Skip to content

Discuss This Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

A motorcyclist has been banned from driving after arguing unsuccessfully that speeding at 156mph did not constitute dangerous driving. Peter Clarke, 44, was filmed at the high speed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year by an officer on an unmarked Honda Fireblade. Clarke was followed for eight minutes and was also seen undertaking other vehicles. Clarke,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 09:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Should have said he had mismatched tyres. probably would of got away with it

Reply to this Topic
newstu

Mar 11

newstu says:

silly boy!

If you are stupid enough not to see the obvious danger of that sort of speed on a public road amongst other road users then you deserve all you get - the throttle works both ways. Entrapment? Behave yaselves, if you cant see another sports bike on the road in your mirrors without thinking that its an invitation to play MotoGp on the motorway then you need to pop back down to the dealers and trade in for a moped!

The copper was endangering lives by giving chase?? Well yes he was - his own included. Its called a measured risk. So whats the option? Let the Rossi wannabe carry on?  Ridden at that sort of speed, the Old Bill had no way of knowing that the bike wasnt stolen - I have ridden many varied bikes for over 20 years and I know the frustration of having a one nicked - the police saw it and couldnt give chase because the guy on it had no helmet on!

Dont get me wrong, I am not whiter than white but I get really hacked off with this biker 'victim' culture - in this instance the old bill were damned either way.

Reply to this Topic
newstu

Mar 11

newstu says:

silly boy!

If you are stupid enough not to see the obvious danger of that sort of speed on a public road amongst other road users then you deserve all you get - the throttle works both ways. Entrapment? Behave yaselves, if you cant see another sports bike on the road in your mirrors without thinking that its an invitation to play MotoGp on the motorway then you need to pop back down to the dealers and trade in for a moped!

The copper was endangering lives by giving chase?? Well yes he was - his own included. Its called a measured risk. So whats the option? Let the Rossi wannabe carry on?  Ridden at that sort of speed, the Old Bill had no way of knowing that the bike wasnt stolen - I have ridden many varied bikes for over 20 years and I know the frustration of having a one nicked - the police saw it and couldnt give chase because the guy on it had no helmet on!

Dont get me wrong, I am not whiter than white but I get really hacked off with this biker 'victim' culture - in this instance the old bill were damned either way.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

I don't care who the old bill are chasing, be it car or bike, there is no reason whatsoever for them to chase someone on the public road doing 155mph. Apply some logic, a vehicle has a number plate so record it and pick em up later. If its stolen then who gives a shit, no innocent member of the public should be put at risk just to get someones pride and joy back, if my bike was stolen and the old bill were chasing that doing 155 mph id be fuc#ing furious, chances are it would end up a mangled wreck.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Madness

Its crazy doing speeds like that on a busy motorway, you are asking to get caught, Plod are always about somewhere on these types of roads!!! dont get me wrong, I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie myself and love to ride fast, (maybe not so often now as I am off the sportsbikes and knocking on a bit, ha ha) but I know the smaller quieter roads which are not policed and where I can do these sort of speeds if I get the notion to 

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

I dont think the cop is damned either way, he's there to do what he's paid to do and in this particular matter, he's dealt with a motorcyclist doing 156 on a motorway. Whats the issue ?

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Industry hypocrites

I'll sell you the drug, encourage you to use it and then condemn you when you get caught using it.

Magazines, manufacturers and dealers (sic) all pushing their product but then denying any culpability when this happens.............two faced tossers.

At least this guy had the guts to stand up and admit what he had done not grovelled about his job/family/bad childhood. He had the courage of his own convictions and stated that he felt totally in control and knew what he was doing. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but I've been there and I accepted the risk cos it's me who'll get hurt.

To all those who say they've never done anything like this on the road, then bully for you.

To all those who have and didn't get caught and are now calling the guy......tossers.

Reply to this Topic
triskellion

Mar 09

triskellion says:

Not helping bikers!

Unfortunately he hasnt helped the biking cause at all, I have nothing at all against going quick but there is a time and a place and this certainly was not it! However I do have to question the sense of the police officer who took 8 minutes to pull him over, surely it would have been a lot safer for all concerned to stop him as soon as he was hitting silly speeds in those traffic conditions?

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

what a knob. If he was on a completely empty straight piece of motorway with no junctions, then MAYBE you could argue it was safe, but in this case no, he was being a moron and is obviously unsafe, and this is coming from someone that is usually on the side of the speeder, but this is just obviously dumb, what a tool

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

how many trackdays does £2000 pay for?  not to mention the ongoing costs of having a ban, a criminal record etc etc .... wait until the first insurance quote arrives in 2014.

is it really worth it?

having said that, i was convinced i was followed by an unmarked 'Blade through Cheshire last weekend ....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices