Skip to content

Ask an Expert Which bike for a lanky learner? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Which bike for a lanky learner?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Which bike for a lanky learner?

Hello everyone at MCN, Im new to the site and motorcycles in general!

Ive just passed my CBT and Im hoping to buy a bike in the near future to practice riding and maintaining. Then after a few months I'll go in for my proper test.

Heres the problem!

I love the look and style of cruisers. Its these bikes that got me to learn in the first place so I have my heart set on buying one. However, Ive heard they arent great to take tests on because theyre harder to corner.

Some bikes that have caught my eye are the Hyosung Cruiser 2, Suzuki Intruder, Marauder, Honda Shadow etc.

But apparently cruisers arent great for tall people too, and since im 6ft 4 and 14 stone that might be a problem!

Please could anyone give me some advice? Is there any cruiser which is good for learners? Should I buy a cruiser or a standard bike? It doesnt have to be 125cc, as I may restrict it until I pass my test. Im looking to pay up to £1000 for a second hand one.

Thanks in advance guys and dolls!

- Jordan

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 February 2012 16:40)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

cruiser

Take a look at the YBR custom. Have feelings though that you might be too big for it. In my opinion a cruiser would be harder for all the riding round cone crap. The u-turn might be a sticking point also.

If you are set on a cruiser your two best options would be

1) Do the DAS test and then get a big cruiser bike.
2) Standard method of  a 125 then restrict a larger capacity cruiser to 33bhp.

you cannot restrict a larger bike to 14bhp (or there about) and ride round on learner plates as I understand it.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

with

that kind of budget you're probably looking at supermoto style things or trials things. Absolute opposite to what you want really.... much better for the real roads and loads better for cornering.

Ideally for you I'd say a honda XL125V but I think you're financially short of the mark. Suzuki and yamaha both do bikes like this so have a gander on their website and then use bike trader or MCN to see what prices are like.

A YBR125 might work actually... anyone?

EDIT - bugger got in there before me!

No you can't restrict down to 14bhp.

The other thing I wanted to say was get your test done before the rush starts prior to directive 3. Bloody EU.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

ybr

the standard ybr is a tiny thing. My dad has one for pottering about town in. Not sure about the custom though, however I think again it will be too small as its build around the standard ybr and with the extra weight would be rather pedestrian.

Edit: Phil- only got there first as am bored at work so doing a bit of forum lurking!

Reply to this Topic
Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far. I think I have actually considered that bike before but I thought the same thing, I think it was this picture after googling it that put me off! :

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/734/images/YBR125Yamaha14-01.jpg

I havent come across the honda XL125V before but after a little look online it looks like a really nice bike. But as well as the budget issue Ive got to be able to find one second hand in my area!

I could go over the £1k mark slightly but Im using that as a rough mark. Ive still got to think about buying gear which Im clueless about too.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Jordan

You'll probably want to look to a 125 trial bike.  Think XL125, DT125 and simiilar.  These suit taller riders.  The challenge will be to find one in good condition that has not been messed with but I am sure that with some dilligent searching one will turn up. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"It doesn't have to be a 125"

unfortunately, whilst your on a CBT, it DOES have to be 125cc / 14.6bhp because you can't legally go any bigger (most 125s are designed to comply with CBT rules anyway).

Before you make a decision, it'd be wise to enquire about insurance because that'll be a headache too.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Cruiser Style not so much Cruiser

Have a look at the ZONTES Tiger 125 described as Cruiser Style .I sat on one at the NEC in 2010 and was impressed by it`s overall finish .It is larger than most Learner 125`s and is £1299 new . The  3 models are imported by the Baotian Scooter Importer .

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

125 cruiser

what about this? not very high quality but very cheap, £899 new!!!!! 

125 cruiser

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

Huoniao

I would not touch that thing with a barge pole.

Cheap yes, but there is a reason for it.

Found a review but mcn won't let me post it (first google result for "Huoniao"):
"stalls going up hill" , "very reliable if you change the oil every 100km for the first 5 times":shock: With the money you will be spending in oil you could by something not likely to fall to pieces like the rest of the chinese bikes.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

shit 125 cruiser

oh well !!!!!!!!!!! so much for that then :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale