Skip to content

General Biker Killed By Farmer Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Biker Killed By Farmer

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ashby001

Jan 11

ashby001 says:

Biker Killed By Farmer

Sorry if this has been posted but I haven't seen it on here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17113810
The farmer was cleared btw 

Jake

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 February 2012 21:08)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

not

yet april/early may im reliably tnformed.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

unfortunate

i can see both sides the farmer was angry because people were baiscaly riding all over his lively hood and he made a seriously misguided judgement on how to react to the situation, the riders say they were lost witch is fair many tracks arnt very well sign posted but i would say if youve planed a day of green laning, you should no your route and have back up routes planed and that if your unsure of where you should be going turn around and head back the way you came ,and also always carry a map i live on a farm and weve had problems with green laners mostly in landrovers damaging walls ect, and its all stress a 60 somthing farmer just doesnt need, unfortunatly in this case a tradgedy has acured, and without being there on the day and knowing the facts non of us can realy pass judgement.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

johnlad...

stubble, is what is left when the crop has been collected. Yes they were on his land, and they were trying to get off it.like cycle lanes on roads, green lanes ( and footpaths) can just come to an end, ( whose responsible for this? ).Let's put it this way. If some lads came across my property on push bikes, and I said 'right you little shits' and I jumped in the car and chased them down the back lane and killed one of them, would that be a 'two side' story? We can argue all we like, but the truth is stealing a car gets you a bigger slap than killing someone with one.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Spoke to a friend yesterday.....

I went green laning with a friend yesterday, and happened to mention that just off one of the lanes we were riding I'd been told there was a gate which led on to a disused railway line, and there were lots of tracks up and down the embankment where bikes appeared to be ridden.  He replied that he had seen that once, and ridden on to it to see how far it went.  Apparently he was spotted and found a shotgun about 6 inches from his face.

Perhaps that was an over reaction on the part of the landowner, but it was certainly effective in that we didn't stray from the Byeway yesterday.

I'm afraid land / trespass issues are a very emotive thing, and if the farmer in question had been living with trespass from green laners for years then it's not such a surprise that he's got wound up.

Ride safe and don't put yourself in that situation!

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
r1stevie

Oct 08

r1stevie says:

mad farmer

i wonder if i would get the same verdict if i pursued and knocked over a cyclist on my dirt bike who accidently strayed of the legal green lane on to my land   I DONT THINK SO THE HEADLINES WOULD READ MAD BIKER KILLS ENVIROMENTAL CYCLIST

should be done with manslaugter his temper has left a wife and child fatherless

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I agree

manslaughter would be a satisfactory outcome.

Regardless of the fact that I sympathise with the farmer over having to put up with trespassers constantly riding his land and understand that he probably just 'snapped' this one day.. I do think getting into that land rover to 'scare' people was an irresponsible act and actually led to the bikers death.. regardless of who's in the right and who's in the wrong those are the facts..

The biker would surely still be alive had the chase not occured so is that not manslaughter?????

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices