Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

chrismscotland

Mar 12

Motorcycle Commuting

Hi folk first post, be gentle!

Looking for some commuting advice!
Looking to sit my CBT very soon and then complete my DAS this year.
I was initially planning to sit the DAS and just jump straight to a 600cc bike (Hornet, V-Strom or GS650) but I've decided that I'd be better to pickup a 125cc to get some practice on and also mean I can get onto 2 wheels quicker!

I'm looking at the Honda CBF125 which seems really well priced and I've seen a few used deals which should enable me to not lose much cash when it comes to sell on later in the year.

I'm intending on doing my commute across the city on it but I was wondering how do people commute? Do you wear your normal work gear and just stick your bike jacket / trousers over the top?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 March 2012 08:46)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oldenuff

Jan 10

oldenuff says:

Biking Gear

I don't commute daily but my most frequent trips - usually in the 35-60 miles round trip band - require me to turn up looking reasonably smart at the other end. I have found that good fabric kit with decent armour chosen a size bigger than I would otherwise wear allows me to wear tidy clothes while being warm dry and safe. I just need to change my boots for shoes, when I get there.  If you need a jacket leave one at work,  It is a bit bulkier than leathers, which I prefer if it is dry, but gets the job done without making a meal of it.  In the warmer weather you can dispense with zip-in linings and remain reasonably cool. 

I have found e-bay can, with a bit of patience, provide top-end kit at remarkably affordable prices. 

Reply to this Topic
oldenuff

Jan 10

oldenuff says:

Biking Gear

I don't commute daily but my most frequent trips - usually in the 35-60 miles round trip band - require me to turn up looking reasonably smart at the other end. I have found that good fabric kit with decent armour chosen a size bigger than I would otherwise wear allows me to wear tidy clothes while being warm dry and safe. I just need to change my boots for shoes, when I get there.  If you need a jacket leave one at work,  It is a bit bulkier than leathers, which I prefer if it is dry, but gets the job done without making a meal of it.  In the warmer weather you can dispense with zip-in linings and remain reasonably cool. 

I have found e-bay can, with a bit of patience, provide top-end kit at remarkably affordable prices. 

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

Chris

I commute daily across Edinburgh on my Bandit. Generally, I put my jaket and trousers on over my works clothes, but leave a decent pair of shoes and suit in a locket at work, in case I have to go to meetings etc.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

I leave a suit and shoes at work

and just wear leathers over my shirt.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

chris

Do you wear your normal work gear and just stick your bike jacket / trousers over the top?

It depends on your job to an extent.... if you work as a circus clown then trying to change gear with those huge clown shoes can be a problem ..and the spinning bow tie clattering on your Arai chin-guard can also be dangerously distracting.  However if you work as a lifeguard then a pair of Speedos should be no problem at all. :winkie:     

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Depends

on what you wear.

My kit is damn near 100% waterproof. Any failings in that have been down to me leaving a gap. That said, I spent the best part of £2k on it as I commute every day in all weathers. If you spend more on your kit then you can risk wearing a shirt and trousers underneath without any issue. Obviously if you go for cheaper kit then the waterproofing will not last and you will get wet at some point. It is therefore worth carrying a top box with either your clothes in or spares in or leaving spares at work.

If you're planning on all weather every day commuting then you should invest in a good suit that'll cope with it. For advice on that look in the back of ride magazine or ask about here. The expensive ones will last a lot lot longer than the cheaper ones as well as being far better in ways you can't appreciate until you ride in one and then the other.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Hmmm

I wonder how many couriers spend £2k on kit?

Whilst some people choose to spend £1000's on riding kit, it reallty isn't necessary. Lots of people commute on a daily basis with similar levels of protection for a fraction of the expense.

Reply to this Topic
chrismscotland

Mar 12

Cheers

Thanks folks a great help!!! Booking my CBT tomorrow, now I need to decide Honda CBF 125 or Varadero.....

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

philehidiot...

2k on a suit......where you going ....the Moon?.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
bikergrrl

Nov 11

bikergrrl says:

Oldenuff's

advice is sound. Personally I take my work gear all folded neatly in a knox K-pack (it's the new one, comes with a waterproof cover as well in case it rains) and I change in the loo at work. But I am more of a sports bike girl so I wear leathers (can't fit work clothes under those). I don't change shoes at work because I ride in my new rocks (not really work suitable but I can get away with it here) other people just leave a set of work shoes in their drawers or under their desk. I find doing it this way as well if it's a particularly hot day I have fresh clothes to wear in the office, which is nice. And being a women I'd be taking a bag to work anyway so the backpack is no hassle. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices