Skip to content

Ask an Expert Which bike for a lanky learner? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Which bike for a lanky learner?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Which bike for a lanky learner?

Hello everyone at MCN, Im new to the site and motorcycles in general!

Ive just passed my CBT and Im hoping to buy a bike in the near future to practice riding and maintaining. Then after a few months I'll go in for my proper test.

Heres the problem!

I love the look and style of cruisers. Its these bikes that got me to learn in the first place so I have my heart set on buying one. However, Ive heard they arent great to take tests on because theyre harder to corner.

Some bikes that have caught my eye are the Hyosung Cruiser 2, Suzuki Intruder, Marauder, Honda Shadow etc.

But apparently cruisers arent great for tall people too, and since im 6ft 4 and 14 stone that might be a problem!

Please could anyone give me some advice? Is there any cruiser which is good for learners? Should I buy a cruiser or a standard bike? It doesnt have to be 125cc, as I may restrict it until I pass my test. Im looking to pay up to £1000 for a second hand one.

Thanks in advance guys and dolls!

- Jordan

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 February 2012 16:40)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Tall 125

Here`s another for you to look at Jordan . The Pulse Artix Enduro , this is a watercooled 125 with Showa Forks and Galfer discs back and front , quality items . It is being offered for £1599 on the road , reduced by £100 at the Scooter Warehouse of Worthing .

The same machine called the Zongshen Predator is on the Motorbike Warehouse of Wembley site for £1199 OTR . The seat height of 870 mm would suit you fine .

Reply to this Topic
Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Ok

Thanks for the responses!

Marcusmarsh, ive been told I should look at the Honda XL125 before, as well as the CG125 so I will definately consider them!

And Roadierager, Ive never heard of a Zondes Tiger before after a look online its a very nice looking bike, decent reviews and great price too. That could be the bike for me im thinking there must be some catch?

Im not sure about your last two suggestions though, Ive been told to stay clear of Chinese brands.

- Jordan

Reply to this Topic
Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Chinese

I didnt realise at the time of posting but the Zontes Tiger is Chinese too (thats why I havent heard of it).

Would it really be a good idea to go with that one?

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Chinese Bikes

Most of the reasonably priced 125cc Bikes and Scooters these days are Chinese and the Japanese Companies have theirs made in India , Thailand , Vietnam and China as well . The quality is markedly improved from a few years ago . The ZONTES brand has only been on sale for the last year and the quality is excellent , the paintwork being particularly lustrous . They are Imported by the Baotian Scooter Importer at Canterbury and they are a reputable outfit who have had the best selling 50cc Scooter for years . I notice that they are guaranteed for a year and for £98 you can get another year .

Although the Honda CG 125cc is a good learner machine it will be far too small for your size . My son is 5ft 11 in. and it was too small for him . He bought a Chinese machine , a Superbyke RMR 125 Motard style machine . I rode it back to Barry from being purchased at Newport and found the seat tall at 870 mm , but I am a 73 year old of less than 5ft 7 in . stature . It was a decent machine and he used it to practice for his DAS Test . He sold it for nearly the same as he paid for it .
I don`t know where you are based , but go and look at the machines and try them for size . There is loads of info. on the web to google .
Look at the Motorbike Warehouse site , they sell a lot of  Learner models and the illustrations and tech. details are there . Also look at the following , SINNIS , AJS , LLEXETER , SUPERBYKE and WK Bikes , the Sinnis Apache was recently ridden to Mongolia without trouble . The Importers handling these machines are reputable and keep spares . 

Reply to this Topic
Jordan444

Feb 12

Jordan444 says:

Thanks

Thanks for that advice. Il definately make sure Ive had a good sit on them before I even think about buying them, and Il look at the brands youve suggested.

Il keep this post updated if I look at any in the next few weeks.

Reply to this Topic
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

lanky

If you can find one in budget a Honda XL125v Varadero would be your best bet for your height.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Learner for a Lanky bloke

Well what did you get afterwards Jordan ? Someone on the `Twist and Go` Forum by the name of Blito has just bought a Zontes Monster and seems very pleased with it .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle