Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Explorer 1200: How it compares to its rivals TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Explorer 1200: How it compares to its rivals

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph Explorer 1200: How it compares to its rivals

The Triumph Explorer 1200 represents Triumph's first foray in to the ultra-competitive big adventure bike class, competing against bikes like the BMW R1200GS, KTM 990 Adventure and new Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer. Video: Triumph Explorer 1200 first ride MCN editor Marc Potter rode the Explorer 1200 recently at the world launch in Spain and was impressed: "I have to say I am massively...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 March 2012 15:25)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Honda or Triumph

I have a refundable deposit on a Explorer (i already have a 800XC and love it so far) but i cant decide between the Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer and the triumph . Triumph have made a mistake by not having a spoke wheeled option as this may just move me towards the Honda (depending on service costs) for now perhaps until Triumph bring a more XC type model 1200 out. Why wont testers put in service costs and most importantly Miles per Tank and MPG in the test reports as on neither tests have they done this and it is infuriating as these have a big influence in deciding as to if i get a bike. it is a very exiting part of the bike market as the adventurer market is a buyers heaven at the moment and with all manufactures trying to get into it it should help keep prices down. But MCN testers please give tank range and MPG in your tests

Reply to this Topic
cyclelife

Jun 10

cyclelife says:

MPG

I'm sure they mentioned 42mpg somewhere, which if correct points me in the direction of the BMW or perhaps the Honda, to me a 150 mile range is not up to it. My present Triumph easily returns 52mpg touring so no reason to buy the Triumph.

Reply to this Topic
ugosugo

Jul 11

ugosugo says:

possibly a good choice, but in Italy it will be priced at 12,750 £ on the road!!

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

mpg etc

After playing on the explorer for 2 hours amongst others the demo bike had 800+ miles and averaged 44.4 mpg which aint bad for a new engine....i'd expect close to 50 once run in...and 800 Tiger demo I was on was showing 48.3 which i know get close to 55 in the real world. The Honda is heavy and thirsty and would be lucky to get close to 40..mates VFR 1200 is only getting 36 and its really starting to put him off what is otherwise a great bike. BMW is an antique and has more than its fair share of problems but does hold value well and once rebuilt properly is reliable but servicing can get costly. KTM....you buy these to keep them ...residual value is zero unless buying new again...drops 40% in the 1st year. Ducati...great open road bike and now has build quality to match. Kwak..its big and plastic...too much plastic for me..feels cheaply put together when really it isn't but needs a tallish rider. XT1200...closest challenger to the BMW to date and rightly so but the engine is a bit of a let down at low revs and again needs a tallish rider. I think Triumph actually got it right.

Reply to this Topic
Goulash

Jun 11

Goulash says:

MPG and bike testers

Dream on if you expect a decent review from any magazine to include real world mpg and ranges. They all thrash the tits off of anything they ride, part of the joy of being a tester i suppose. When it comes down to actual information a lot of us base our choices on, specially these days with the price of fuel etc, you won't get any sense out of any of them, which is a shame as i'd like to see that info as well. All the bike mags and other associated publications should wake up to this, as this is the real information people want to hear. As to these big adventure bikes, called tallrounders in my day, i wouldn't use any of them to travel the world that's for sure. The Explorer is nice and priced well, looks the business as well, but then i have it's smaller brother and will stick with that instead as it's so much lighter and easier to live with

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices