Skip to content

Discuss This Farmer cleared over trail rider’s death on his land General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Farmer cleared over trail rider’s death on his land

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Farmer cleared over trail rider’s death on his land

A farmer who chased trail riders in a Land Rover which crushed one of them to death has been cleared of manslaughter. Timothy Wolfe, 63, pursued five riders who had accidentally strayed from green lanes onto his property in October 2010. As the group, on road-legal KTM’s, turned on to a narrow track to escape, the car collided with the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 March 2012 13:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

what the f**k, a guy died here, seems crazy this

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
danny201281

Oct 09

danny201281 says:

So its ok for farmers to chase bikers. But not for police to chase bike thives? What's up with that

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

?!

It took them less than 2 hours? Wow people have been charged with manslaughter, slung in prison for such less obvious reasons, this is seriously rediculous, since when is a man's life worth so little, this is disgusting, if a motorcyclist was chasing a pedestrian then ran him over killing him... I hope the murdering tool has his dreams haunted for the rest of his days

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

OK I get that it's not manslaughter. Bringing a charge of manslaughter was stupid, otherwise every case of causing death by dangerous driving would also be manslaughter. It should have been a case of causing death by dangerous driving. There's no doubt in my mind that chasing somebody in a motor vehicle in this way is dangerous driving, no matter what the motivation. In my opinion it's the CPS that let down Greeves, not the court.

Reply to this Topic
oceaa

Dec 08

oceaa says:

Manslaughter;
The crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

So it was manslaughter and as it was on private land the dangerous driving statute doesnt apply. There is no accounting for a jury verdict so the only thing his family can do is take a civil action for damages. That at least will help the family financially and ensure some measure of payment by the perpetrator of this violent death.

The farmer who had made the decision to pursue the guys on their bikes has acted appallingly and obviously without thought for the potential consequences. The only recourse is civil as the CPS have proceeded correctly on manslaughter and the jury court decision is final on that, unless new evidence can be brought forward to justify a retrial.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Is this the same group of riders who were so lost, they had to spend a fair bit of time racing up and down the same field?  Was this the same farmer who went to get a tractor to pull the car off the guy, who sadly expired while waiting for him to return? As much as I sympathise with the family of Mr. Greaves, it seems as if the full facts aren't perhaps being reported.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

hey you are on private property without the owners permission, nothing can make that offence correct , if it had been my land i would have shot the lot of them.

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

It's obvious the riders in the area do not respect for the land owner . If you want to ride on someones property you do the respectfull thing and ask if he says no you leave. I am guilty of this in the past and have earnt dirt bikers a bad name . If you are not doing anything wrong why ride away ? I'm sure the bikers were enjoying the the chase it is just unfortunate that he died .The farmer had no intent of killing a man that day just to remove bikers who damage his property and stock . Now he has to live with his actions

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

It's obvious the riders in the area do not respect for the land owner . If you want to ride on someones property you do the respectfull thing and ask if he says no you leave. I am guilty of this in the past and have earnt dirt bikers a bad name . If you are not doing anything wrong why ride away ? I'm sure the bikers were enjoying the the chase it is just unfortunate that he died .The farmer had no intent of killing a man that day just to remove bikers who damage his property and stock . Now he has to live with his actions

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

It is sad that he died but I find it hard to believe that they 'stumbled' on to his land.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices