Skip to content

Discuss This Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

A motorcyclist has been banned from driving after arguing unsuccessfully that speeding at 156mph did not constitute dangerous driving. Peter Clarke, 44, was filmed at the high speed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year by an officer on an unmarked Honda Fireblade. Clarke was followed for eight minutes and was also seen undertaking other vehicles. Clarke,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 09:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

You pays your money...you takes ya chance, silly boy!! the days of giving it a blip on the Mway are long gone!! too many unmarked cars and bikes now, like others have said, time and a place and this wasn't it, shit happens, also attitudes towards speed have changed because of all the do gooders branding us as rabid murderers !! i always remember my old man and his mate getting followed out of Manchester on the A580, old bill in a 2.8 Capri was flat on the stop chasing them, when they finally saw the car in their mirrors they did the right thing and pulled over, bobby gets out the car, now then chaps, what speed where you doing then????? er we dunno ..."well i was doing 120 and you two where clearing off" .....he gave them a bollocking and sent them on their way, that just wouldn't happen now, the difference is back then grown men were treated as such, now you're branded as a highly dangerous individual who is a menace to society....how times change!

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

quick bikes

its easy to say the guy was driving dangerously , and i for one think his speed was exessive and dangerous on a busy road. but if your on a quiet A road with a with a high performance sports bike on a nice sunny day with dry roads are you going to go for it to get that buzz. I think most people would say yes. including me. Is that dangerous driving id say yes because you only need a tractor to pull out or a fox to run out in front of you. But if their wasnt an element of danger in it. would you still get that same buzz. probably not

Reply to this Topic
spareman

Feb 04

spareman says:

I must confess. I did well over 100mph on a public road last year.

One of the riders in our group did in excess of 150mph !

But -  we were in Germany; on the autobahn of course.

It didn't feel safe to me there, so God knows what it would be like in the UK.

Maybe speeds up to 100mph might be (relatively) safe in the UK, in certain situations, but I would only be comfortable with it if the rider/driver in question was trained to the highest standard.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Well........

A few years ago this guy would have been thrown in prison so a long ban and big fine is quite a result compared to that.

Reply to this Topic
lgoldup

Sep 11

lgoldup says:

Dangerous?

It's not dangerous if you know the bike, the road and your limits.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

lgoldup

"lgoldup says

Dangerous?

It's not dangerous if you know the bike, the road and your limits."

How on earth can you say undertaking at over 150mph on a busy motorway is not dangerous, if someone was changing lanes and a bike came up the inside at that speed you'd have little or no chance of avoiding a disaster

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

A tad naughty to be fair!.

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Hmmmm

I did not see anything dangerous in the film other than the manoeuvre by the police Q bike pulling alongside him in the same lane at that speed. An example was made of this rider 'pour encourager les autres'. I hope everybody was proud of themselves on the side of the forces of justice.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

He may have been

an experienced rider and in total control of his machine, but the traffic around him may have been driven by people not long passed their test...

I have no doubt that if a car had pulled out into his lane and he'd gone into the back of it, we'd be saying that the driver should be burned at the stake for not paying attention etc, when in actual fact a car driver checking his mirrors would have little chance of seeing a bike hammering up behind at that speed.

If he's been in total control at 156mph, would he STILL be in total control whilst heavily (panic) braking FROM that speed?? I doubt it.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

"It'snot dangerous if you know the road". Rather a disturbing approach, methinks. What if the road has hada repair done you don't know about? How well do you know each and every little bend or defect and at what speed do you normally ride that road, becasue riding it at 70 and "knowing" it is very different to riding it at 156. I was always taught to ride a road on what you can see, not what you know. The point about other traffic being a danger is very real, especially when "filtering enthusiastically" ( or undertaking ). Most drivers, if they hear a noise such as a bike coming up behind them or alongside them, will generally look towards where they perceive it to be coming from. While doing that, they subconsciously steer towards where they are looking. So, if you're coming up between two cars, one driver is looking and steering to the right and the other to the left, the gap you saw is effectively being shut. Starts to get a little sticky from then on......

I haven't watched the video clip, by the way, nor do I intend to. There will always be those who don't see the danger in what they do, but for myself, I've taken some hard knocks over the years and learnt the painful way. We all make our own choices at the end of the day, so who's to say we're right or wrong, apart from our own conscience.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices