You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > W reg VFR not starting

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

W reg VFR not starting

Last summer I replaced the battery on the VFR800, the bike hadn't been used for some time and wouldn't get going and wouldn't hold a charge. I got the new battery, left it to get ready over a day or two, and it started no problem.

The bike has been used since, had an MOT, and when not being ridden, it's been run in the garage to keep it ticking over.

It's been absolutely fine until the cold snap a couple of weeks back. Judging by the clock it's not holding the charge again. I got myself an Oxford oximiser 900 and it's showing as having between 11-13volts. However the bike still won't start…

Any suggestions?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 February 2012 08:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Does it

turn over at all, or is it just dead?

If its just been left ticking over in the garage, that'll deplete your battery (starting drains a lot of juice, and needs about 10 miles to charge it back). A battery may be fine in summer, but a cold snap can finish it off if its allowed to weaken beyond a point.

11 volts is a bit low, 13 volts is ok; if you haven't got one, get a test meter (B&Q, Halfords, or a local hardware store, and can be had for a few quid) and get the voltage that way. (Or failing that, swap it with a known good battery).

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

well....

I left it on charge over night with the Oximiser and have given the bike a bit of a rock to move the liquids incase the cold is affecting them, and its now ticking over. it was just doing the old electrical stutter.

The bike belongs to my father in law, so will get him out on it for a few laps of town. if it was my bike i wouldnt be sat here typing right now!

(apologies by the way, i accidentally duplicated this post, and everyone else is writting on the other one!)

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Well

delete this one then:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

Preunit

I tried twice. Clearly not something you can do from an iPad!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices