the last two yrs is that new V4 engine. Its a peach, i reckon its best in class. But strapping a measily small tank to a big beefy v4 engine is not the way forward as we all know - VFR1200 comes to mind.

Personally, i think Honda's market for this bike is the suit guy that only rides every other weekend (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the vfr1200 & this new crosstourer isnt for the greater captive audience (?) of where it should be? Kinda like, trying to be posh but should be "right, lets get dirty and get on with it".

Who knows.........but i will be riding one v soon, & looking forward to it nonetheless.

With regards to its competition - triumph 1200 explorer, it may beat the crosstourer on looks etc but its gonna come down to that engine - v4 = yum yum ! We'll see.

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

V4

V4s are lovely engines but they are too big and heavy. I'm surprised no-one has developed a narrow angle V3 - think of half a Vorex. It's going to be much more compact for the possible power output from 3 cylinders - a more compact Triumph engine. I think Honda see their V4s as some sort of premium engine design but they're just too heavy - so they have to give the bike a too-small tank to compensate - the wrong compromise.

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

Nearly OK

Mr honda your bikes in my opinion are the best engineered bikes you can buy so the tourer will be well put together, what you do fail at in a big way is the wo! factor just look at the bike it makes me feel like decorating and tarting it up.

A grand tourer overweight and with a crap fuel tank are the two things you do not want when you are belting across europe, I was ready with a deposit but will stick with my bandit, the suzuki also has a small fuel tank for long distance work but I can get 175 miles on a tank with fingers crossed I bet your tourer wont reach that so why should I spend nearly 12 grand on your bike when I can get 2 bandits 1250 for nearly the same price.  

Oh the clutch well a good idea kind of but as an old git I need to keep the extreme parts of my body moving, if not they will sieze up.                                              Andy

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

It might just be the photo but there doesn't seem to be much room for 2 people. And as its a Honda, the final question has got to be 'How much'? and how much for the accessories? Oh, and how much does it weigh, knowing how much the 800 is? I agree with one of the other comments that if a bike like this (or any bike for that matter!) falls over, how much damage and cost will occur? Especially on an adventure bike which should be designed to take a few knocks!

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Does seem so bad..

If the Crosstourer can achieve 45 mpg then its 21.5 liter tank should allow up close to 250 miles. Even at 40 mpg it's up over 200 miles. It great to have choice and I'm sure this bike will bring some added flavor to the segment. Who wants all of us to be riding the same bikes? This blog wouldn't exist if there weren't other bikes to bitch about!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

sack1!

21.5 litres at 45mpg gives a range of 212 miles, work it out with a calculator. And I'm sure that no-one runs their tank dry to get the maximum range, you would run to reserve which is normally about half a gallon so realistically we are looking at a range of around 180 miles. I wouldn't run it that close as you often don't know where a petrol station is, especially when touring, so I would be looking for gas at about 150 miles with this bike, nothing to write home about for a tourer. And at 40mpg, you would be on fumes at 189 miles!

Reply to this Topic
grumpytwin

Jul 08

grumpytwin says:

Crosstourer

Who on earth decided to put wire wheels on the thing? It's never going to go anywhere other than a grassy field coz it is way too heavy...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices