Skip to content

Ask an Expert What are the best tyres on a Sports bike for the English weather? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > What are the best tyres on a Sports bike for the English weather?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

What are the best tyres on a Sports bike for the English weather?

My bike came with the Bridgestone BT 016 tyres and any time it rains I give it a bit of throttle and the back steps out. I just don't feel safe on them for all weather riding and even the other week when it was really cold but dry they just didn't have grip. 

So I was just wondering what are the best tyres for this English weather? I know we'll be coming up to Spring and Summer but we all know it'll just rain even more than it did in the Winter lol.

Thanx.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 February 2012 00:55)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

"any time it rains I give it a bit of throttle"

You could try less gas when it rains?

Seriously, no tyre will handle all a sports bike has to offer when wet, cold or on slippery stuff (greasy road grime, dried powdery salt, etc).  Those little spinups and step outs are there to remind you just how little grip you really have, should you need to stop or steer.

Sports touring tyres such as RoadSmarts are quite a lot better in the cold and wet than Sports tyres, but they still warrant a slow hand and an easy touch this time of year...  The also last well and cope fine with the searing heat of a British Summer.

Reply to this Topic
corsair426

Jan 09

corsair426 says:

Tyres

I've just fitted Bridgestone BT 0-23's to my CBR1000RR Fireblade (2011) So far they seem good but I will give my full thoughts after I've done a few more miles on them. I think if they are good enough for Ron Haslams race school bikes they will be more than good enough for me.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

BT 016's are crap.

Best combination to put on for cold, wet, warm, slow and fast riding are a Michelin Power 2ct front, and a Michelin Road 2ct rear.

The rear will grip and heat up better than an 016, and will probably give over double the milage.

Reply to this Topic
Rosscati

Feb 12

Rosscati says:

Wet/winter

Why on earth would you need 2ct's on a wet winter road? Standard pilot powers will do.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices