Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi faces wait for Ducati improvements MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi faces wait for Ducati improvements

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi faces wait for Ducati improvements

Ducati has told Valentino Rossi a range of improvements for the radically revamped GP12 will not be ready in time for the start of the inaugural 1000cc MotoGP world championship in early April. The new GP12 1000cc machine might be a vast improvement on last year’s disastrous 800cc GP11, but Rossi made it clear in Sepang today that the latest Desmosedici...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 February 2012 11:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Just why does Ducati have more work to do than the others?

The FIM fucked them all over with the late weight increase which Honda and Yamaha don't sound too happy about, but gave Ducati the time to develop their new aluminium bike around.

As for electronics well all factories should be on a fairly level development footing here. Beyond being rotating backwards ( a particular habit of Hardlyleans also) in the cases there's no reason to believe the D16 engine is any different to what they had to test in 'thousand' guise last year.

Honda and Yamaha both need time to sort their chassis' to suit the new 2012 Rossi spec Bridgestones.

To my mind all three factory machines sound like they are fairly much at a par. Rider talent still the difference......

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

no more time for

these excuses , eveyrone has had less time to develop than ducati, they have used more track time using test riders than any other factory, the sooner riders admot its a a hard bike to ride the better,give checa a go for a change, you dont see him moaning every meeting,he just gets on with it. getting borring now,aint no news we dont know,just race the damn thing, you signed up for it..

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

They obviously have more work to do Nostro

It's been the fastest and best bike since conception and now has the greastest rider/development rider of the current era/ever on it. Once they've figured how to mulitply the factor by 7 and not divide it they'll be well away. As a man of numbers Nostro surely you should know this...?

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

I'm bored with this!

I've been a Rossi fan for sometime, but quite frankly i'm bored to death reading about how his bike will not be quite right for him when it comes to race day.

It would be far more grand if he just stated the obvious, " The younger guys are quicker than me coz i'm too old for this shit".

He was a great champion but he needs to accept all good things come to an end, its called progression. 

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Just why does Ducati have more work to do than the others?

... cos they're almost a year behind the others... they developed the CF bike as their 2012 & still had it at their 1st test in November... their 1st test of the new bike they were further off the pace than Rossi was at the same circuit exactly 1 year earlier with a shoulder injury on a bike he admits he couldn't ride... do you really want me to carry on?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

No you went on enough last time and bored me to tears Hedgy

Droning on with the same  hair splitting point. Read my post again. The additional weight imposed on the manufacturers has messed them around. It's not just the Ducati riders altering their seating positions to help find an optimum balance. Yamaha are experimenting with balast in different places as opposed a full redesign. Ducati at least had the advanatge of being able to build their new chassis to this spec. All of which makes much of HRC and Yamaha's 2011 test data a little irrelevant.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Perched atop a big fence here

C'mon Nostro the "all the factory bikes pretty much on par"??? No matter what pair of pants you are wearing it really has long been recognised that the Ducati's are/have been a steaming pile poo for many a year. So poor in fact they make very talented racers look piss poor indeed. ***** I agree that Rossi's career is on the wane and I was certain he would struggle like all the others when he jumped ship, but when all the world tells you for over a decade you are a supreme genius with no equal you can kind of understand he really believed he would ace the Ducati. The "talent" gulf you refer to just isn't as great as so many make out in my opinion. Rossi is still an amazing talent on a race bike just that all great empires must fall and all that jazz. ***** Stoner's success at Ducati to me is akin to a certain Kevin Schwantz at Suzuki. Kevin could have achieved so much more if he had jumped ship to another brand. Both Kevin and Casey were the only riders capable of getting anywhere on their respective machines and in both cases it was "Win or Bin". Of all the Suzuki riders only Beattie got even a sniff of success out of the thing. Ducati's and RGV's beasts but very fickle beasts indeed! ***** Modern GP's draw to fine a line and ridiculously similar lap times. In order for Rossi to slip gracefully into the history books his best bet is to give Ducati all their money back, have them buy a couple of M1's, put shiny big ugly red fairings on them, rack up a few podiums then hit the autograph circuit where I am certain he will rack up a few more world titles given the right brand of marker pen! LOL ..... Ciao

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

OW01

Your not the first person I have heard mention Carlos Checa on a GP Duke but really should be the last. His only experience on the Gyro bikes and at Ducati was two dismal appearances in 2010. Qualifying 17th and 16th resulting in a dnf and a 15th place respectively. Carlos wouldn't even see which way Rossi, Hayden, and Barbara went in a race! ***** Don't get me wrong I really like the guy and have been pleased for him FINALLY achieving some real success. Just don't get confused between a GP ducati and a series dominating over weight bendy street bike. Although the racing is good and they both have two wheels there is a massive difference between the two machines and how they feel to ride one. Checa and Biaggi are the big boys in the playground at the moment and the WSBK kids need to pull their fingers out pronto if they want to get anywhere fast.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Alexander Barros

Willie. Showed plenty of speed on the RCV. Even clear second tier riders like Brits Haslam and MacKenzie did a bit on the thing. Or the Georgian Russell. I never felt the RCV was bad at all. In fact it was a far better bike than Lawsons title winning NSR back in that day. Mechanicals did tend to be a RCV / Suzuki GP  problem though.

Sorry Stoner is a superior racer to what Schwantz was. Schwantz was of the Foggy school of riding - get on the thing and wring it's neck. Stoner strikes me as a far more analytical rider than that.

You're very right on the Checa front though. It's taken him two decades but Checa has now found his one true calling.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

well said willie

And you highlight the glaringly obvious ( for me at least) WSB is where it is at. Look at the parallels, an Aprilia is the bike (PI suited the Ducati before anyone starts), Max is the man to beat and needs putting in his place (again), who is able to do that? Hopefully Carlos Checa/hopefully not Careless Chucker but I know someone else who can and will. WSB for Valentino Rossi might even reopen the Honda/Yamaha doors. All options look good for success and it works for everyone.

MotoGP has become a feeder for WSB with the old guard and that aspect will keep it alive and probably boost its attraction certainly its profile. Ducati would be able to put 46's on more of its road bikes and Valentino could in effect start all over again, he's 33 Max is nearly 41, Carlos is approaching 40 so he has a good 7 years in him seeing as 7 seems to be today's number.

For me it has to happen, since arriving at Ducati IT HAS NOT HAPPENED and there are probably at least 7 good reasons for that but it is all quite possible in WSB. It's probable in my head, who honestly thinks Valentino Rossi couldn't do it on a Superbike? Look at Max, Marco and Carlos, they're the ones calling the shots not your Haslams, Reas or Badovinis.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices