You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > W reg VFR not starting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

W reg VFR not starting

Last summer I replaced the battery on the VFR800, the bike hadn't been used for some time and wouldn't get going and wouldn't hold a charge. I got the new battery, left it to get ready over a day or two, and it started no problem.

The bike has been used since, had an MOT, and when not being ridden, it's been run in the garage to keep it ticking over.

It's been absolutely fine until the cold snap a couple of weeks back. Judging by the clock it's not holding the charge again. I got myself an Oxford oximiser 900 and it's showing as having between 11-13volts. However the bike still won't start…

Any suggestions?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 February 2012 08:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

garethjl

Good to hear you got it started.

I would agree to your changing the oil, but for the cost of a filter, I would suggest doing both every time. Use semi synthetic bike specific oil, car oils tend to cause clutch slip due to some of the additives used in car type oils. 

Enjoy the bike when you get out on it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

fuel

As smidget says,also get rid of that rotten by now fuel.

If you have to put non-supermarket fuel in with a fuel  stabiliser thrown in for the next 6 months.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A1%257C39%253A6%257C72%253A5788&rt=nc&_nkw=fuel+stabiliser&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices