Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Marc Potter  says:

Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride

MCN Editor, Marc Potter, is at the world launch of the Triumph Tiger Explorer and here are his first thoughts. "Triumph admits it is aiming the Tiger Explorer squarely at the BMW R1200GS, and claims higher spec for less money, better handling, more luggage carrying capacity and at 135bhp, more power from the three cylinder all-new 1215cc engine. "I’m about it...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 February 2012 08:24)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blackspot

Sep 10

blackspot says:

wait a second?

explorer weighs 30kgs more???

so you really get MORE for your money, don`t you...

I aint interested in having a motorcycle in this cow category anyway, but still, this weight sounds dissapointing...

Reply to this Topic
JEDBANDIT555

Jun 05

JEDBANDIT555 says:

Ideal Triumph

My dream Triumph would be this engine and shaft drive in a light weight frame, a short wheelbase, quality suspension and a bikini fairing.  We need to build a naked Bandit type of bike that the Japs hav'nt got the balls to build. An over powered lightweight do it all monster !!        

PS  Where's the spell heck on this site ?

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Triumph - ant ?

Pardon the pun above :)    

I really think this new 1200 Explorer is going to be brilliant and well received by the public. Yes, its a little heavier than the GS ( 30 kgs is a lot? ). However, the honda crosstourer also weighs 275 kgs ! That aint "light" either is it, but seems to be well able to hustle.

Anyway. the price & extras will make is desirable but the weight i can see is going to be the only factor that may be a real gripe. But weight may not affect sales if its as good as Mr Potter says.

If triumph have pulled it off ( which they may have ) the 30kgs will not make a difference.  If you look at any of the newer hondas ( fireblade, xtourer etc) the weight will be well disguised and wont come into it, will it (?).

Triumph have played it cool with the press releases / teasers (didnt go overboard). I am sure this bike will stand up for itself.

The mainland europeans are gonna love this bike.

Cant wait to ride one !!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

jedbandit

until the 'overpowered' bit you were describing BMW R1100S / R1200S - neither of which are made any more :o(

Reply to this Topic
Handler33

Jan 06

Handler33 says:

Triumph Explorer

Boy is that one ugly specimen.......but the bike is a beauty.

Beating the GS is a big ask of any manufacturer.

The explorer  has +30kg +1 extra cylinder + 1 extra injector over the BMW ,these three factors will mean much higher fuel consumption which = less range a big deal on a touring bike.

The extra weight will only really show up when the bike is fully loaded,the extra fuel consumption will be there from the off, these factors will either make or break the bike.But it is a Triumph so it will not be a flop.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Looking good then...

Sounds promising, just waiting for all the Triumph/ Adventure bike haters to chirp in with their expert views on it ???? .........

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Are they touring adventure bikes or adventure touring bikes, or just plain touring bikes?

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

weight

I never understood from the off about these latest so called Adventure bikes and the fact they are so heavy.Have the manufactures missed a point,are these really supposed to go oiff-road?.I have no experiance with off-road riding but i gess these will cope with a smooth dirt track and no more.

I do like the Explorer and would buy it as a comfortable Tourer and if the 800 is anything to go by this will be a cracker

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I suppose you have to put these sort of bikes into some sort of category and 'adventure' seems to suit them. But you can have an adventure on any sort of bike really, look at Nick Sanders who used to do his round-the-world trips on an R1 through all sorts of terrain. One thing I'm sure of is that the Triumph will be more reliable and better finished, and I do know lots of people who have had BMWs, so I'm not just trying to be insulting, just honest. I've had my Sprint ST1050 for nearly 5 years and my wife has had a Bonneville for the same amount of time and neither of us has had a single problem in all that time. And yes, we do ride them, they have been on the continent every year. I still prefer the 800 Tiger though and thats my next bike this year.

Reply to this Topic
GaryGSF

Feb 11

GaryGSF says:

Adventure bikes / Tourers

Looks like a nice bike. Most people who buy this type of bike would never dream of taking them off road, so weight is not such an issue. They like the idea of sitting up, protected from the wind blast on a bike that is not a "boring touring bike". It fits a large section of the market. The Triumph looks as good as most of the others out there. I had a ride on the Kawasaki Versus 1000 and would say it would be hard to beat in this class, if you would only ride on the road. The big plus for the Kawasaki is the price. You'll have around £1,500 in your pocket to fund your first tour if you bought it over the Triumph. It is now a very competitive market and I'm sure if you bought the Triumph you'd not be disappointed.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices