You are in... Forums > General > General > exhausts and mot

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

exhausts and mot

morning all just wandered what the legal requirements are for my exhaust when i take to get mot.first time i had a bike to need an mot in years.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 March 2012 07:59)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sprag

Aug 02

sprag says:

depends where you take it

some places 'insist' on standerd pipes and wont entertain any 'after market' ones esp if they are a bit loud while other more 'biker' friendly places will let it go if you tell em you have the standerd ones at home. I've come across both sorts so my advice before booking your MoT is to pop in and simply ask if the pipes you have on your bike would be ok and if they say yes then go ahead but if they say no way then you know what to do. Saves you time and money.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

MOT and Exhausts

The requirements for the exhaust are (a) that the exhaust mountings must be secure and not fouling any part of the rear suspension (b) the exhaust must not be holed and free from leaks from all joints and boxes (c) replacements are legal but need a BSAU 193 stamp (or equivalent) when fitted to any bike registered after Jan 1st, 1985. 

Obviously, anything marked 'not for road use' will fail and a judgement on the decibel level on any exhaust is at the discretion of the MOT tester.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Bike MOT

I believe the situation re motorcycle MOT and exhausts changed about 3-4 years ago. Up to then you needed a BSAU193 or E4 stamp on the exhaust. Nowadays I believe its reverted back to the discretion of the MOT station that its not overly loud. Reason for this is many companies made BS stamps to claim race cans were legal (when they were in fact too loud) and DB killers can now be fitted to race cans to make them legal.

Much stuff on the internet re MOT's can be a few years out of date (unless its from the government) so I'd check with the MOT centre.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

MOT

definately depends where you go.

I use and old guy who deals in classic bikes but does MOT's for £25 while you wait.

He doesnt start the bikes up, he hears you pull up.

He does do a proper job as i found out when failed me on rear wheel bearings but ignores the exhaust bit as he believes louder the safer. i've had two machines both tested by him both with cans marked 'not for road use'

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I agree with most others on this

It does seem to depend on who you take it to. My Harley goes straight through with a Vance and Hines two into one on it and the BMW has a loud exhaust too.

When Mr B had his own workshop he used to charge Harley owners £10 to fit standard pipes for the MOT and swap back to the customers own system afterwards. A sort of exhaust rental idea. Very lucrative, but wouldn't work now you don't need to have the stamp on the pipes.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

our local

doesn't worry if he knows you.

Just build a good reputation with you and garage

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

it is

the mot testers decision wheter or not the exhaust is too loud or not regardless of markings ....they're normally not arsed if you slip em a tenner in the tips jar.... or bring em some biscuits in :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

bribery?

thats lucky my good lady works in a biscuit factory.:lol:

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

my silencer passed even tho it was leeking gas at a joint and a bit loud. my other bike was not started at the mot so the mx silener passed.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

slidersdown

problem solved :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle