Skip to content

Discuss This The end of choppers? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The end of choppers?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

The end of choppers?

Custom choppers are threatened by the latest proposals from Brussels to prevent us modifying our bikes. Modifications targeted by EU anti-tampering plans already include tuning for more power. Now the European Commission wants to add to the list extended forks, a defining feature of choppers. The latest proposals were set out in a meeting between representatives of the Commission, DfT...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 February 2012 11:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Unelected Dictators Have No Authority

Enough said.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Correction

@luckyskua >"ABS for bikes over 50cc"

The proposal was to mandate ABS on machines over 125cc, and linked brakes on anything up to 125cc.

Then German MEP Kerstin Westphal went on a "fact finding" trip to Bosch, and decided that it was a "fact" that ABS needed to be mandatory on all machines.  She rocked up to the committee, and penciled in an amendment as the rubber stamp was descdending.

The proposed Directive will now mandate ABS on all internal combusion powered two wheelers, down to 49cc mopeds.

Completely co-incidentally, Bosch are about to launch a range of ABS systems designed for small capacity machines.

That's our democracy working for us.

Every time they change this Directive, it gets worse, and anyone who shrugs and tells you that it's no big deal either hasn't read it, or is just trusting that someone else will step in and kill it for them.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Horses for courses

From this very site http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/March/mar26-apr1/mar2607horseridingmoredangerousthanbikes/ though obviously they can't do anything about chopping your horse in Europe, otherwise how would the French eat them! Another thing is that there's a push on motorists to be more aware regarding cyclists safety, yet for motorbikes we're all knob heads who can't be trusted. OK, there are some knob heads out there, but then there are knob heads everywhere, it can't be helped. Something else I wonder too is whether this is something that the European population as a whole wants - I mean bikers and none bikers. I'm pretty sure my mum couldn't care less. There's bound to be some people who who don't like us (those knob heads are everywhere!), but I'm pretty sure that on the whole Europe must think there's other things to be getting on with right now.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Rogerborg...

If I am honest I think ABS is so out of order it isn't true. Having an electronic management that can release the brake in an emergency and yet is prone to wear and fault like any other device is so dodgy its beyond words. Meaning a driver could have a crash due to ABS failure or could ram a vehicle and claim the ABS stopped working. Did you know driverless cars are not allowed by Treaty, not law but a Treaty! (Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968)  This means that an accident is always someones fault, not a computer malfunction (which cannot be punished). What has ABS to do with that? Same thing.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Actually Safe

Choppers are actually the safest motorcycles around, since the ill handling and uncomfortable riding position will mean that almost all of them will be used as display pieces instead of being ridden.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

What a stupid idea EU!

This has to be the most ridiculous claim the EU government has made yet! Sure people CAN add upgrades to their bieks to make them go faster BUT they can also add brighter lights , better brakes , louder exhausts and other huge safety enhancing features. Making safety mandatory is just another way to bind people in to using cars. Couple THIS up with the new rider training plans (hich would effecitvely mean you HAVE to be 21 in order to ride a bike as well as take and pass 5 tests while car drivers still only have 1 , this would prove extremely expensive of course) and you have the end of the motorcycling community (which is already dying slowly).

In case you are wondering , this is coming from an 18 year old , not a 40 year old who has been riding for years. My mum and dad are both sensible riders, a bandit , an r6 and an xt , but i have been noticing the general view of people my age is that if you go on a bike , you immediately die. Its too dangerous. Thats their view. Not the overwhelming feeling of freedom , not the bonding of man and machine , not you riding off into the sunset on your trusty steed , its too dangerous. Then you get the stories. People who have never sat on a bike telling you how dangerous they are?! Thats like me telling a rocket scientist we should use propellers on rockets!

And this is why this law is even being given the time of day. People who dont know shit about bikes telling people who ride bikes their driving is dangerous.

Well , I have been riding nearly 2 years but you wouldnt believe the crap car drivers do. Why just last week I saw one of the most retarded moves I've ever seen in my driving career so far. In a queue of traffic , a guy in the right lane had stalled before a roundabout (a car) , the guy behind him honked his horn. When the traffic on the left started movign he jumped out in front of a car (other one slammed on its brakes and tooted) THEN he attempted to move BACK INTO the right lane in front of the stalled car which was now moving.

And I'm sure you guys have seen even more retarded things on the roads than me. Hell , go search smidsy on youtube! Loads of em! Incomptent car drivers not driving with due care and attention pulling out on a bike because they either cant be arsed looking for bikers/cyclists/pedestrians or they dont know where to look for us.

Now you tell me bikes are the dangerous party on the roads? Now you tell me WE should have stricter tests? No!

I personally think CAR DRIVERS should be given a couple of new tests. Make them sit on a bike for at least 6 months. Let them know how bikers think. Let them know the danger we face when we are confronted with an impatient cager. Let them know of the danger presented from simply not looking where they are going.

See the motorcycle accident statistics fall dramatically.

THAT is how to enforce safety. THAT is the reason good riders end up statistics. THAT is the way to ensure safer roads for all (not just riders) , not by imposing even more tests on us , not by imposing these rules about what people can and cannot do to their vehicle.

Get your act together EU!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Loud Pipes Myth

There is no evidence to suggest that loud exhausts make riding a motorcycle safer, and due to the stress they cause to the rider, they likely make it more dangerous.  Excessive noise is anti-social (bordering on assault) and has no place in a civilized society.

Of course, a motorcycle that meets noise and emissions regulations (whether stock, or with aftermarket parts that maintain these standards) is a much more socially responsible means of transport than an automobile, especially for moving just one person.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  If nobody's collating figures on it, there can't be any statistical evidence.

Personally, I am convinced that filtering in particular becomes much safer with a loud can and lots of revs.  Excessive noise may be anti-social, but having some dozy prat do a lane swap in front of you is life-shortening or at least trouser-filling.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Loud cans DO have an effect

I beg to differ. I've had an aftermarket exhaust on for a week in city driving/filtering conditions and so many more cagers notice you. My old OEM exhaust was gubbed so it got replaced. I wasnt talking about illegal exhausts , just louder ones.

From your profile , I see you are american , you will have little idea what the roads are like over here nowadays. In american states you are probably right , but over here where cars are closer together and streets tighter and traffic more packed , you would see the difference a loud exhaust makes.

It is night and day.

By the way I ride an XT so you can imagine the kind of sound that comes from its single cylinder , 600cc engine.

Reply to this Topic
BanIgnorance

Mar 12

BanIgnorance says:

Mythbuster

Dear Piglet, you write "there is no evidence to suggest that loud exhausts make riding a motorcycle safer".

I defy you to find a study that proves loud exhausts don't make riding a motorcycle safer.

You follow that up with "due to the stress they cause to the rider, they likely make it more dangerous."

Now you are just making things up.  But I do feel pretty certain that the folks who have loud pipes are fairly fond of them and find them comforting, and would be far more stressed from the constant nagging fear of being struck by inattentive, irresponsible motorists if forcibly relieved of their loud pipes.

Poor behavior in civilized society?  Maybe so.  But let's not go making stuff up in our attempts to support our positions.

Your myth is busted.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle