Skip to content

Discuss This 'Think Bike' campaign launched General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 'Think Bike' campaign launched

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

'Think Bike' campaign launched

A £1.2million campaign to get drivers to look out for motorcyclists has been launched by the Government. TV adverts will show riders with neon signs attached to their bikes flashing messages such as 'new dad' or 'shy retiring type'. It's hoped it will lead drivers to see riders as individuals after research showed they were more likley to notice motorcyclists if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 March 2012 09:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Goodo

I like these ad's, and think they'll do more to help us be noticed then hi-vis to be honest :)

Reply to this Topic
jqworle

Jan 12

jqworle says:

Atlast

About time more awareness was made on public communication media.It should be on all year through imho.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Think Bike

It's a good campaign and I support it. However, don't let the politicians fool you into thinking it is something new.  These ads, which are good, have been run before.  This is only a repeat of an old campaign.   

Reply to this Topic
mgivogue

Aug 02

mgivogue says:

viewing items on site

i tried to view the article "Bimota DB9 Brivido first ride: 'One of my top bikes of 2012'...and was sent to a login prompt.

I then logged into MCN and tried again...now, I get the error "You do not have sufficient rights to view this page.

WTF...is MCN now becoming a pay site?

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Think Bike

I drove to Bristol Yesterday in the dense fog with 50% of the BMW driver nobs driving with front fog lights on only. No dipped lights and no rear lights at all. Without question, all of the stupid speeders (90mph plus in dense fog) were Audi drivers again with many having no lights on. 

And what did all the 50 foot high motorway warning signs say?? Certainly not "Put your lights on". They said "Think Bike, Think Biker".  What a wast of time. I did not see one biker on the motorway in the entire 300 miles of my journey. Bikers are not stupid. The majority avoid such conditions at all costs. Advertise yes, but make it poignant and applciable to the circumsances. You might then find that it sinks into the memories of some car drivers.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Reruns

As these are old ads, where are the figures to suggest they had any impact the first time they were run? Knowing that market research is all important in this field, is the government that confident in their decision, or are they just being lazy and saving money on a new campaign whilst wanting to be seen as actually giving a fuck about raising driver awareness. Just a thought...

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Judges should watch

Nothing wrong with safety campaigns. We need every bit of help out there. But I think all those judges who have let car drivers off  (who have killed a biker)  to watch them. Maybe if the courts started to back us up instead of it "being our fault, we were on a bike, so we were asking for it" actually coming down hard on those drivers.

That bell end on the GSXR-1000 doing 156pmh; that doesn't help us either.

I too noticed Audi & BMW drivers driving on the back of other cars in the fog with no lights on. What is it that makes you remove your brain when you drive one of those cars?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Better than nothing

However since they're trying to get cagers to see us as people, it would be nice if they actually showed them what it's like to be us.

Do one from a biker's point of view, from inside the helmet. Just a normal commute in a stream of traffic, sensible speed, lots of obs, tra-la-la, then Joe Everyman in a Focus pulls right out in front. "Nooooo...", smack, man down, looking up at the sky, slam, tromp tromp tromp, plaintive "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You", fade out on laboured breathing.

This thought inspired by yet another near miss this morning, although I spotted the flat cap in time and anticipated it.  Honest to god, if the government want to get bike KSIs down, mandate that all headgear (flat caps, baseball hats) and mobile phones (clamped to the ear) be hi-vis so that we can see the likely hazards, you're never going to get them to see us even if we're lit up like Christmas trees.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

@Rogerborg FANTASTIC idea!! I think you should show the biker dying in the end and the driver getting a £60 fine in court! £60 is a lot of money these days may put car drivers off murdering us?

Reply to this Topic
ghettochildren

Jan 08

Well said...Rogerborg

...We're never going to get them to see us. Even if We light our selves up as a blinking Christmas tree..!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices