Skip to content

Ask an Expert XT 600 E 1993 - Not starting/Running fine after start Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > XT 600 E 1993 - Not starting/Running fine after start

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

XT 600 E 1993 - Not starting/Running fine after start

Hi Guys,

I have an XT 600 E (1993) and I've had a few problems with it. Got it in august as an incentive to pass my test , ran about on it after I finished my bike test , absolutely fine , then , one fateful day in october , the sidestand started geting niggly. Turned out the sidestand switch was getting confused. So we bypassed it. Cleaned carbs and replaced the spark around the time too.

Running fine then near the end of november , we had another problem. The bike is still having it now. Basically , it will be a bitch to start. It wont start about 7/8 of the time. The motor isturning over and we took the spark out and checked there was a spark gettign to it. There was , a steady blue/yellow spark (not electric blue as I though it would be but seemed ok).

When the bike does start , it runs absolutely fine. No niggles at all , just runs like the beast it is!

I've not been able to spot any recurrence in events with it (maybe rain or dirt getting in) but Ive started and driven it on rainy days just fine.

This morning , before I got ready for work (yes , sunday shift , hellish!) I went out and started it , started first time , 1 engine rotation , perfect. Didnt move it. Switched it off and got ready for work then came back out to it , wheeled it out the garden and tried to start the engine. It didnt start! So I wheeled the bike about 10 meters away from where it was , from my back garden down a ramp out our side gate and into the alleyway and that made the difference.

Now , thing is , I tried to start it about 4 times , whirrwhirrwhirr :( , whirrwhirrwhirr :( , whirrwhirrwhirrCLUNK*smoke* O.o , whi-bruuum :D.

Drove it to work and parked up. Tried to start it when I stopped and it started first time. Whi-bruum.

Now this has happened a couple of times, last time we had it running , same thing happened whirrwhirrwhirr :( , whirrwhirrCLUNK O.o , whi-bruum :D

So basically , we have already checked the grounds on the battery , made sure nothing was shorting on the frame. Checked the air filter (it was MANKY! smelled like a cows arse in there!) and cleaned it up , checked the carb (spotless) , checked the tank (some rust ,but not worryingly rusty), replaced our jesus (holy) exhaust with a quill one (sounds amazing btw , a evo2 in case you are wondering), replaced a burst inlet rubber and replaced the solenoid. Got one of my dads mates , a forklift mechanic , to check it over as a 2nd set of eyes. nothing. still happening. Also tried 3 different batteries in it , charging em after each use.

I am left thinking it is either the stator coil or the starter motor. The smoke I saw this morning seemed to be coming from the starter motor but it seems like it's turning. Stator coil would only affect it if it was running surely (its just a charging unit) could it maybe be debris in the crank getting in the way of the pickup on the flywheel?

I just dont know and its killing me to see such a bike in the back garden :(

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 March 2012 17:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Got er started

Ok , new starter motor came on Thursday and I fitted it this morning. Started first time. Also monitored batter voltages and saw that it was 13.5V standing , about 11-12 while attempting to start and ~13.5v running. I think it may have been the motor but I'll have to run it a couple of days and see if its fixed. Still baffled as to why it happened to begin with if it was that. Soldered up some temporary joins I had in place. Going a ride with the bike club tomorrow so I'll get a good chance to test it out there , all going well.

Too MUCH compression? As in the mix is air starved? The carbs were spotless so if it was soemthing like that I think we may be taking the engine to bits.

Ive not opened the old motor yet but I shall when I get the chance , most likely later on tomorrow.

Time will tell my friends!

Thanks for your help so far!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

valve lifter

I thought yours had an automatic valve lifter like the KLR650 and more big singles.

This reduces compression when starting making it easier for the starter motor.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Not Starting :(

Started it 3 times in the back garden , didnt mive it , last night  and it started first time , tried to start it this morning , nope , nothing , ran the battery flat while we fiddled about with wires and such. About to take the plug out and see if it is sparking.

hmmm possibly , I'm not sure tho.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Started

Got it started , changed the spark plug after we couldnt start it and 3 failed tries later it very reluctantly started. Pulled back the throttle a tiny bit and it started. That said though , I don't think it would make any difference as usually I just try to start it without touching the throttle and it would start first time.

the bike is electric start so I don't THINK it has a valve lifting system although the bike has an engine lifter from the earlier models which had kickstarts.

We thought of compression but the carbs are spotless , checked the gap on the spark plug and all is good there.

Yet again , I'm out of ideas :(

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Compression

Just to point you in the right direction a bit

"Too MUCH compression? As in the mix is air starved?"

"We thought of compression but the carbs are spotless"

Compression is the amount the fuel/air mix is squeezed by the piston rising in the engine (on the compression cycle), clean or dirty carbs won't effect this.

If your engine does have a valve lifter/decompressor that isn't working or is faulty it will affect the starting of the engine.

As for the fuel mixture, is the carb set up correctly (pilot jet, main jet/needle)?

Also are you getting a good spark from the plug?

Are the valve clearances all okay?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Compression

I dont think it has a valve lifter , this page nudges me to think of that:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/can-i-fit-kickstart-xt-41758

plus electric only.

Back when I last took it into the garage to get fixed (needed my sidestand switch bypassed and didnt have my soldering iron) I asked for the carb and spark to be cleaned and changed , he did tat but I'm not sure if he did actually recalibrate the jets and such as it was only £40 or so (surely jets would take a bit to calibrate).

I changed the spark to a new one today , checked the valve clearances (0.8mm in my manual). Checked it was sparking before we put it in and it was. A lively spark.

I'm at a loss as to what else it can be..

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Charging Issue?

Hi Guys,

Stuck a new starter motor in it from ebay and it's been starting first time ever since really. However , today when I took the bike to work , I tried to start it at lunchtime and it wouldnt even turn over , dash lights were really dim so I switched out the battery for one I had in my bag (only had it running a week or so) andit started first time. Got home and stuck that battery on charge and it is still charging now when it should be at full charge.

I think I might have some kind of short or something but not sure where. Looks like the train for me :<

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ok after start

By gum your a stubborn one,you no answer my first post last question,your multimeter can detect any power drainage when the bike is switched off. 

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Back Again

Hi again all , guess what!

Rode about on the bikle for 2 weeks , took it up to loch long and back and now... battery charging is gubbed. Scouting about for a possible culprit but it needs a new battery every time I ride it now. For example , I travel from the other side of glasgow to maryhill every day to get to work and by the time I reach the other side it needs a new battery.

Now heres the interestying part...

On Friday , I rode it to work , EK to Maryhill , by the time I got to work , I tried to start it and it started first tiem though the display was pretty dim. So I assumed the battery was getting charge somewhat. Stopped the bike , removed the sidepanel , took off the + lead and left it at the bottom left edge of the battery. Put the sidepanel on and went into work...

Lunchtime , felt like a chinese and since the bike was working and the chinese not far away , I decided to take it. Ran up to the chinese on it, maybe 1 mile away , and went in , came back out with my grub in my bag , tried to start the bike , NAP.

Fair enough , guess I deserved that one. Chucked in the spare battery I took to work that morning , maybe 1/2 a charge in it , started up first time. Ran it back , disconnected the + lead again.

Work day done , walked out to the bike and tried to start it with the + lead in , first time! Rode it back home not missing a beat , got about 7/8 of the way home and it cut out coming down a dual carriageway. Knew the reason why it stopped , it wasnt the electrical problem , it was my fuel. I was using my full tank , not reserve and I was starting to touch on reserver when it died. While it was rolling to stop in a nearby bus stop (how convenient!) I turned the tap over to reserve. When I had rolled to a stop , I tried to start it , nope , battery flat.

So by this point , I was a bit worried but it was cool because I knew the bus which stopped at the exact bus stop i was at would take me straight to my door! Called up my parents suspecting my batteries would'nt work , they were in so they said they would bring down a battery I had charging.

While I waited , I pushed the bike onto the path and onto another conveniently placed bit of quiet road , kind of like a lay by i guess.

Took the panel off and gave it a once over for some obviously screwed conections and tried to start it again , nothing. So I though , ok , lets try the other battery in it , for the lulz.

Started first time!

On a battery I thought was flat!

Called my parents and told them Id got it started , rode it back home , not missing a beat.

Got it home and tried to start it , battery dead.

Oh the confusion!

I'm not sure what you mean jaffa. I tried to answer the questions with my duffed up (but now fixed) multimeter. Did another check yesterday , when it was starting , and everything seemed ok. Fully charged bat read 12.8V , starting it read 10V , right after starting it read 12.5V and seemed to be rising, I don't have a rev counter on the bike but when I've got it at the usual sunday drive acceleration the voltage increased a bit faster but that is to be expected , right? Perhaps I should somehow mount it to my dash and take a peak at it while I am riding normally , maybe that would point me in the right direction.

But for tomorrow I'm straight out , snapped my front brake lever bolt while switching my handlebars from the pink ones (yep , pink) to some delicious black ones.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Have you got

alarm / immobiliser / tracker drawing on the battery?

If you take the + lead off the battery, and put your multimeter (on 10A setting, then on lower settings) (if you have a DC clamp meter, even better, because it can be done with the cables intact) between the + lead and + on the battery, do you get a reading with the engine off? If so, you have a "parasitic" current drain somewhere (the next steps would be to go through fuses etc). (I'm assuming at this point your alternator & reg/rec are working).

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices