You are in... Forums > General > General > 2011 ZX-10R Traction control problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pch1

Aug 05

pch1 says:

2011 ZX-10R Traction control problem

I've recently purchased a used 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R and on my first ride noticed a problem with the traction control.

The bike was delivered by the dealer on Saturday 25 February and my first ride on Sunday 26 February lasted approximately 30 miles before problems started, ending my ride after a total of approximately 40 miles.

The bike had a new rear tyre fitted so I set the power mode to L and the traction control to 3. After approximately 30 miles of riding, whilst holding the throttle steady at approximately 4000 rpm the bike began surging. I pulled over and set the power mode to M and traction control to 2 and continued to ride home. The bike would rev up to 4000 rpm but if I opened the throttle the revs would die, and if I shut the throttle the revs would shoot up to 6000 rpm. I rode the bike lurching for a few miles before it cut out and wouldn't restart.

After a few minutes I managed to get it started but every time I tried to rev it the engine died and the traction control lights 1,2 and 3 would flash along with an amber light on the right hand side of the dashboard.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I returned the bike to a dealer (run by the same group) on Sunday afternoon around 3 pm. I called the dealer around 9 am on Tuesday 28 February and was told the bike still hasn't been diagnosed and they will look at it in the next 24 hours.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 February 2012 12:30)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

pch1

Don't know about the traction control side of things so I would ask if you are using it correctly and have read the owners manual on how to use it, I feel sure you have done this already.

Next step.

Get the dealer to collect the bike and only return it when the bike is in 'A1' order.
In the mean time get him to drop off a free lone bike of equal size whilst he sorts the problem on the one you purchased.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Lurching TC

Hope it gets sorted quickly. It's partially because of these scenarios that I don't want a road bike with these track aids (can't you just switch the traction control off fully?). You can ride the bike based on your own feel for traction so its not lethal to ride without the TC system switched on.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

How does anyone know if this is a traction control problem. It could be a multitude of things causing it from a faulty ECU to a loose wire.

Just get them to pick it up and plug it in.

I love the way people jump on the band wagon saying 'We dont want electronic aids cause they go wrong'..... When in actual fact, we dont know if that is the issue.  Its the same old 'we dont like change'...... The same as when fuel injection came in.

But if it is the new technology at fault, there will be the odd teething problem. In fact, I cant remember a new bike launch that hasnt resulted in a failure or a recall.......... 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Well

said that man:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Any further info??

Any further info and what the cause is?

Fuzzrrr we'll agree to disagree. The original post clearly stated that the TC control lights 1,2 and 3 were flashing ergo its fairly safe to conclude there's a problem with the TC system. You also read the term 'partially because of these scenarios' in my original post didn't you? It's the application of this technology in non race vehicles and the psychological shift it will cause in riders that's my main concern.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Spond

My comments were not all directed at you sir.

The bike is new to the guy and I doubt (no offence) that he has read the manual from front to back. I have not read it either. But flashing TC lights and what sounds like an engine management light on could mean a multitude of things. I dont know, it could be the TC. But, it could also not be.

On to the other point about non-race bikes having this technology. Most of the technology finding its way onto the road bikes is not only down to safety for the rider, it is also down to homologation issues for the race bikes, so I doubt there will be any way of getting away from it any time soon.

Like I said. There will be teething problems with probably a few bikes out of the initial batch. But things like that get sorted, and then, you do have the choice to switch them all off if you so wish.

Reply to this Topic
pch1

Aug 05

pch1 says:

Gents

The salesman demonstrated the traction control and power modes to me at my house when he delivered the bike.

The dealer has not been the best at keeping me informed on progress so I contacted Kawasaki UK directly to apply pressure on the dealer. I was informed by Kawasaki that my bike has a history of repairs (Actuator replaced November 2011, Air switch valve and valve assembly replaced January 2012). Just to recap, the bike was first registered in September 2011.

Kawasaki informed me that the dealer had submitted the diagnostics to Kawasaki and they haven't been able to pin point the problem, so Kawasaki has subsequently sent the dealer further checks and tests to perform.

The dealer then informed me that they are replacing the throttle bodies (complete assembly), and also the throttle position sensor and have been instructed to check and test the wiring loom.

So all in, this is the third time the bike has been in for 'electronic' repairs, hence the reason I have become quite nervous.

I've tried to keep this as fair as possible without slating people and bringing names into disrepute. I had hoped someone else may have experienced a similar problem and had a solution.

Top marks though to Kawasaki for responding so quickly and putting the customer first (even with a used bike).

P.S. For the 30 miles that I did ride the bike, it was an absolute dream, handled very well and the brakes were absolutely phenomenal.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices