You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > W reg VFR not starting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

W reg VFR not starting

Last summer I replaced the battery on the VFR800, the bike hadn't been used for some time and wouldn't get going and wouldn't hold a charge. I got the new battery, left it to get ready over a day or two, and it started no problem.

The bike has been used since, had an MOT, and when not being ridden, it's been run in the garage to keep it ticking over.

It's been absolutely fine until the cold snap a couple of weeks back. Judging by the clock it's not holding the charge again. I got myself an Oxford oximiser 900 and it's showing as having between 11-13volts. However the bike still won't start…

Any suggestions?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 February 2012 08:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

no start

11-13volts is not accurate enough,i suggest you buy a multimeter where you can check to the nearest point (12.8v etc)also checking the charging system as well (14.0v etc).

Also you`ve put a charger on a very low state battery by the sound of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=lcd+digital+multimeter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

11 - 13 volts

Maybe I didn't make that quite clear enough. It gives the voltage to the nearest one decimal place. It got to around 13.2 when I tried to start the engine, then dropped to around 11.1.

The battery should be in generally good condition as its less than a year old and has been run regularly. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

voltage

Lets start again,what`s the battery voltage when it`s been OFF charge for a couple of hours?

Also the voltage when cranking?

A battery should be left off charge for a hour before using it.

How old is that petrol in the tank (honestly)?

Have you any easystart spray? This can be sprayed directly into the airbox with the filter out.  

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

This

battery you have fitted is it a cheapo one or one of good repute e.g. Yuasa.

When was the last time you rode the bike? 

How many start ups and shut downs have you done since you last rode it.

Questions there's always bloody questions it's near as bad as the national census, by the way what colour is your fridge?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

jaffa

you getting addicted to Easystart?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

easystart

I`ve been using it a lot lately on mowers & strimmers after a full service/carb strip,it`s better than ripping your arm off with them pull cords.

I could do with some kind of easy start to get me up and running.:lol: 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

jaffa

when you clean carbs and things it should be to improve the way these things work not introduce them to a life on drugs, does this mean (pun intended) you are becoming a pusher. 

See what I. did there, lawn mower no start, you end up pushing it. Mind you that don't work if it started out being a push mower.
Sounds like you need a Wallace bed for early get up and go.

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

Questions questions questions...

The bike is my father in laws, not mine. It's going to have been a few months since it was ridden last. It has been started up once a week since then from what he has told me. As for the fuel in the tank I'm not sure how old that is. Worth siphoning it out and putting some new petrol in maybe?

The battery I fitted was ordered in by the local shop for me. If I remember correctly it cost around £40 (maybe? I can barely remember what I had for dinner yesterday). 

When I first connected the oximiser it was reading around the 11v mark. It's been on over night and still on charge now. Not long woken up from a night shift but will go out check on it in a bit.

And my fridge is stainless steel :)

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

garethjl

Check for fouled plugs from the frequent stop / starts, clean and refit or replace with new.

A change of fuel would do no harm.

Stop / start practice is not good as the engine tends to get high condensation in the oil, this water turns to acid (which type I have forgotten) and starts to erode bearing surfaces, oil seals, 'O' rings and such like.

Check to see if battery is of a known good make.

Is the fridge polished or brush finish?

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

woo!

Ok, so after leaving the bike with the Oximiser plugged in over night until my last post it seems to have done the trick and started up. I also gave the bike a bit of a rock back and forth before i did so, as its so cold i wasnt sure if any of the vital fluids may be thickening up.

I left her running for around half hour, but appreciate that she needs a decent ride ideally. However due to the insurance company telling us i need to wait 6 months to be 27, thats going to have to wait until the weekend when the father in law can ride it. There is half a tank of petrol in the tank, but will get the him to go take it for a ride and freshen it up. If it was my bike i'd be out on it already. I will double check with him about when it was last serviced, and will consider changing the oil, even if just to try make it smoother to get going in the future.

I am now considering connecting the Oximiser with the permanant battery connectors instead of the croc clips. so when needed we can just connect her up to get a boost. Will this have any benefit?

Apologies if some of my comments are a little dumb, i've never been mechanically minded until i got my hands onto this VFR last year, and want to learn enough to keep it going.

Fridge is brushed steel...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices