You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > VFR750 NOISY VALVES

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

robalan

Feb 12

robalan says:

VFR750 NOISY VALVES

My VFR750FS has developed a regular tapping sound from the rear cylinder valve gear when ticking over and up to temperature. All the valve clearances are within spec. It does not do it when cold. My Haynes manual says a modification can be done to the camshaft holders on S and T models, if excessive noise is apparent. I have tried to discover what this mod is without success. Can anyone help ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 February 2012 18:03)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 750 FS 1995?

Hi Robalan and welcome to the site:smile

Never heard of the mod you talk of?,but it could just be a blowing exhaust header pipe making this  tapping sound.Is the bike high mileage,has it any history of breaking down,or any modification?.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

VFR NOISEY VALVES

I remember something about your vfr year and model having a problem with camshaft end-float. The ticking was stopped by shimming the camshaft to eliminate the excess movement. Drop onto a dedicated vfr forum to find out more info.

Reply to this Topic
robalan

Feb 12

robalan says:

VFR750 NOISY VALVES

Thanks for your reply. The tapping noise is mechanical, not a blowing exhaust. Yes, it's a 1995 with 43K miles on the clock, with no history of any other problem or modification. I suspect lubrication as the cause and wonder if the modification to the camshaft holders is a cure. I have tried 3 dealers and either they don't know or they won't tell me what the Haynes manual is referring to. :hmmm:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 750 FS 1995

Hi again Robalan

I would be more than interested to know what this modification is?as i said never heard of it:wacko:.

If its definitely mechanical,then i think i would be looking at a cracked bucket,or the valve tunnel the bucket runs in(in the head) is worn allowing it to rock,or a damaged lobe on a cam,or lifter bucket,or a bent valve sticking when heat expands its shaft,or a worn or damaged valve guide.Have you tried slackening off the cam caps and re-torquing them down?this will also show up any of the bolts that may have stripped in the head causing this mystery noise.If you can't find it there then you may need to remove the lot,cam gear train and all,and inspect it to see if there is a problem there.

87 HONDA VFR700 VFR 700 F REAR CYLINDER HEAD+CAM GEAR

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Tapping

My VFR800 has a slight tapping/ticking sound which only appears on idle when it's up to temp. It's done it since I had it at 11k miles, now on 33k miles. All valves in spec, checked them myself last week, and in fact ALL of them were on the tighter side of the allowed tolerance. In my case could be the sound of injectors, but I just assume there are so many moving parts, total smoothness is impossoble, even on a VFR!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices