Skip to content

Ask an Expert 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Traction Control Problem Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Traction Control Problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pch1

Aug 05

pch1 says:

2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R Traction Control Problem

Also posted under GENERAL

I've recently purchased a used 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R and on my first ride noticed a problem with the traction control.

The bike was delivered by the dealer on Saturday 25 February and my first ride on Sunday 26 February lasted approximately 30 miles before problems started, ending my ride after a total of approximately 40 miles.

The bike had a new rear tyre fitted so I set the power mode to L and the traction control to 3. After approximately 30 miles of riding, whilst holding the throttle steady at approximately 4000 rpm the bike began surging. I pulled over and set the power mode to M and traction control to 2 and continued to ride home. The bike would rev up to 4000 rpm but if I opened the throttle the revs would die, and if I shut the throttle the revs would shoot up to 6000 rpm. I rode the bike lurching for a few miles before it cut out and wouldn't restart.

After a few minutes I managed to get it started but every time I tried to rev it the engine died and the traction control lights 1,2 and 3 would flash along with an amber light on the right hand side of the dashboard.

Any ideas?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 February 2012 12:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Well I'll be first to say it......

:blink:Surely the bike is within warranty so why not ask the suppying dealer to sort it?

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

ZX10R

Get it straight back to the dealer bud,   :unsure::blink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

New bike

back to dealer.

May be worth asking them also if there's a specific procedure for setting / using power modes / TC (ie, to rule out unfamiliarity with the system).

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I'd

refuse any repair, reject the goods outright (not fit for purpose and free from minor defects - that's a pretty major defect!) and then buy something without the blessed traction control.

That might take a good lawyer and, a fall out with a friendly dealer, but this is the kind of scenario more of us are destined to suffer if people keep buying the whole TC thing...

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Oh come off it BB. I cant thiink of one bike that hasn't had some sort of teething problem or a recall when they first came out. Hondas, Yamahas, the new BMW and no doubt the Gixer thou had a recall at some point in their lives. All had some sort of glitch or problem when first put into production.

And anyway. How does anyone know if this problem is directly related to the traction control? It could be an ECU problem or something as straight forward as a loose connection somewhere.

Get it back to the dealer. Leave them plug it in and go from there.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

fuzzrr

I agree, gixxer thous K5-6 had the frame recall, that was pretty serious bike-in-two stuff.  Blades from 08 have had oil issues and occasional unexplained bursts of exuberance (throttle bypass).  Teething troubles do happen.

It's just that from where I stand, I as an electronic designer, there just isn't enough fail-safe built into any of the unnecessary over-complex stuff, that MCN like to rave about.

If it's not TC related I doubt the three TC lights would be coming on, but yes anything's possible, and it could well be a simple bad connection.

But bad algorithms downed Airbusses, even with cost-is-no-object triplicate systems running those bad algorithms.  ePAS cars wrenched the wheels out of victims hands on a straight road, all to save a few quid on the shop floor.  TC might just rein in all those horses when it should, or when it shouldn't and then unleash them without warning.

ABS, TC, ESP, snake oils the lot of them.  First they're allowed, then they're mandated, in spite of the proof that they make things worse!

I know I'm a luddite fighting a losing battle, but 
I'd have more sympathy with the cost conscious makers putting in dangerously fallible systems if they were actually needed, but I still believe you become a better rider for the occasional spin up.

Sorry, TC rant over.

My real point is that the moment you accept a repair, you generally lose the right to reject.  Goods that demonstrate a big problem right away are usually best rejected for a full refund (though yes, that can be nigh on impossible with vehicles), even if you then buy another example of the same model, without the same defect.

Legal rant over.

pch1, sorry to hi-jack your query.  I really hope that you get it resolved to your satisfaction as soon as possible

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Fair point. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Fair point. :wink:

Reply to this Topic