Skip to content

Discuss This Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

A motorcyclist has been banned from driving after arguing unsuccessfully that speeding at 156mph did not constitute dangerous driving. Peter Clarke, 44, was filmed at the high speed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year by an officer on an unmarked Honda Fireblade. Clarke was followed for eight minutes and was also seen undertaking other vehicles. Clarke,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 09:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ExiledRedBaron

Jul 09

Dangerous ???

I've been living in Germany for > 35 years and have been doing 150mph on the autobhan for many of those years on several different bikes. No danger at all. The real danger when biking is always when there's a huge speed differential between bikes/vehicles. This was borne out some years when visiting the family in the UK and stupid pillock pulled out from a car park at 90 degees to me, right out in front of me and me doing 55 mph. That's the only accident I've had in 45 years on two wheels. Never had even a moment on the autobahn at high speed, so I don't have a problem when Mr. Clarke said he wasn't driving in a dangerous manner.

BTW - I completely agree with the one-sided attitude taken re. police vehicles in the UK. It sounds very much as though the FireBlade rider wasn't free of blame/guilt but they always get away with it.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Some people on here are saying the Police should not have chased him at that speed as it doubled the danger. What if the  policeman had not chased him and pulled him over and he had then gone on to kill himself or someone else? Then people would be saying 'if they had pulled him over, that wouldn't have happened'! The guy was down to less than 100mph when he was pulled over and I think the policeman did the right thing. I did 146mph last year but I had the common sense to do it on a deserted stretch of motorway late in the evening.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Shame to see all those running this guy down for going a bit fast on the motorway. He should have been let off with a caution, instead of being treated like a hardened criminal. Who did he hurt?  No one, unlike two others mentioned on this site, a dangerous woman driver who killed one of our own number, Lying through her teeth and claiming mismatched tyres to cover her crime, and an angry homicidal farmer who ran an innocent man down because he had the temerity to ride on "his" land!  Both walked scot free from court while our friend here got a ban and fines for doing what we all like to do now and again, and hurting no one.   Don't look to the British legal system for justice, certainly not if you're a motorcyclist.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

bikerpete51!

I suspect your comments are to wind up others into making more comments for this story. If not, I suspect the 51 part of your name is your IQ, because the fact that this guy didn't have an accident (almost certainly fatal at that speed) was down to luck and not skillful riding. You can be the best rider in the world but you don't know what anyone else is going to do, especially when you are undertaking at speed, and undertaking is a profession he may well need to experience in the future if this case is anything to go by.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Wheres the problem?

Ive been driven on the back of an R6 at 156 before and , while the numbers seem big , you must remember that other road users in the fast lane will be going at around 70 too. Bikes are much more agile than cars , especially when it comes to high speed , i dont personally go at those kinds of speeds (partly cos i dont want to lose my licence , partly because im never out of the city and partly because im not really the type) but given the right precautions , why not?

I mean if you were to see the laws view of that kind of driving , its classed as dangerous driving right? Well sure it is if you are driving dangerously (ie , swerving all over the place , filtering at those speeds , generally being a bit of a dick) but if you were to ride in a straight line , on the right section of the lane , avoiding the blind spots of other users , you are in clear view of anyone using their mirrors , you are allowing yourself room for error if someone pulls out on you , you have a better view of the traffic on your left hand side , have a smaller chance of getting hit by spray on wet days , generally driving safely right?

This is why I think speed limits for bikes should be a bit higher. Not much , maybe about 10 mph or so and i know people will call me a statistic for saying this but seriously , think about it.

Also that unmarked police driver was doing 100mph right next to rider. Isnt that dangerous driving? He then overtook him using half a car width (huge demonstration of dangerous driving) then flashed his lights , I assumes , and pointed the rider to the side of the road. Those lights could have startled the rider too , possible causing a crash. Both riders then pulled over a little too quick for my taste , but then im the slow ride type. I doubt he had lights on before he overtook the rider.

Undertaking at those speeds is another kettle of fish though.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

ExiledRedBaron

My thoughts exactly! I'd like to join you on the autobahn :D

Reply to this Topic
HerbertChapman

Sep 10

Come on chaps. We've all done it.

We've all ridden our machines at illegal speeds. It's why we buy these toys in the first place. If I feel like a proper 3 figure blast, I usually scope the stretch of road first in one direction to check for mobile speed traps or any sign of Plod, then let rip coming back, one eye on the mirror at all times. But if I were caught I would just stick me hand up and say 'guilty as hell your honour' and take my punishment. I cannot think what possessed this bloke to contest a DD charge after clocking damn near 160mph! Cost himself an extra £500 in his fine, I reckon, aswell as the £1000 costs....nitwit.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Er..

..having looked at the video a couple of times, the only time the speeds of the chaser and chasee were matched was at 99-100 mph, the same speed as the car in front of the chasee!

Was that car stopped?

Why is it ok to (allegedly) do 156 mph while chasing a motorbike, but too dangerous to wade into 3ft of water to rescue a drowning man?

Having said that, I do support the "time and place" comments on here.

Reply to this Topic
gsxr1969

Apr 04

gsxr1969 says:

Germany

Regarding the comment about riding on the autobahn. I drive through Germany regularly on my UK to Finland trips and must say the discipline there is superb. The difference is that autobahn users know that people drive at very high speed so they drive accordingly and spend a lot more time looking in mirrors. In Germany it would be safe, in the UK not. IMO

Reply to this Topic
MartinZ

Sep 11

MartinZ says:

useless UK Police

Every time any useless traffic policeman talks about undertaking he should be punched in his face and made redundant: at least one third of the motorways are unused thanks to Police ignorance of this huge problem of hogging lanes costing us time and money. These traffic bastards should work for us and making roads more usable and only then look for making up victimless crimes as described in the article.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices