You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Swinton Bike insurance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DougieF

Feb 12

DougieF says:

Swinton Bike insurance

I thought I should let other bikers know about Swinton Bike insurance and their cancellation policy.

If you agree to take the policy out then change your mind you will be charged £50 cancellation fee. According to their contract there is a “cooling off” period but the £50 admin fee still applies.

I agreed to take out the insurance, on the 3rd Feb, to start on the 28th Feb. I was then told  not to ride due to a medical reasons for at least another 4 months till after an op.

I phoned to cancel the policy over 2 weeks before it was due to start and was told I would still have to pay the £50, if I didn’t then they would take it from my debit card that I used to pay a deposit with. Apparently if you give a company you debit card details they can take money off it as and when they need/want to.

If the money could not be collected then a further £25 admin fee would be added and then the debt would be passed to a debt recovery agency.

I rang the number they gave me 4 times over 3 days at different times and nobody was there to answer my call.

I hope this does not happen to anyone else. If it has and enough people stop using them then they may change their policy.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 February 2012 13:33)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Swinton

My insurance is due next month and Swinton (who I do not currently use) are already chasing me to offer a quote.  I do not know where they got my details from but based on this post and others on these forums I shall stay well clear of them.   

Reply to this Topic
DougieF

Feb 12

DougieF says:

Swinton

It seems all the insurance providers may get your info off the same site the police and DVLA use. Also if you used a comparison site they keep your details on file. If swinton get in touch you want to tell them why you are not going with them. Not all insurance providers charge the admin fee.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Dougie

My current broker CIA do not make any admin charges.  When I added the VFR to my FZS1000 policy the additional cost was only around £30.  Also, I recently had to update my details as my girfriend gave me a personalised plate for Christmas.  There was no charge for the change and the new documents cam through in less than a week.  Last years cover was only in the region of £200 fully comp so I'll probably end up sticking with them.   

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

ahh swinton...

wanted to cancel my policy and these were not my exact words but my thoughts
"certainly sir that will be £150"

".....the fuck?!"
yes its because you have to pay the £50 admin fee, the £50 for the free breakdown and £50 for the discount we gave you"
"....the fuck?!"
"yes since we gave you a discount we get to charge you money, also even though you declined free breakdown cover I want to charge you for it"
"...fuck you!"

after half an hour of explaining the law to her I got her supervisor on the line and paid the £50 cancellation fee and I was gladly rid of them.

Reply to this Topic
macca59

Apr 10

macca59 says:

Swinton insurance.

On the MCN insurance search for motorcycle insurance. The cheapest quote we got for Third party/fire/theft was actually from Swinton Ins. So my wife rang them to see if the quote was right and maybe take out the insurance. But when she talked to them on the phone to explain what we wanted, we thought it was a simple task, but not to Swinton. They were very obnoxious and abrupt, even if they had been able to give us what we wanted, we would not have taken insurence out with the.

A call to Bennets next, gave us what we wanted no problem's at all. A very pleasant experience if insurance can be was duly taken out. A few quid dearer but not minding at all. A big YES to Bennet's motorcycle insurance.

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

bennetts SUCK !!!!

Bennetts are a fucking nightmare too . I took out a policy with them and had to cancel it . It was cancelled PRO RATA + 1 month + 30 to cancel it . What a JOKE

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices