Skip to content

Discuss This Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati?

The boss of India’s biggest motorcycle firm Hero MotoCorp has confirmed his company has discussed the possibility of buying Ducati according to a report issued by business press Bloomberg. Hero managing director Pawan Kant Munjal is reported to have said: “Lots of people have been coming to us with Ducati: Not one banker but many bankers. We’re talking to a lot...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 March 2012 14:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Indian Takeaway of Ducati

This is Turban Sprawl! Arguably leading to Turban Decay.If Indian Entrepreneurs want to build beautiful bikes go ahead. But please don't buy somebody elses style, Badge and history to make your own folks!!. I feel much that way about Jaguar too. McDonalds buying the Taj Mahal?

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

Is nothing sacred?

It would seriously put me off buying a Ducati...

Reply to this Topic
RoadTrekker

Sep 11

RoadTrekker says:

Ducati Riskshaws!

Ducati rickshaws will be seen at the next International Bike show. Just watch asset stripping and design moving to India. Another great name goes to the wall.

Reply to this Topic
stormrider66

Jul 08

stormrider66 says:

This has to be a joke, is it the 1st April already?

This will totally damage Ducati's reputation as an Italian style guru. I would NOT buy an Indian Ducati in a million years.

The day this happens R.I.P Ducati, been nice knowing you.

Reply to this Topic
Evogt

Apr 05

Evogt says:

Has to be a joke..

I can not believe what I have just read. If that happens I can see it being the downfall of Ducati. Come on AMG or VW get Ducati bought ASAP.

Reply to this Topic
gixercarl

Sep 06

gixercarl says:

ducati

this is awesome news

Reply to this Topic
taglioni

Mar 07

taglioni says:

Shocking

I'm a Fan of Ducati since 1980 and this is truly shocking me. Then we get a force India Ducati or what? A true nightmare!!

Reply to this Topic
gravelrash

Aug 02

gravelrash says:

I don't see this as a bad thing and I don't understand why some people are throwing their hands up in horror. Indian money is as good as anybody elses and Hero would have nothing to gain by asset stripping; they would be buying into a globally recognised brand so why damage it? It would not make good business sense and these are good businessmen. Ducati are still a low volume manufacturer compared to the Japanese marques; the stability of having a secure financial base will do them nothing but good.

The same fears were expressed when Tata bought Jaguar Land Rover and those fears have proved totally unfounded. Tata have invested huge amounts of money into JLR and now both brands are enjoying huge success.  The cars are still manufactured in the UK and both companies have expanded their workforce and quality has improved.  Why should not the same happen for Ducati?

I suspect some of the negative comments are inspired more by snobbery than a realistic analysis of the business case.  Honda had a 26 year relationship with Hero, I don't think the relationship would have lasted that long if Honda thought for one minute that it devalued their brand.

Reply to this Topic
tinktonk

Jan 09

tinktonk says:

Loss of character?

That's the only 'downside' I can think of if Hero were to buy Ducati. There would be a plan as to what the company is going to do, and it would be implemented efficiently with a close eye on what the target audience wants (that'll be the discerning European/North American rider, not a local Delhi boy). Having worked with large Indian multinationals, they're focused and are driven by engineers for engineering projects, not accountants. They'd also realise that the value of Ducati is in the image and would therefore retain that image. As already stated, JLR has improved enormously since being released from the Leyland method of 'work' and their products are better than ever.

Why is that a bad thing?

Reply to this Topic
ghettochildren

Jan 08

You know what they say...

'it's a small world after all' Still got there hands stuck in the Suzuki industries technology..! (sunbeam auto ltd)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices