Skip to content

Discuss This Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda Crosstourer first ride: "One of the best mile munchers in class"

The Honda Crosstourer is Honda's all-new adventure bike - aimed squarely at bikes like the BMW R1200GS and Yamaha Super Tenere. Powered by the same V4 engine from the VFR1200, the Crosstourer is available with manual gearshift or Honda's Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT). MCN Executive Editor Phil West has been riding the bike at the launch in Spain and these are his first...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 February 2012 17:20)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pipvac

Sep 11

pipvac says:

Jury is out!

I've ridden the VFR1200 and the engine is to die for, but being a big guy, I still found too much weight on my wrists. Having owned a Tiger 1050, the triple engine is very addictive with all that torque, but I often found the revs running out too early for my style of riding.

This looks like the right balance (in principle) between the two notions, which I eagerly look forward to riding.

BUT... as said before... that tank seems woefully small for that 1200 v4. Anything less than 45mpg, then most may find the range too frustrating, in my opinion.

I still have an open mind, so lets see what happens in a real world test.

Reply to this Topic
rugbybiker

Apr 10

rugbybiker says:

Crosstourer

Would be nice if a bike manufacturer realised that the combination of height and weight is what puts so  many people off the adventure style bike. You don't need to go off road to want to have the adventure riding position when touring or just general riding on the open road - but you do need sensible seat heights and weights. 850 is into the red zone for a lot of people - just 20mm less would make a taller bike have a wider appeal. This one looks fantastic - but unfortunately - just too big. Just hope your reports are more accurate than they were for the Crossrunner. It's well over a year from launch and you still show it as a 145mph bike in your on line review - so get a grip and get the truth out of Honda this time round.

Reply to this Topic
pipvac

Sep 11

pipvac says:

Is size the issue? or adjustment?

As a large 6'4" rider, I for one welcome the move to a bike frame which enables me to ride sportily without the need for me knees to be inside my helmet, and my butt cheeks gentle resting on each of the rear indicator lights.

Believe it or not, my favourite ride was the Thundercat, and have have been searching for that sporty fun, but with room, ever since.

I have tried adventure bikes, and they are an evolution in ergonomics for riders like me. BUT they lack the sporty flair that I so enjoy.

Its likely that I will end up on a K1300S, which seems to address these needs. The V4 of the Crosstourer has the potential to be huge amounts of fun, provided they get the ergonomics versus flickability balance right. We shall see.

Rugbybikers point on taller bikes, I have to disagree with, in as much as I don't believe the height itself is the issue, provided they build in a fair degree of adjustment to suit their target market. As for weight, that can be a non-issue if the rider fit is correct... and so we go round in circles.

The vast majority of bikes, especially sports bikes, are already built and designed for riders of 5'8" or less. Frankly to see the emergence of a genre which doesn't pander to this makes a very refreshing change for us taller folks. If only they would start doing the same with litre sports bikes too... I would be reaching for my wallet in a flash!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

is it me?

or..... are all Honda's being restricted in top speed ?

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

Pipvac, I read an article in BIKE praising the KTM RC8 for it's ergonomics - it's got adjustable pegs and bars. Might well suit someone of your height and they're very well priced at the moment. I'm the same height as you but wouldn't consider one, sicne there are so few KTM dealers in Scotland.

Reply to this Topic
Rgrant

Jan 12

Rgrant says:

As someone who is 6'9". I ride a Tiger 1050 (It me perfectly and I can keep up with the sportbikes in the canyons) fits and its a fairly good long tourer but the Tiger is a supremely amazing as a canyon carver where tall bikes are concerned. It s a very fun bike. Hondas are reliable but they usually do not have a soul. I hope this will have one and will be as fun as the Tiger 1050. I think that with the auto tranny. This would be an excellent commuter when in traffic.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

wow

6'4" 6'9" Any advance ?

Reply to this Topic
Richard T

Aug 07

Richard T says:

"a tempting alternative to a proper grand tourer." - damned by faint praise???

@pipvac - I'm 6'4" and 125kg, my GTR1400 fits me just fine. A bike which is strangely ignored by journalists who only appear able to compare Honda and BMW tourers, I wonder why?

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

Not too sure about this one, I own a vfr1200, its a heavy old girl, fuel light usually comes on by 100 miles, and its had a Honda fuel map upgrade. It also has very cramped leg room ( im 34 inside leg) with pegs set back, and a seat that leans steeply to the tank.Generally its not comfortable. added to this the fueling feels restricted in first 3 gears. Im not really sure why i bought it, however go on a big open road and there is not much quicker if your in a hurry  and if your legs can take been squashed.

When you at the VFR800 and the cross dresser they both have a relatively low seat, not sure about the tourer, but if its the same, are they making a bike  for a 5foot shortarse whos still stong enough to handle a bike that weighs more than a quarter of a ton without luggage?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices