Skip to content

Discuss This Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Indian firm Hero to buy Ducati?

The boss of India’s biggest motorcycle firm Hero MotoCorp has confirmed his company has discussed the possibility of buying Ducati according to a report issued by business press Bloomberg. Hero managing director Pawan Kant Munjal is reported to have said: “Lots of people have been coming to us with Ducati: Not one banker but many bankers. We’re talking to a lot...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 March 2012 14:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Hero/Ducati

I wonder if Hero have a tie up with Royal Enfield. Would love to see latest Ducati models with Bullet engines...

Reply to this Topic
bikenutter

Dec 10

bikenutter says:

Just because they're in India doesn't mean they don't know engineering and inginuety, as a studying engineer you'd be suprised how many Indians come over here to study engineering degrees and do a damn fine job of it.

Reply to this Topic
rattletop

Dec 10

rattletop says:

Hero sucks

The problem isn't 'AN INDIAN FIRM' buying ducati, it is HERO. Bajaj- an indian firm, have major stake in ktm and it hasn't hurt their brand. in fact they r helping ktm sell bikes in emerging markets. Hero on the other hand, have no innovation of any sort. until now, they survived because of honda's technology. but now honda sell their own bikes in india. in the past 6 months Hero haven't done anything significant and their market share is going down. now they r looking for find new partnership so that they can steal their ideas and gain market share. simply put, Hero have lots of money but no innovation. it will only hurt ducati's image.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

it never fails to amaze me how xenophobic some people can be and have no idea how the world works in the 21st century.  i doubt that many, if any people worry about:

1.  Jaguar Land Rover being owned by an Indian company
2.  Aston Martin being owned by an Anglo-Kuwaiti consortium, with some manufacturing outsourced to the Austrian company Magna Steyr (V8 Astons of course use Jaguar derived engines, so that's now an Indian motor, while the V12s come via Ford in Germnay).
3.  All new Rolls Royce Phantoms and Ghosts being substantially manufactured by BMW in Germany and basically assembled in the UK.  Similarly with Volkswagen-owned Bentley and the Continental GTs.
4.  Fiat forming a joint venture with India's TATA Motors and China's Chery Motors.
5.  Volvo Cars being a subsidiary of China's Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.

I could go on but you should, by now, get my drift.  Also, have you heard of Lakshmi Mittal, Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy?  I assume not.  If Indian business can put together a coherent business plan, then who's to say that Ducati won't go from strength to strength?

Finally, I also assume that the cave dwellers were also up in arms when Ducati was an American company between 1996 to 2005 when owned by the Texas Pacific Group, a US private equity investment firm.  I never realised a 916 was a pseudo Harley-D in a Gucci frock ....

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Hoping

Hoping this means the revival of the Ducati Indiana.

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

cosher b

"Cave dwellers"  you pompous prick!  Of course we all worry when iconic nationalistic products are sold on to foreign companies, that why we all comment on it! Jeeeez.

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

If they're good business people, who cares where they come from?

Tata have been fantastic for Jaguar Land Rover, so if Hero perform in a similar way, then it will be a good thing for Ducati. Tata haven't been afraid to invest massively in Castle Bromwich and Halewood, and have also dramatically increased sales into the growth markets in India and China. Jaguar now has a future thanks to them, whereas under Ford, it was a dead duck. The vast majority of the investment and profits will stay in the UK for years to come in the form of capital investment and employment. If they succeed in turning a profit eventually and have enough money in the business to take a dividend back to India, then good luck to them; they've earned it.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

Tom - what i can't stand is when a UK business is poorly run, limps along making bugger all returns from mediocre products, and then when it is sold to a 'foreign' investor, that has new ideas, enthusiasm, sound business ethics and hard cash, that Jonny English suddenly pipes up and develops a new-found interest in the business and derides anything that is 'foreign' as somehow inferior, subordinate or wrong.  in the case of the British, we seem to have lost our way in the manufacturing industries despite having the talent and the brands - just look how Honda, Toyota and Nissan are booming in the UK at present - and bear in mind, they are making what is classed as British cars!  i'd welcome the investment from the middle and far east any day - just look at where being part of the EU has got us.

for sure, i have Union Jack underpants too, but i'll never utter some of the drivel that emerged at the beginning of this thread simply because of a country of origin.  if that makes me a pompous prick, i can quite easily live with that.

and i admit to being biased - I drive an Indian Jaguar XK.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

100% both time CosherB

The only downside to this I can see (unlikely in the extreme of course) is the reintroduction of the Ducati /Cagiva Indiana - an abomination if ever there was one.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Same old

Ducati have survived several changes of ownership and financial ups and downs.

I would suggest that this has been good for Ducati who would not be where they are now unless the ownership had changed.

What's interesting is that Ducati is owned by a private company which is not named in this article.

If this change in ownership results in better motorcycles it will have been A Good Thing.

That's what happened before, time will tell

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices