Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Marc Potter  says:

Triumph Tiger Explorer First Ride

MCN Editor, Marc Potter, is at the world launch of the Triumph Tiger Explorer and here are his first thoughts. "Triumph admits it is aiming the Tiger Explorer squarely at the BMW R1200GS, and claims higher spec for less money, better handling, more luggage carrying capacity and at 135bhp, more power from the three cylinder all-new 1215cc engine. "I’m about it...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 February 2012 08:24)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
upthepalace

Nov 09

upthepalace says:

Tiger Explorer

Just read the full report in MCN and it certainly seems like Triumph have a winner on their hands, although I appreciate that it's just one man's opinion.  I'm very much looking forward to the launch evening at my Triumph dealer.  It certainly looks terrific in its finished form, especially all loaded up.  Cracking report Marc thanks.  Oh, and carry on wearing that 'ridiculous grey clothing'....in fact, wear what you like mate.  I wear the same kit, darker, I'd hate to think that anyone thought I looked ridiculous?

Reply to this Topic
robk321

Jun 11

robk321 says:

another poor mpg triumph

Poor mpg again!

No doubt Triumph make great bikes but need to do much better that 42mpg. I wouldn't even consider buying one of these or the 800 with todays fuel prices when you can get 65mpg out of a bmw 800.

Come on bike manufacturers wise up and give us what we need! powerful bikes with better mpg before we are priced off the road!

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

tiger1215

I have had both an old 955 and 1050 Tiger, both from new and reliable, the 1050 did 24K in two and a half years , only breakdown was gear linkage broke and I got home with aid of a cable tie. the bike did have faults, the rear shock was knackered and had to be relpaced, the front was too soft but can be adjusted, the rear chain guard is still supplied too short, so should you have a scott oiler, pasengers, panniers get sticky oil flung up on them.

I used to get about 35 mpg around town and 45/50 on a run, then again I now have a VFR 1200 that just about crosses 30 if you want to use the all the horses.

My only really concern with this bike is the weight, it does have 30 or so more BHP than the GS, but how many of these are lost moving about 50 kg extra up and down the road? also wheeling the thing around ?

Myself i will test it but I am more likley to go back to a Tiger 1050 as it was still probably the best bike I have ever owned, and less 50 kg will balance an extra 20 bhp

Reply to this Topic
BREE

Mar 08

BREE says:

triumph lap dogs

I have now come to the conclusions that MCN most definitely have shares in TRIUMPH MOTOCYCLES, I have never known such bowing and doffing of caps it makes you want to Vomit. Yes TRIUMPH make a good bike and yes they are ENGLISH. But my god please look past your very very biased views when writing about the TRIUMPH brand, I have been around motorcycle's since I was 12 years old, and can honestly say that I have owned more than my fair share over the years. But if we were to believe MCNs reviews then TRIUMPH would be the only bike to own. AND that ain't true by a very long stretch. So please wipe the star spangled glitter from your eyes when reviewing future TRIUMPH articles and get real.....

Reply to this Topic
wright1200

Dec 10

wright1200 says:

This can also be said for MSN’s write ups on Honda's too!

There is a reason why BMW, make an air cooled off-roader.

It is partly due to not needing a radiator, meaning you don't have to worry about stones putting holes, where you don't need them.

Also Triumph, like Honda, seem to keep making their motorcycles are too heavy.

And this model is no exception.

This is a modern world with modern materials available,  so come on Triumph and Honda, start using them!

Triumph and Honda are trying to copy the competition.

These copies don't offer what the bench mark, currently offers.

Make something that moves the competition forward!

We are no longer at school, where everyone a winning!

Reply to this Topic
Jayjay77

Mar 12

Jayjay77 says:

I've read a few posts about the Triumph's weight, especially compared to the BMW 1200 GS Adventure.

The BMW's Dry Weight is 223kg

The Triumph's Wet Weight is 259kg

A difference of 36kg

The Triumph's quoted weight includes 5.3 Gallons of fuel and 4 Litres of oil, not to mention other fluids such as brake fluid.

Now, without working out the exact weight of 5.3 Gallons of fuel and 4 Litres of oil, I would estimate that this is over 24kg. Meaning that the weight difference between these bikes is a lot less than people seem to think.

Not bad considering the displacement is 45cc more than that of the BMW.

Spec sheets look good for the Triumph, but we all know how much a piece of paper means when it comes to the real World. I do wonder about it's fuel capacity though, 13 litres less than the 1200GS Adventure. Not so great for remote mileage. Especially as it's got 25bhp more than the BMW.

The only way to truly test the Triumph is obviously to send Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman off on a long trip. *Joke*

Reply to this Topic
loftyjohn

Jun 07

loftyjohn says:

Triumph is an old brand that appeals to anyone with a range to suit

BMW is an old brand that appeals to old people with a range to suit

Thank heavans I am only 50 and not old enough for a BMW!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices