Skip to content

Ask an Expert whats a suitable first big bike? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > whats a suitable first big bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

whats a suitable first big bike?

i passed my A2 license (33BHP restrcition for 2 years) in october and now the weathers starting to improve i want to buy a bike, i had a de restricted 50cc moped for 3 years so i have 3 years NCB and ive had a car for 2 years, im looking to spend around 2,000-2500

id like a sports bike as ive had insurance quotes on an r6 of around 400 which i think is fairly reasonable.

would it be too fast for me? i did look at bandit 600's aswell

what would everyone reccomend i buy? ideally i want a good beginners bike but its hard to ignore the voice in my head telling me to buy an r6 :D

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 13:34)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

r6

In my opinion there is no point having a restricted R6. You will likely drop it at some point so I would go with an unfaired bike until you get to grips with a larger bike.

If you don't restrict it, not only will you not be insured but yes will probably end in a heap at the side of the road.

Good learner bikes would be er5/6, diversion, cb500, zzr400( older but still has the sports look)...

Check ebay and search for 33bhp (ebay ), there are loads including a few nice looking ninja's.

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

what bike

you could try CBF500 or GPZ500 , GPZ is quite sporty looking ,

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

There's plenty

of big bikes that'll perform (Hornet, SV650, ER5/6, Bandit 650 / GSX650F) without killing you or tying themselves in knots if (when) you make a mistake.

Bear in mind that you may like sports bikes, but so will a thief. Restricting a bike like an R6 is pointless; its like buying a cheetah and making it walk.

Don't know if its your taste, but the Ninja 250 has the sports look and A2 compatible without restriction.

Other than that, the ER and SV are probably easier to restrict (restriction affects different bikes in different ways).

Final point on sporty bikes: low bars and high pegs can be bloody uncomfortable and tiring after a while; something to bear in mind if your planning any distance trips or daily commuting with the bike.

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

thanks for your advice everyone :) yeah i see where your all coming from, a sports bike would be expensive to fix if i have a spill which as a new rider is pretty likely (my fault or not) and its pointless having one to restrict it.

so basically a sensible option would be a bandit/sv 650 or a hornet?

i did look at ninja 250's theyre hands down the nicest looking 250 in my opinion, but theyre alot of money for what they are and my mates one was fairly slow tops out at 75 ish, i need something to commute up the motorway on ideally.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

My lad

went 2009 SpeedFight 2 50 LC, 18mths, 2007 Varadero XL125, 6 months, 2006 CBF500, but now he's abandoning us two wheelers for a 2005 Corsa.. ..something about commuting on motorways and not affording to insure both.

The CBF500 has seen 3 figures even with the restrictor on, and was a great bike without it, solid, dependable, capable, frugal, cheapish to insure.  I'll miss it.

Actually, any 33bhp restricted middleweight is a big step up and sure to delight, but a twin will restrict better than a four.

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

same :)

wow thats a similar story to me, i had a 2007 speedfight 2 50cc ac for 3 years from 16-19 i passed my car test at 18 and had a moped + the 2003 corsa i still own, for a year, i couldnt afford to insure both so i got rid of the bike as i motorway commute and i passed my A2 license last july :)

im looking at a 600 bandit now... i can get insurance for £200 third party fire and theft and the bike for 1800-2300

thanks everyone :) 

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

If you can find one

A GPZ305 is 33bhp legal without restriction. Will return 70+ mpg and will commute on a motorway easily.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Ninja 250R

I wouldn't describe myself as the biggest Ninja 250R fan in the world but I can't imagine a restricted bike giving much better performance than the 250R. Its gearing etc has been configured for its power output where as many of the other bikes aren't and its main fault is that it lacks torque...
Actually I found mine best on the motorway or dual carriageways - when wound up its quite fast enough most of the time and will definitely hold 75 under most conditions (up or down most hills) - the time I used to get upset with it was the 40-75 time which is slower than cars... Its top speed is quoted as 110 which should be treated with a touch of salt but probably means that given a long enough flat road it would see 90 when normally seated (Not something i was ever prepared to risk).
I preferred my ER6F because it had a lot more low end but mine wasn't restricted and I have never ridden a restricted one. I have encountered a restricted SV and it was definitely no faster than the 250R and may well have been much slower...
Understand about the cost issues. The 250R was announced with a RRP of £3000 but I think the price went up many times in that first year! As others have said if you can find a good one a GPZ500/ GPZ305 might give you you more affordable bike that you might like...
Should have added that a number of other bikers have restricted CBR600F s of various vintages (e.g. pre 2003, pre 2000 models). Not sure how well they work but I would guess it would be closer to your desired R6 in style etc and maybe at a sensible price...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jamesprice

Mar 12

jamesprice says:

sv650

i am currently selling a 33bhp sv650 if your interested?

sv650

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

bandit 600

i put a deposit down on a 2002 bandit 600 yesterday, was too good to pass up. absulutely spotless only 10k miles and a really cheap price :) picking it up next weekend

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices