You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > scandinavia

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

stirfry

Jan 08

stirfry says:

scandinavia

I'm thinking of touring Scandinavia in May/ June. The obvious choice is Denmark as that appears to be the only country in the area that still has a ferry link to the UK. It's all in the very early stages at the moment so I really would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 February 2012 20:35)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
happylemon666

Mar 10

Scandinavia

OK, so I've not toured the place, but I did go to Malmo Sweden a couple of years back (went none stop from Calais, crossing from Germany to Denmark at Puttgarden).  Then took the tunnel/bridge into Sweden.  Was very nice.

Have you thought about the north cape of norway?

Reply to this Topic
ExperienceMatters

Mar 12

go for Norway or Sweden

What riding would you prefer ?

I've been twice trough Denmark, and in terms of highways it really sucks compared to Germany, Sweden or Norway. 

I'm planning a big trip to Norway myself, first time with the Z1000SX, and just couldn't find any challenging roads in Denmark. (Denmark will be the only country that I only do by highway).

In short: 
Denmark: not so much fun to ride, nature is not spectacular compared to Sweden, Norway. Rather flat country. 

Sweden: avoid the coast (busy roads), go inland. Long woods, lakes, reindeers, elks, beautiful scenery.
Expect long winding roads, the ones you like to speed on, also some twisties but nothing compared to Norway. The upper north is very nice too (Laponia), saw lots of wildlife on the roads (be careful). 

Norway: great riding country, by far my favorite (of whole Europe). The highways around Oslo are less interesting, but for the rest almost everything is. Lots of mountain passes, hairpins, long winding roads & some serious challenging twisties. Most roads are in great condition. In the tourist season (July-Aug), some might get crowdy, but the rest of the year they're not. May June would be the perfect motorbike period, most high mountain passes are open then (or more towards end May). 
The scenery is exceptional, you get into a different scene every 15 minutes. (mountains are close, steep and diverse)
Highlights:
Fjord Norway (see trip reports), the national tourist roads!, the Lofoten (67° North, the most beautiful part of Norway), Senja (above the Lofoten), The area around Rjukan, Lysebotn, ....

Some pictures & road plannings of my previous trips to Norway (& Sweden) on the z1000sx.co forum:
You'll find links to very detailed Google Map plannings, icons can be clicked upon for more information (photo, txt)

http://z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,1025.0.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
Tannasfish

Feb 11

Tannasfish says:

Scandinavia

Norway and Sweden well worth visiting. Apart from the largely empty and often challenging roads campsites are generally reasonably priced and beautifully kept. Look out for cabins ('Stuga' in Sweden) on the sites that can be often cheaply rented by the night.

The main problem nowadays is getting there. It's about 650 miles from The Hook of Holland to Copenhagen and the Oresund bridge to Malmo in Sweden. An option is to ride to Hirtshals at the top of Denmark and get the 4 hour ferry to Kristiansand in Norway. You can travel from Harwich to Esbjorg in Denmark with DFDS to reduce the boring journey up through Germany but it's a long overnight crossing and quite expensive.
Having said all that - Norway and Sweden are a superb destination.
Good luck! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices