Skip to content

HONDA Honda Crosstourer first ride CROSSTOURER 1200

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CROSSTOURER 1200 > Honda Crosstourer first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda Crosstourer first ride

Adventure bikes are moving into a new dimension this week - as MCN's first test of the Crosstourer proves. The new Honda brings V4 performance and sophisticated automatic transmission to the class for the first time - as well as sumptuous comfort and classy quality. And, with other all-new adventure offerings such as Triumph's 1200 Explorer and Aprilia's Caponord just around...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 February 2012 17:26)

Post a message in CROSSTOURER 1200

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dancanovas

Feb 11

dancanovas says:

No chance

BMW will continue to dominate because if there is one thing long distance adventure bike riders dont want, or even any adventure bike rider for that matter...yep its a thirsty powerful 130/140bhp engine that gives me 150 miles before i run dry. the exception to this is the 990 adv but that gets forgiven because of its off road credentials. with high engine outputs and prices to match, BMW has no need to worry just yet

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Too Much

I would rather see Honda build an AT bike off the NC700X platform, since with a 30L fuel tank it would have over 400 miles of range, but still be light enough to have decent off-road capability. Bigger and more powerful is not always better.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

I know i'm in a minority (as sales figures indicate), but i've never understood these types of big heavy on/off roader, such as the above, the GS etc etc. 'quarter of a ton' and 'off-road bike' seem very opposing terms. I can't help feeling that they are a bit of a trendy thing, rather than as useful as is made out. Bit of a chelsea tractor of bikes. I guess theyre ok as a jack of all trades and have a nice high sitting position, but they don't seem to really be anything specific

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

@ Mattiboy

I agree with you, these are as much off roaders as the chelsea tractors are. Put it this way, when you've picked up a 118kg KTM a few times you soon get sick of it and ache like billy 'oh, try off roading on those 200kg beasts and you'll be in a mess on anything but the steady green lanes.

Reply to this Topic
mikehannan

Jun 11

mikehannan says:

dancanovas

The trouble with Beemers dancanovas is that they are unreliable.  I have had a GS for six years and riden it around the world.  While the bike has grown on me and I don't intend to sell it, there is no way it has been reliable.  BMWs get plenty of dealer time and they are very difficult to service in remote places.  From what I can see, most of them are sold in Europe and never ridden anywhere interesting.  I certainly didn't see any other than mine in the far east, you don't see them in Africa and the Australians buy Japanese because they understand reliability and don't have any home town feelings towards Euro bikes. 

Interestingly, I also have a very old Suzuki DL1000 which has done a zillion miles, never let me down and is, in many ways, a better bike than my newer GS. 

Regards, Mike

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

As a breed, the definition of "off-road" needs to be examined. If it's simply plodding up an old cow trail then any of them will do it. If it's racing through the goo and jumping across wide divides then you take your life in your hands. But for touring they have found an increasing audience. Their size, their comfort and their power make them an alternative to cruisers and sport touring bikes while allowing a more natural seating position for many. I myself applaud Honda and what it's bringing to the segment. It's all about choice and many of us don't automatically drink at the BMW bar.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

'Adventure bikes'

Sack1 has a good point, I don't think people looking for significant off road capability even consider these bikes, but that doesn't make them pointless, the riding position suits a lot of people (including myself). A lot of BMW owners are buying into the Ewan and Charlie dream, and will never see anything worse than a gravel drive, and the very few who do find the bike has many flaws, and is not the all conquering unbreakable beast the dreamers claim it to be. but so what? Isn't buying into the Ewan and Charlie dream the same as buying into the Moto-Gp dream and buying a Repsol Replica Fireblade? I am finding a lot of the BMW GS lovers to be as narrow minded and blind in their devotion to Munichs output as Ducati fans are to Bolognas and Harley fans are to Milwaukees. Kudos to Mike BTW, Id love to do a round the world trip, Id opt for the ultimate power of the C90 Cub! (I think a guy did it on one a few years ago, you can fix them with half a brick and a screwdriver in most cases!)

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

"Adventure Bikes"

Evilamnesiac makes a good point, but underestimates the offroad ability of some of these bikes. I've done a good amount of "adventure miles" in my time in the Americas, West Africa and South East Asia (including a trip to Central and South America that was supposed to last a year but ended up lasting five years...) Depending on where you are going the GS is a fabulous adventure bike. I had a R1150 GS when I lived in the USA and it was unbeatable for what I used it for.. including off-roading through the sands of Monument Valley, thrashing through the snow in Northern California and Oregon or going up to Canada. Where you need to do 500 mile days, carry huge amounts of stuff and are prepared to deal with the weight and it can do almost everything. (And my attitude was "it cost £16,000, it better be able to do this". What it can't do so easily is mud or lack of dealer backup. The absolute best bike for travelling/adventure I've had is the KLR 650. (Unfortunately not sold in this country anymore, but available almost everywhere else) It's small enough to do some serious offroading, powerful enough to sit at 85-90mph fully loaded for a full day, cheap enough that trashing it isn't such a worry and is simple enough that it can be fixed by a backstreet mechanic in any small town in any country you care to mention. The idea that an adventure bike should be able to do 120mph+ compromises the rest of the bike so badly that adventure touring on them is only valid in so called "developed countries" or when you do a "straight through". For example: Going through Central America, pretty much the only place you can reliably buy tyres for a GS is Guatemala City, and even then you'll either need some help from the (very friendly and surprisingly upmarket) motorbike dealers there, or you need to preorder them and have them waiting for you. I used to get tyre for my KLR from the Ducati dealership, because they knew someone who could get them for me. ($100 for a pair of Battleax's - not bad) In fact, looking back at that trip, almost everyone I met on a bike was on a KLR, except a few on big Beemers who were doing long miles over short periods, a few people on GS650's and one guy one a very desirable KTM 640 Adventure who could never get it fixed anywhere but the odd big city. Over the years I've "Adventure" toured on Gs's, KLR's, a GT550, various 125, 250 and 600/650 trail bikes (including once two up on a 125), a scooter (in west Africa) and even once on a 50cc moped that had to be helped up steep hills. (I'm 6'5") There isn't a right was or a wrong way to do it, it's always fun. And it's amazing where any bike can get. (Nick Sanders isn't the only person I've met adventure touring on a one litre superbike.) Some bikes just survive it better. 650 singles are the allround bikes I've used, followed by huge amounts of fun on GS's (predating Ewan and Charlie)

Reply to this Topic
stRickly

Nov 08

stRickly says:

Nice for some but to me it seems that for too long these big "Adventure" style bikes are aimed at winning over erstwhile sportsbike riders. Especially with the cruise ship mentality of "bigger is best".

What happened to the concept of big touring trail bikes for trail bike riders? The big GS may have a great following but not every body wants/needs/can afford an 1100-1200cc bike.

Hopefully the new(ish) 800GS will rekindle the 750 (-900?)cc class. Preferably bikes with decent screens and proper fuel tanks without having to pay rediculous Toura-bling-tech prices for aftermarket upgrades!! Hmm.....a more efficient fuel injected Africa Twin, DR800???? One can but dream.

For now I'll make do with my 09 Tenere (turning 100k miles in a couple of weeks) and make do with its increasing second hand market supply when it needs replacing.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

adventure bikes?

I think things will go full circle, I dont get adventure bikes who the hell keeps wanting huge great big monstrous bikes all the time. Give me an R1 shape, higher handle bars, neutral riding postition not too upright or bent over (cbr600f 2011) 70mpg, larger seat, 100 bhp +, nice screen, heated handlebars they will arrive some time nearest I can think of is the z1000sx or maybe a speedtriple but more economical and some weather protection.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices