Skip to content

TRIUMPH Video: Triumph Explorer 1200 first ride TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Video: Triumph Explorer 1200 first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Triumph Explorer 1200 first ride

Triumph is making no bones about gunning for BMW's best-selling R1200GS - its new Explorer 1200 is aimed squarely at giving the BMW a bloody nose. Triumph motorcycles for sale. And in every possible way, except for off-road ability and image, the Triumph is dynamically the better bike, and in some cases by a long way. Triumph has built a bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 February 2012 13:46)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hi DazzleRebel

Hiya, your comment 'Triumphs are much, much better bikes nowerdays than they were 20 years ago' is a bit misleading  - aren't all modern bikes better than their counterparts of 20 yrs ago? i still think the triumphs that were built in the early 90s were better bikes than the jap competition as well. Agree with your comments on addventure bikes vs pure tourers though - Pan Euros must be one of the dullest looking bikes I've ever seen!

the only thing I'm not sure on regarding this class is the name 'adventure bikes'... it doesn't mean you've got to join the famous 5 and set off on an adventure... just like if you own a cruiser it doesn't mean you have to cruise and if you own a touring bike it doesn't mean you have to go touring all the time!

I remember in the early 90s then Triumph had the old Tiger and beemer had their GS etc, people (including MCN) used to call them 'Tall Tourers'... think I prefer that name.

right, just off to walk timmy the dog :)

Baz

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

Same as always

Like most all other modern triumph's it will be heavier than the best competition, thirstier and look at little more unfinished. Triumph are great at building new bikes, but they never take technology forward in the vital areas of weight, servicing costs, fuel economy and materials. Don't misunderstand me though.......I'm on my 4th modern triumph. I just wish they would be leaders rather than followers on the technology front.

Reply to this Topic
Goulash

Jun 11

Goulash says:

Not same as always

@marty1035 Have you actually read anything about the 1200? For a start it's not heavier than the competition, while i agree it's a tad porky the Honda Crosstourer is heavier. Not taking technology forward? It has more toys on it than a GS, fly by wire throttle, and the most tidy looking engine i've seen on a bike. Servicing costs? While i can't comment on the costs, the intervals are impressive. Fuel economy? It will do 200 miles to a tank so that's plenty for most people. Materials? No issues there either and you own a modern Triumph so seriously, what are you on about? I've got an 800 road version and love it to death as for me it ticks all the boxes. Would i buy the 1200? No is the simple answer as i don't need a big heavy 1200. That said, i still think the Explorer is a very good looking bike and will sell bucketloads for all the right reasons. BMW need to be very afraid.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hiya Marty & Goulash

good points both - I do think Triumph move the game on compared to some other manufacturers. for a start, they're still championing the 3cyl engine when other manufacturers are happy to put inline4s in bikes like this. they were also one of the first manufacturers to introduce EFI across the range.

re fuel economy - my Sprint ST1050 does 60mpg on a run - I've mentioned this on posts before and received a barage of comments implying that I imagined it, but I assure you ST's will deliver 60+ mpg if riden carefully (curusing at 70 - 80mph etc). I don't think it's that good either - a citroen C3 will return 50+ mpg and that weighs over a tonne! I can't beleive I don't get more from the Trump!

One thing I will say though, thatExplorer was loving those mountain roads on the vid! far better than I would expect an Adventure Bike (or 'Tall Tourer (:   ) to!

more road biassed than off road? yep - what's wrong with that? I don't have to forge many streams or cross deserts on my daily commute..

Baz

PS, wooo hoooo - summers here! can't beleive I'm sat here writing this when I should be out there on my way to Matlock on the bike to talk bikes and eat chips :)

Reply to this Topic
Baviaans

Jan 12

Baviaans says:

Hi Guys, I agree with a lot of the comments comparing the Explorer to the GS. My ha'penny's worth follows: Recently moved to UK from SA where my last bike was the 1200 GS Adv. I have always liked the Triumph however when it comes to "proper" off road riding I would not take anything except the GS. I have ridden extensively over extremely rough areas in SA and as anyone else who has also done similar trips will tell you that with dirt "roads/tracks" such as Baviaanskloof, Swartberg, Die Hel, Sani etc, they would NEVER take any bike that is unable to take a proper pounding!!  Rocks, rivers, stones, sand etc etc and to do this with mag rims and no tubeless tyres is stupid! If Triumph is seriously wanting to take on BMW why did they not fit tubeless tyres and spoked rims? And WAY too heavy for the rough stuff!!? Try and hold this up when you loose your footing and stick out a leg......... But of course they are concentrating on the soft off road market/Europe and USA? Good luck though, I can see it will be a winner eveywhere else, but for rough stuff its the GS or Yamaha Super Tenere, dont let anyone else tell you differently!!!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Off-Road Ability?

If Triumph want to build a serious all-around bike, they should make a 650cc thumper to compete with the the BMW G650GS Sertao, Honda XR650L, and Kawasaki KLR650.  Both the Explorer 1200 and the BMW R1200GS are too large and too easily damaged for serious off-road riding.  I would rather go the other direction and ride something like a Kawasaki KLX250S or even a 14-HP Yamaha TW200, when I am picking my way around small boulders or righting the bike after a spill.

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

Its a lovely bike but I'll stick to my KTM 990 Adventure for real RTW adventures because real adventures have gravel, sand and streams to cross in all weathers. It handles off and on roads beautifully. www.bigbiketrip.net

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

As for the GS, I'll start riding one when I take up golf. Eat my dust.

Reply to this Topic
rupertu

Apr 09

rupertu says:

As for the GS, I'll start riding one when I take up golf. Eat my dust.

Reply to this Topic
Mavisto

Mar 06

Mavisto says:

I'm not sure the GS will ever be knocked off top spot because the bike in so many respects is unique.

If it was just about on road handling the multi strada would have pushed it from it's perch.  If it was just about off roading the KTM would have toppled it years ago.

There is something about the riding position, the size (especially the seat to foot rest distance), the suspension, the low centre of gravity, the gentle rocking when you blip the throttle at the lights, the comfort etc that makes the GS what it is.  It may not do anything brilliantly, but I love the bike as a package.

So many bikes are rendered useless when you are 6'4" with stupidly long legs.  I've owned the 1000 V-Strom which had a fantastic engine and was much smoother than the GS, but the riding position gave me all sorts of problems after a few hours and the fuel economy was crap. 

The only bike for me that comes close to the GS is my RD04 Africa Twin even with a 21" front wheel

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices