Skip to content

Discuss This Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban and fine for rider who argued 156mph wasn’t dangerous

A motorcyclist has been banned from driving after arguing unsuccessfully that speeding at 156mph did not constitute dangerous driving. Peter Clarke, 44, was filmed at the high speed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year by an officer on an unmarked Honda Fireblade. Clarke was followed for eight minutes and was also seen undertaking other vehicles. Clarke,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 09:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Over the top..........but

Yes, this guy was riding too fast for the conditions with other vehicles about but 99% of sport bike riders regularly top the ton.

My max (08 R1) is a speedo 186 on the M62 and 160 on the A570.

You just have to pick the correct time and place to do it in safety.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Over the top..........but

Yes, this guy was riding too fast for the conditions with other vehicles about but 99% of sport bike riders regularly top the ton.

My max (08 R1) is a speedo 186 on the M62 and 160 on the A570.

You just have to pick the correct time and place to do it in safety.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Question

If is was dangerous to make progress through traffic at that speed, then why was it safe for the traffic Plod, on an unmarked bike with no lights or siren?  Does he have Spidey Senses, or does his little bit of "I AMZ LEET RIDAR" paper protect him and the other road users?

Reply to this Topic
TH427

Sep 11

TH427 says:

Rogerborg - So Police should stop doing something if it dangerous?

Others are right, he may be in control of his speed, but I very much doubt he would be if he had to stop suddenly from such a speed. Ride to the conditions.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Of course police shouldn't be doing something dangerous. The idea is that they are trained and drilled such that they can mitigate against more risk, not so that they can ride/drive dangerously. I'd be interested to see the police training that he had had for handling a bike at 150+mph. It's also a mistake to assume that if someone is driving/riding on behalf of the police that they will not make any mistakes. As someone who came less than a foot from being taken out by a police-biker riding like a twonk in the fast lane of the A64, I can vouch for them being just as fallible as everyone else. You know they've got it wrong big style when a member of the public can go ballistic at them and they just apologise.

Reply to this Topic
englishpaul

Sep 04

englishpaul says:

I think the point that most people are missing is that the 156mph was achieved ONLY by the police bike speeding up to catch up with the Suzuki - just read the information available on the video - once the police bike catches up the speed levels off to around 100mph - still excessive but not unusual on the motorways. There is NO reading under S:! The Gixxer was never clocked at 156mph, the police motorcyclist was! Had the Gixxer been travelling at 156mph it would have taken the policeman a lot more speed and time to catch up with him - if fact I doubt very much that he would have caught him at all. I blame the media [MCN included] for not looking at the facts properly and reporting nonsense...

Reply to this Topic
Malfunction03

Jan 12

Double standards as norm!

Yes he was going to quick and deserved the fine and ban. Who has not speeded at some point but lucky enough to get away with it. Was it dangerous, debatable with modern bikes and good road sense?

My point is the police have to do a job yes. But if he was driving dangerously at that speed so was the officer following yet as per normal this is not mentioned at all in the trial?

The police get advanced driving lessons yes, but as already stated below by some no advanced driving course trains to drive at that speed on public roads with other road users?

Especially when unmarked and other road users would treat as just another rider? (Very double standards!)

In America this would have probably been thrown out for entrapment as the rider was technically getting egged on with another unmarked hence normal rider behind?

I think the court case was defended from the wrong angle, he was in the wrong hand up yes. But so was the officer following who could quite easily have been miss read as wanting to race?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

If is was dangerous to make progress through traffic at that speed, then why was it safe for the traffic Plod, on an unmarked bike with no lights or siren? Does he have Spidey Senses, or does his little bit of "I AMZ LEET RIDAR" paper protect him and the other road users?

you can see in the video he put on his blus lights as they were reflecting of the speeders number plate just before he pull him over. and if the cop was in a car they would of called it off or used the chopper.

i have been on the back of a bike at 130 at the over on the Isle of Man and it was safe at the time.

Reply to this Topic
vstrombandit

Sep 09

vstrombandit says:

no balls

All this bleating about the Police shouldn't have done this, should have done that, it's double standards blah blah.

It's simple - he was speeding by a large margin and undertaking on a busy road. He got caught and should have had the balls to take it on the chin, but he acted like a spoilt child and tried to wriggle out of it. Another opportunity for the "bikers are bad" brigade to snipe aat us. isn't the first or last time....

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Right decision.

Peter Clarke 'admitted riding at the speeds given by police'. It's not therefore a case of police entrapment or innaccurate reporting, but a case of an arrogant moron wasting court time. The court made the right decision.

I bet this guy is one of the multitude of bikers who constantly moans that all car drivers are idiots who never look out for bikers, but bizarrely still expects them to see him come hammering up the outside lane at over twice the speed limit. And those who think he can blame the unmarked bike for 'egging him on' obviously lack the mental capacity to think for themselves.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices