Skip to content

Ask an Expert Advice for elderly short arse! Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Advice for elderly short arse!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

Advice for elderly short arse!

I am 64 years young and about to take my mod2. When I pass(!) I want to upgrade to a larger restricted bike. I have put 2000 miles on my cbf125. I have a budget of £4k, need a light weight, low seat hight easily restricted bike. Suggestions so far - MT-03, CBF500, bonny T140.

Advice welcome! 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 March 2012 21:01)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What

height / weight are you?

Have you looked at Kawasaki ER6? Its fairly newbie friendly, insurance friendly and will restrict ok. Many bikes can be lowered anyway, maybe worth a trip to some dealers / shops and having a sit on some (ask if there's a lowering kit for the bikes you like), and maybe worth looking at some of the smaller cruiser bikes as well.

I'm guessing your doing the 33bhp test?

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

What sort of bike do you want?

I first thought of an ER6 too. Although it already has a fairly low seat its also fairly narrow so its easier to reach the ground than some. I had one for a while and they are pretty good allround bikes. If thats not low enough the 250R Ninja is even lower although I found that the insurance was higher, its more uncomfortable and performance lower...
The Honda CBF600's seat is height adjustable so a restricted one of those might be okay. Simmarly I expect the new CBR250 is quite nice (not seen one).
The Suzuki Bandit isn't particularly low but it is a nice easy to ride bike too.
The Yamaha Fazer FZ6 is quite slim but I don't know how well it restricts.
BMW F800ST/ F800S restrict well and might just be in your budget (mine cost 3600 s/h). Seat height is fairly low to start with but lower seats can be ordered (I got one through ebay) and if you were lucky to get a bike that had been done at the factory they also do a low suspension model that can be combined with the low seat. Insurance is fairly low...
I haven't included the SV650S since you said you were short and life experienced and I assumed you would prefer a more "sit up" riding position. A lot of riders have these and have them restricted but its up to you...
You should have a good look around and decide which local dealers you trust and would buy from. This might also restrict your list...
The CBF500 are difficult to find. They were not too well received in the press (particularly compared to the CB500 which is almost identical). Most of the few that were sold were bought by commuters or businesses who aren't going to sell them either. I think the CBF600 (4 cylinder) is an easier to ride bike. The little CBF250 is quite a sweet thing but very rare and smaller/weedier than the 250R.
Meridian Triumph T140 unless you are absolutely certain I would avoid - they are my era bikes but they were very unreliable when sold (let alone 30 years old). you would need it restricted because they provided about 50bhp when new and it will become a bit of a major project.... On a similar vein - When I came back to biking I fancied a kawasaki ER5 - I liked the traditional style but when I rode one back to back with a bandit I much prefered the bandit - much easier to ride and much more fun...
As a real outside chance have you seen the Royal Enfield's? Not at all sporty but full of character, low seat height and already restricted (28BHP)...

As far as insurance is concerned don't assume a small bike will be cheap to insure or because you are more experienced that your insurance will be low. It really doesn't work that way please get some quotes....

Welcome and well done (for riding a bike at last - next time don't leave it so late :lol:).

Andy (46)

Reply to this Topic
jamesprice

Mar 12

jamesprice says:

sv

i have for sale right now  33 bhp sv650s with lowering links in so this would fit your requirements?

sv650

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

and

I have a slightly less tidy CBF500 A6 with Scottoiler and Givi, but I think the original poster has a bit more budget and will want something newer.

That SV650 looks very tidy.  Has it been lowered on the forks too?

Reply to this Topic
jamesprice

Mar 12

jamesprice says:

sv650

the forks have not been lowered no, but the back has only been slightly lowered, i had a small bit if foam taken out the seat aswell to make it a nice height, the lowering makes very little difference to the handing aswell

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices