Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

soapes

May 10

soapes says:

More insurance confusion

Hi,

I have a full bike licence which includes cat B1 (trikes,small cars etc). I am now doing my driving test to get full car (cat B).

Now I've had my full licence for 20years, to get a full car licence counts as upgrading my licence, so I don't need to do the theory test, just practical. The worry I have is will a car insurer take into account 20years of experience or will they just class me as a new driver?

The quotes I've got are either £500 (for a Ford Focus/Peugeot 206/Corsa) if my 20 years count or...£1500 if I'm classed as a new driver!!Which is more than the car would cost to buy.

Does anyone have any experience of this, if so I'd be grateful for any advice.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 March 2012 23:55)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It'll depend

who exactly your insurer is, but I have a feeling they'll class you as a newbie....

Often what you find with insurers is that you earn bike and car NCB separately, but convictions / accidents tend to up the premiums on both, but thats the insurance sector for you....

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Sucks

I've done a lot of research in insurance recently, but for the other way round (car driver moving over to bikes).

Unfortunately, NCB can't be transferred between car/bike policies. Some insurance companies let you specify both if going from a car to a bike, but not the other way around.

Also - I think you do need to do a theory test. The theory test for bikes and cars is slightly different (e.g. questions will focus on bike positioning rather than car positioning etc.), so you need to do another test whenever you add a new category of vehicle (but not an upgrade within the vehicle cat.). See the DVLA website here.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

bike to car.

Thanks for advice, not looking good for cheap car insurance!

I have checked the theory test, as I got my full bike licence before 2001 cat B1 was included in my full licence entitlement, by taking a car practical the B1 is being upgraded to B so no need for theory test.

It's not the NCB issue with the insurance, it that the insurance companies seem to disregard having 20+ years experience on bikes (and in the odd small car) when getting quotefor a car policy.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As always with insurance

the best advice is to shop around.

Some insurers are going to give you daft quotes, others may give you a complimentary year / new customer discount.

You may find however, that if you have a bike policy and a car policy with the same insurer, you'll get more generous discounts etc.

Don't know who you're with atm, but if you're not already with them, try Aviva; I'm with them and (touch wood) they've always been quite competitive price-wise, that said I've never made a claim so I've no idea what they're like there.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

insurance

I'm with Hastings Direct (this year) I've spoken to them and they don't seem to know how it works themselves. The problem seems to be the catagory B1 thing. Legally I've had a full licence for small cars for 20 years, but insurers appear to have forgotten about this catagory. It looks as though they won't recognise 20years experience and will class me as a "new" driver and charge an extra £1000+ for the privilage!

For some reason I was under the mistake that at my age insurance should actually be affordable!

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Might be worth a call

To Carole Nash. I had similar probs a couple of years ago when I finally succumbed to being a car owner:upset:. I'm now on a six wheel policy with both car (of sensible type!) and 'Blade on fully comp with full European Breakdown cover for £450 approx :smile (Have to acknowledge I'm getting on a little though!!)  

Mind you, my renewal's due soon so I'm hoping it doesn't go daft like I've heard has happened to quite a few on here!!:ph43r:

Granted C.N. isn't always the cheapest, but I can only speak from my experience that they're customer service is second to none and that's not just during renewal time! Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Hope you get it sorted bud:smile    

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Thanks

Will give Carole Nash a go.

Hastings direct have got back to me to kindly inform me they'd class me as a new driver.

Strikes me as a very unfair system, I'm stuggling to think of any other type of company/organisation that would completely ignore 20 years experience, I suppose they do have meet their multi-million £ profit forcasts and still have enough left over for vast bonus's!

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

They will shaft you when ever they can. They will class you as a new driver..... But!

Dont forget to tell them about any claims or convictions in the last 5 years. Because if you dont, they will invalidate your insurance.

Makes sense doesn't it. They take your driving history into account regarding claims and convictions, but treat you as if you have never driven when you wish to pay for a policy. :blink:

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Small Cars

Depending on when the licence was issued as to what the codes mean.

They changed at various time to match the Europe categries and 'grandfather rights' applied.

From what I understand of the rules is that going from a B1 licence to a B WOULD involve  a theory test followed within 2 years by a practical test.

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Theory

I've checked and rechecked, I definately don't need to do the theory.

My brother did the same a few years ago and didn't need to do the theory either.

At least not having to do that I'll have a bit more cash towards insurance!

Also discovered today that if I drive a small car (on my B1 licence) insurance would cost me around £500, but if I pass my car test and insure the same vehicle on a full car licence I'll have to pay around £1000!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices